Alaska newbie, many questions

live2beontheseas

I am thinking of surprising my parents with a cruise to Alaska in 2007 (there ultimate vacation wish) and I have a few questions:

1. What time is best? I have heard June/July, but is late August/Early Sept ok too? I know the prices are usually cheaper as the season is winding down.

2. What cruise line/ship? I have only been on RCCL (to the Caribbean) and my parents only on Carnival (way back in the 80’s). I have heard that Princess is the best for Alaska, but would like to hear from everybody that has been to Alaska. Ship and cruise line comparisons would be great.

3. Round-trip or one-way? I would think that round-trip would be much easier and cheaper. Isn’t airfare horribly expensive for a one-way to/from Anchorage? They will not be doing any cruise tours.

4. About how much? I will definitely be getting then a balcony and was hoping to not go over $1500pp w/out air. Is that possible? I will be booking as soon as the 2007 rates come out for the best prices and they usually increase. When do rates come out for 2007?

Thanks for all your help. Answers to any or all of the above would be appreciated. If anyone has links to others threads with similar info please let me know.

You are off to a great start by coming here. I have heard that Princess is one of the best for Alaska as I read these posts. I haven't gone yet, but am going Princess in August. Many say HAL is great. For round-trip, you need to choose departure city, Seattle or Vancouver being the most popular, longer cruises out of San Francisco. You will get different answers on the weather, cruise-line, round-trip, one-way. Give more information. Do your parents need the convienience of a round-trip? Would you want to stick to the 7-day trips or a bit longer? Your price seems reasonable, you can use the TA's such as *****.com or *****.com to get a great rate. Prices are lower in very late August into September because school vacations are over, also May and September because of weather.

I am taking Carnival to Alaska on Aug 29, 2007.

I have done alot of research and you are right, June/July is the cheapest, but it is also the busiest. The weather is different in Aug/Sept, but not enough to sway me to change. My PVP with Carnival also suggested this date.

:cool: I can't wait to go, have fun making your decisions.

We did Princess last year RT Seattle on the Sapphire. It was great if you are economizing. From reading the posts here and talking to friends, it seems the one ways are more spectacular going into Glacier Bay, so if you can afford the extra airfare, that is probably the way to go. No matter what you choose, it will be wonderful, I'm sure. Princess was great, but have friends that loved the Carnival Alaska cruise they took, so I would say go for whatever fits your budget and it will be wonderful!

With you not considering any interior land touring, my top recommended suggestion is HAL round trip out of Vancouver with both Glaicer Bay and Tracy Arm sailing. It is a superb itinerary, one of the best in my opinion. I have cruised on 5 different lines for 12 cruises in Alaska, there are many choices and considerations.

So consider looking at ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price, budget fully for costly excursions, you get only half a trip without them.

In the past RCI did not have a ship naturalist, including my last trip 8-05, had only a so so invisable "lecturer". Clearly no comparism to the wonderful ship naturalists I have sailed with on Carnival, Princess and HAL.

I travel Alaska mid to late August the most, wonderful time, but I would not consider a cruise past the first week of Sept. just too unpredictable and iffy for weather.

my top recommended suggestion is HAL round trip out of Vancouver with both Glaicer Bay and Tracy Arm sailing.

I just watched a video of a northbound cruise. The best part of the cruise,itself, is these sights (Glaciers, icefields). If you are going with a round-trip, I would second the recommendation above. My Princess one-way includes Glacier Bay and College Fjords. I won't be dissappointed. Just make sure the cruise includes some wonderful sights.

How wonderful of you to do this for your parents! One thing I would consider is location of the cabin you choose for them. If you are thinking of a huge ship like Sapphire Princess or even some of the large HA ships like Oosterdam or RCI's Radiance of the Seas, it is a LONG way from one end of those ships to the other! So, if their cabin is in the front of the ship and the dining is in the back of the ship and they have been touring and "on their feet all day," it might be nice to be close to a dining venue in the evening. Because of the newer big ships we've been sailing on for the last couple of years we pay much more attention to the Deck Plans, elevator locations, access to outside decks, dining locations, etc., than we ever did before. Next month we will be on the Sapphire Princess (huge) to Mexico, and in May we will be on HA's Volendam (much smaller ship) for the Inside Passage roundtrip from Vancouver. When we return I'll have some further thoughts on how the size of these ships played a part in our enjoyment of the cruise. We love to cruise, and I have always been happy on every ship, but we are not as young as we used to be, and our balcony cabin location has become an important decision for us.

What a great gift you are giving your folks - it will be one of their lifetime memories to cherish. Do listen to Budget Queen's advice wherever you see it because it is always sound, to the point, and comes with much experience. We have taken 2 Alaskan Cruises - the first with Holland in August, round trip out of Vancouver and the 2nd with Princess in early July, round trip out of Seattle. By FAR, our Holland cruise was the best. First of all the ship (Zaandam) was smaller and got so close to the glaciers in Glacier Bay. Also, we cruised out of Vancouver and stayed on the Inside Passage with its gorgeous scenery from the first minute. When we cruised Princess out of Seattle, the ship goes on the W. side of Vancouver Island and all you see is ocean for the first day or more. Out of Vancouver the ships go on the E. side of V. Island. This is a huge deal to me because I am going to Alaska for its beauty, not to look at the water. We found Late August-Sept. to be prime time because most kids are back in school and heh, I love kids, but not running all over the ship, up and down the halls at midnight, on my vacation. Also, the Salmon were running up the creek in downtown Ketchikan (what a treat) and all the towns had great end of season sales. Great savings on tees, hats, sweats, etc. By all means, Glacier Bay is the greatest. We have paid about $1,300 pp for wonderful Balcony rooms for the last 2 years. Holland gave us a bump up to a suite because we paid for a Guarantee Balcony, and with Princess we booked our specific balcony room and got no bump up. On one ship we were in the back of the ship, the other we were in the front - no difference in motion - both superb. If there is much motion you will feel it anywhere on the ship (another reason not to go out of Seattle because you do get some "ocean motion" - sometimes quite a lot). We had great naturalist on both ships. I do think that the smaller the ship, the closer you will get to the glaciers and to the scenery. Holland and Princess both had lots to do onboard and lots of shore excursions to choose from. Also, do follow these boards to find out great info on every aspect of the trip - everything you need to know you can find out here. One last thought - on Holland we had a set dining time - the late dining at night with the same guests - a table of 8. It was great. We enjoyed this better than using any of the Personal Choice dining areas whenever we wanted and sitting alone most of the time on Princess. These are absolutely my own personal thoughts on cruising Alaska. It is one awesome experience - the greatest cruises we have taken by far. gg

With all the discount airlines, I'm not sure that RT air is that much cheaper than multi-segment. For example, we are cruising from Whittier to Vancouver this July on the Coral. We booked Air from Philadelphia to Anchorage and from Vancouver to Philly for about the same price as round trip to Vancouver. Do some price checking -- see if it really makes a difference.

It didn't for us.

With all the discount airlines, I'm not sure that RT air is that much cheaper than multi-segment. For example, we are cruising from Whittier to Vancouver this July on the Coral. We booked Air from Philadelphia to Anchorage and from Vancouver to Philly for about the same price as round trip to Vancouver. Do some price checking -- see if it really makes a difference.

It didn't for us.

There can be significant pricing differences if you fly Seattle. I payed $250 for next month's trip, add $45 hotel, (split by 2), Amtrak, $23 and about $35 in cabs (again to be split), it's still way cheaper then the $400+++ rates I get for open jaw, with Anchorage.

It didn't for us.

True enough. I did my homework and didn't spend more on one-ways. Our flights are complicated, involving meeting different people from different cities, but your doesn't have to be. Alaskan Airlines (or others)can be added to R/T connections from Seattle or Vancouver. But for simplification, they will love the R/T cruise.

gg3- thanks for all the information. It seems as if you are a pro on Alaska. Interesting as I was thinking that Seattle would be easier port with less customs and stuff, but if you don't see any scenery the first day, why bother. Like you said, you go to Alaska for the scenery, not the water.

budgetqueen- you got $250 roundtrip to seattle? Is that from Syracuse? My parents live in Buffalo and wonder is their price will be similar as the two cities are relatively close. Which airline are you flying? Are you going out of Seattle or Vancouver. If Vancouver, how are you getting their from Seattle? My parents are in their mid-50's (not super old) but my mom does have some problems walking and not too sure if taking cabs, trains, etc. would be easier then just taking a flight right to Vancouver.

Is there much difference between the Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay? Which is better in your opinions? Seems as though most lines stop at the same cities just different glaciers.

Seems as though all of you say that HAL is probably to best for Alaska, I would appreciate comparisons between different lines if you have done that. Thanks all.

budgetqueen- you got $250 roundtrip to seattle? Is that from Syracuse? My parents live in Buffalo and wonder is their price will be similar as the two cities are relatively close. Which airline are you flying? Are you going out of Seattle or Vancouver. If Vancouver, how are you getting their from Seattle? My parents are in their mid-50's (not super old) but my mom does have some problems walking and not too sure if taking cabs, trains, etc. would be easier then just taking a flight right to Vancouver.

Is there much difference between the Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay? Which is better in your opinions? Seems as though most lines stop at the same cities just different glaciers.

Seems as though all of you say that HAL is probably to best for Alaska, I would appreciate comparisons between different lines if you have done that. Thanks all.

Yes round trip Syr- Sea on United. I will be taking Amtrak, $23+, staying at the Seattle Airport- cheap and add about $35+ in cabs. Yes, I am sailing out of Vancouver.

Frankly- ANY glacier sailing is spectacular, so certainly Hubbard will offer a great sailing day. There is no "perfect" cruise, but it pays to understand differences and make your choices based on your priorities. :)

I have sailed 5 lines to Alaska, I continue to give an edge to HAL, I like their wonderful , "smaller" ships, great deck viewing space. And if going one way- their Seward port will always be top on my list. :) But I've enjoyed every cruise to Alaska I have taken. :)

Archived