Tax in Port on New England :/ Canada cruises

We are on the Joy from New York to Quebec later this year, and I’m trying to work out which ports we will be charged tax on drinks, before I commit to the upgraded drinks package.

I assume we will be charged in New York and Boston but what about the Canadian ports? Also when sailing down the St Lawrence? I’d appreciate any input from people who have done the cruise recently.

12 hours ago, smarterman64 said:

i don't know the tax (i can't remember), but i remember while in canadian ports, only 1 bar per deck could be open for NCL. 

Thanks,

Yes I meant to ask about the 1 bar per deck issue as well. I’m hoping that only applied when in port, and not whilst sailing down the river?

I’d just trying to set expectations, and if there was tax and restrictions on the bars for the final two days of the cruise then it would be good to know in advance.

I would have expected to have seen grumbling on these boards if there were issues, but you never know.

I did NY to Quebec on Joy last September. I don’t remember tax in Canada. With regard to the bar closures, it’s true that in port and Canadian water only one bar per deck will be open. It’s an inconvenience, especially if you want a drink with dinner. Wait staff has a long walk to get them. If I recall it was Atrium Bar (deck 6), OSheehans (deck 7) and Mojito Bar? (deck 8).  

When we were in the St Lawrence river the Freestyle Daily reflected that most bars would not open as we were continually in Canadian waters. However, the cruise director made an announcement that special permission had been received from Canadian authorities to allow the bars to open.  The unknown is…..how often is the special permission granted?  

Thanks for the comments. Looks like we need to be prepared for some possible issues on that sea day, but we will hope that they get the special permission.

Good news about the tax though.