Is alternative/specialty dining cheaper if purchased once onboard vs booking before boarding?

newbie202020

My Cunard for my next QM2 (August, so a month after the OP) also has Verandah lunch at $25 at the moment. I have Coriander rather than Bamboo, and that does show the higher amount, $31.50 booked in advance.

On my QM2 sailing last week, Verandah lunch - on board - was $35, and Bamboo also $35 for the evening meal. Verandah dinner was $65. So the onboard price rise is already in place.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

Wow, I feeling happy I booked Bamboo in advance--assuming the old price of $20 is honored, right?

Yes it will be honoured, lucky you - I hope you bought a lottery ticket on the same day. (Plus you won't need to count the pennies when booking Cunard!).

• Haha 1

Cunard seem to be turning the screw with regards to large increases across all aspects of cruising. Can't help but think that it will be a backward step as it will certainly stop me from booking speciality restaurants. I should also imagine that onboard drinks will have increased along with recent drinks package increases and the stopping of taking spirits onboard. Where will it end.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Cunard seem to be turning the screw with regards to large increases across all aspects of cruising. Can't help but think that it will be a backward step as it will certainly stop me from booking speciality restaurants. I should also imagine that onboard drinks will have increased along with recent drinks package increases and the stopping of taking spirits onboard. Where will it end.

Have they stopped people taking spirits on board?

On this voyage, I believe, the specialty restaurants are fully booked. What that implies about the MDR food I don’t know, though ours has been very good.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, newbie202020 said:

Is the Verandah dinner worth it? I won't have enough OBC to cover the costs. 

I wouldn’t have thought so, unless the food in the dining rooms has significantly deteriorated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Have they stopped people taking spirits on board?

During a call (two weeks ago) to a US based Cunard rep, he adamantly stated that there are no changes to the current Cunard policy of bringing spirits/wine onboard. 
Some are assuming, because P&O is changing policy, that Cunard is following suit. 
From what I was told - no changes. But as we know, Cunard policies and communications could vary but with this booze issue, doubtful. 
If Americans can bring booze onboard and Britons can’t, Cunard may end up with a reverse occurrence of the Boston Tea Party, this time the “other” side throwing the tea overboard!

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1