Dress Code

artvlay

It's been six years since our last QM2 cruise and we have basic questions regarding the dress code. 

We are going to be on a seven night crossing from Brooklyn to Southampton. When we disembark we will spend a few days traveling in Europe before taking a 14 day Royal Caribbean cruise. 

Traditionally we enjoy the formal nights and dressing up but this time we are concerned about schlepping suitcases on trains and throughout our normal travel. In our late sixties we plan on being very conservative as to our packing for a month.

So, after my explanation here are my questions.

I am planning on bringing a dark sport coat, dress pants along with dress shirts and ties. My wife will be bringing a couple of nice dresses. Will we be out of place on formal night and the mascarade night? What are our dinner options for these two nights?

Thank you.

Nope. You won't.  If the sports jacket is dark and the trousers, too, with a dress shirt and tie... no one is going to object or should, especially if you in Britannia Restaurant. In the Grills, it's more formal by habit than code.  

You don't need to worry about the Masquerade Gala. It's just a Gala Night with a suggested theme. Our profile photo shows our last and likely next masquerade outfits, we just add small masks. But most people don't bother.

If the trousers and jacket are of similar colour you are more or less dressing in the "dark suit" mentioned in the photo attached. And if you are wearing a dress and drinking cocktails, that must be a "cocktail dress". 🙂

The majority of men wear tuxedos, but many wear suits as well.

2023-12-05.png.5def1e1964c134fefebcd1555bf0fcff.png

9 hours ago, artvlay said:

When we disembark we will spend a few days traveling in Europe before taking a 14 day Royal Caribbean cruise. 

You can then style it up on Royal Caribbean and show everyone how it’s done! Nothing wrong with lifting the Dress Code bar. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, NE John said:

You can then style it up on Royal Caribbean and show everyone how it’s done! Nothing wrong with lifting the Dress Code bar. 

Yes, wear a mask over my eyes and it will confirm that I am crazy.

• Haha 1

We're visiting Rome for a few days later this Spring. We might wear utility clothing while we walk past all the old places during the day but when going to dinner in the evenings we'll be dressed up. Not formal wear of course, but certainly suit and tie for me and dresses for my wife, as we wear to dinner on the Cote d'Azur.

It's unlikely to happen, but if we ever do sail on a ship other than QM2, the only reason for doing so would be to dress up and go for dinner each night, then find some music to dance to.