Casual Dining with Premium

How does this work?  Do we have to get the fixed price set menu or can we order up to a certain amount?  Specifically I'm looking at sushi, we only like certain kinds of sushi and I'm wondering if we can use our premium here or we'd have to pay out of pocket?

Guest Snaxmuppet

One appetizer, one main, one dessert all from the predefined list of items. If you want anything else... extra courses or something not on the pre-defined, fixed price, menu, then you pay.

It is all rather silly if you ask me.

10 minutes ago, katmigordon said:

How does this work?  Do we have to get the fixed price set menu or can we order up to a certain amount?  Specifically I'm looking at sushi, we only like certain kinds of sushi and I'm wondering if we can use our premium here or we'd have to pay out of pocket?

Currently it depends on the ship and its facilities. This has been my experience on the Sapphire, Majestic and Discovery.

On the Sapphire, the sushi is not made to order in front of you. You are not allowed to customize in any way and your only choice is the ‘set’ menu. Of course you can choose to omit any items. You cannot ask for only one type of nigiri, you get ebi(shrimp), salmon and tuna. The maki(roll) is the spicy tuna roll.

I believe they have changed the menu to the ‘set’ menu on the Majestic, as I originally was able to have a ‘choice’ of maki rolls, but believe it is the ‘set’ menu only now.

My last experience on Discovery in February 2024, I could customize what type of nigiri I wanted which was usually all ebi(shrimp). I could also request California roll instead of the spicy tuna roll and others have reported they will do veggie rolls too. If you wanted any other items not on the set menu, you would have to pay ala carte.

I am not sure if the sushi place on the Sun is considered a ‘casual’ dining as I believe ‘Kai Sushi’ on the Diamond is not.

So it depends on what are the policies on your particular ship. I think the Sapphire is the most restrictive because the sushi is not made in front of you at Ocean Terrace like most Royal Class ships and no substitutions allowed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, katmigordon said:

If we have premium and therefor can order as much as we want can we order than one meal at a time?

Yes, of the set menu items or substitution items they allowed, such as they did for me on the Discovery. I noticed a passenger ordered ‘double’ and saw him multiple times and it was verified he had the Premier pkg.

1 minute ago, wallyj said:

Yes, of the set menu items or substitution items they allowed, such as they did for me on the Discovery. I noticed a passenger ordered ‘double’ and saw him multiple times and it was verified he had the Premier pkg.

And I assume that the stuff listed on the menu under special is out of pocket?

3 minutes ago, katmigordon said:

And I assume that the stuff listed on the menu under special is out of pocket?

Yes, included at no additional charges at no limit are items from the set menu or allowed ‘substitutions’ such as all ebi, so no salmon or tuna, CA roll instead of Tuna roll. Other items such as Octopus, scallops, etc would be at menu price.

25 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Yes, included at no additional charges at no limit are items from the set menu or allowed ‘substitutions’ such as all ebi, so no salmon or tuna, CA roll instead of Tuna roll. Other items such as Octopus, scallops, etc would be at menu price.

But it looks like all maki are up for grabs?

57 minutes ago, katmigordon said:

But it looks like all maki are up for grabs?

I am not sure. CA roll is very similar to the Set menu tuna roll without the seared tuna on top. Veggie roll is a simplified CA roll without imitation crab. I did not see any other allowed substitutions, so you can ask, but I did not see many orders that were not within these choices, except where I heard they were ordering ala carte and out of pocket.

I am on the Enchanted May4-18, so I will ask what is the policy on that ship.

YMMV.

Re: sushi swaps...I was on the Enchanted about a week ago.  We had "Plus", not "Premium".

See photo:  I swapped nigri to all tuna, no problem, at least on this ship. 

I recall he also said we could swap between the two maki provided.  We didn't.  We also ordered an extra roll, retail price, that you see off to the right.

image.png.e5a6f07599fa6f8d31fa03ed45085375.png

• Thanks 1