Drinks questions

katef529

I'm looking at the food and drink menus for different venues and it's making me curious.  Can we only order drinks that are on the menu for the selected venue or can we also order other basic drinks such as a margarita or rum and coke?  Same question for mocktails...will each bar have ingredients for basic mocktails?  Thanks for the help for 1st time VV sailors!

Almost every bar can do almost every classic cocktail, or spirits and mixers etc. The main difference is what the particular bar's specialty is. E.g., I've had Martinis, Manhattans, Margaritas, Last Words, Sidecars, Aviations etc from just about every bar on the ship.

The main exception is that indoor bars do not have blenders so if you want blended frozen drinks you can only get them at the pool bars. Pretty much every standard cocktail and spirit can be ordered at any bar. With beer the Draught Haus should have the biggest selection, other bars will be more limited on beer selection.

My wife's favorite wine is a variety of Belglos that is only available at the Wake so we started going there for a pre-dinner beverage. After a couple of visits the sommelier came out and told us he'd be happy to bring a glass or bottle to any of the restaurants so we didn't have to bother going to both places. 

On the other end of that spectrum, the Dock told us they didn't have a whiskey I had at Sip the previous night and had no idea if it was anywhere in the ship. 

Most bars can make pretty much any classic cocktail, and even some you might not think of, such as chocolate martinis. If you're ordering something less common off menu that a server may not be familiar with, it might be better to order directly from the bar, but the bar tenders are generally skilled enough to make pretty creative off-menu cocktails and the servers are pretty knowledgeable as well. 

In terms of non-alcoholic options, many bars have both Seedlip and a non-alcoholic sparkling wine, even if neither is listed on the menu, and can turn many drinks on their menu into non-alcoholic options, and pretty much universally can make non-alcoholic mojitos and bloody marys.

Sometimes if you want a certain wine or liquor, as previous posts said, they won't be at all bar locations but basic drinks will.  Also, they may make a certain drink at more than one location but I found that the esspresso martini was best made by the bartenders at On The Rocks!