13 day Yukon + Denali. 2 questions

We are leaving on August 14, 2024 from Vancouver. I could not find a roll call? Two questions for those who have done this trip. 
For those who did laundry at the hotels, was it a crazy wait? Did you have time?

Second, is the meal package worth it or do you wish you had other options?

thank you 

4 minutes ago, debiintahoe said:

We are leaving on August 14, 2024 from Vancouver. I could not find a roll call? Two questions for those who have done this trip. 

Alaska cruises at least on HAL often have either no roll call, or a very inactive one. Especially the Cruise-Tour are hard to organize, and the land portion may be sold before or after the cruise, which may continue after disembarking the tour pax.

HAL's laundry on board has a good reputation and the bag is economical -- just be sure to get it turned in in time to pack for the land portion!

1 hour ago, debiintahoe said:

Thank you. Any helpful hints or you’re not to be missed?

At Juneau I recommend almost any whale-watching excursion. As you'll be travelling by rail FROM Skagway on your land-tour, you don't need to take the day-train-trip. We have done the Gold Rush Camp lunch, and also had lunch at a brewpub. Just walking through the town and see what you find can be fun -- There is a walking tour map either on line, or at the little museum...

You chose well to leave from Vancouver for the full inside passage viewing!

We did the 9 day Yukon and Denali trip 2 years ago.  Had no issue with doing laundry in Dawson City.  We did not do the meal plan and did not regret it.  Dawson City is an easy place to walk to grocery store or restaurants.  We liked having options for eating and getting away from the crowds.  Denali Lodge is on a steep hill so walking to other places outside of the lodge area may be challenging for some.  Princess Lodge was next door and had several eating options and then across the highway were several restaurants.  There is reliable mini-bus transportation to get around.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, happercamper said:

We did the 9 day Yukon and Denali trip 2 years ago.  Had no issue with doing laundry in Dawson City.  We did not do the meal plan and did not regret it.  Dawson City is an easy place to walk to grocery store or restaurants.  We liked having options for eating and getting away from the crowds.  Denali Lodge is on a steep hill so walking to other places outside of the lodge area may be challenging for some.  Princess Lodge was next door and had several eating options and then across the highway were several restaurants.  There is reliable mini-bus transportation to get around.

This was very helpful. Thanks. Any other recommendations on things to do or avoid?

Our trip was the first summer after COVID shutdown so it was a bit different as everyone was trying to get tourism going again.  You have a longer trip so I am sure there is more to offer.  I would love to go back and take a longer tour.  

We ended up in Dawson City for two nights as our chartered plane had to return to Dawson City after a bird strike on our way to Fairbanks. (Not so easy to just grab another plane in the middle of nowhere).  We did the dome tour which was a simple bus ride but the view was wonderful.  The second night we did Gertie's and it was entertaining but I would not recommend it if there are other things you would rather do.  The riverboat was not running that summer.  There is a pathway along the river which was a nice walk.  We visited the Firefighter museum which we found interesting.  

We did not get to see Fairbanks except the airport due to our plane issues.  We were put on a charter bus to McKinney Lodge.  Denali is wonderful.  We had a flight excursion to the Arctic Circle scheduled but it was cancelled at the last minute.  We ended up instead at the dinner show at the Lodge which again was entertaining but not worth missing out on something else.

There is a dog sled tour by the National Park that is free.  It is not like the tours where you get to ride a sled or cuddle puppies but you do see the dogs and they do have a team pull a sled device on wheels.  It was fun to see the dogs in action and learn more about their job in the park during the winter.

The train ride to Anchorage from Denali was beautiful and relaxing.  You are in a double decker car with your tour group.  Best advice I have is to be flexible and don't expect everything to be perfect.  It is about the vast wilderness and beauty of the Yukon and Alaska.  You will have a tour guide with you that will make sure all your questions and concerns are addressed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1