Not sure who/if 2nd passenger in stateroom…Anyone had experience in adding passenger to a solo booking?

My son is thinking of joining us on an Aurora sailing next year. He is not sure who/if anyone will be sharing his stateroom. I’m not sure the best way to book his cabin- 

As a solo, and then add a possible passenger, or cancel/no show his cabin mate if necessary? Any advice on other’s experience? Thanks!

He would only be able to add an extra passenger later if there were still lifeboat places available for that area of the ship. This could be an issue particularly if the 3rd/4th places in other cabins were taken, so this is something to be taken into consideration.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Slugsta said:

He would only be able to add an extra passenger later if there were still lifeboat places available for that area of the ship. This could be an issue particularly if the 3rd/4th places in other cabins were taken, so this is something to be taken into consideration.

I was of the impression that there are enough spaces in the rescue craft for the maximum number of passengers that the ship may have plus crew - I have never seen the number of resuce craft being added to/removed for each cruise.

As an aside there are only enough spaces in the "lifeboats" for 75% of passengers/crew with half on each side of the ship.

I have added a second guest previously in 2021. My original booking was an outside cabin for solo occupation and incurred the charge for this.  Some months after booking my aunt wished to join me.  The cabin was repriced for two passengers at the price on the day of booking.  This resulted in a new invoice where I was refunded the solo supplement and my aunt was charged for her fare.  It was a simple administrative exercise.  There was never any mention of safety requirements, the booking was just amended to two people.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I have added a second guest previously in 2021. My original booking was an outside cabin for solo occupation and incurred the charge for this.  Some months after booking my aunt wished to join me.  The cabin was repriced for two passengers at the price on the day of booking.  This resulted in a new invoice where I was refunded the solo supplement and my aunt was charged for her fare.  It was a simple administrative exercise.  There was never any mention of safety requirements, the booking was just amended to two people.

Bear in mind that the OP is from the USA and as we all know they have a lot of different booking rules to the UK which could make a difference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, david63 said:

Bear in mind that the OP is from the USA and as we all know they have a lot of different booking rules to the UK which could make a difference.

Thanks for pointing this out....booking this trip has been a little challenging- I would think that a passenger is a passenger, no matter where they are from-

There is only one travel agency in the US that I can book through, and I have not always had consistent info when using others to book my travel. I just want to be sure that I have all my ducks in a row before I put down our deposit (which is higher than any other cruise that we have taken on other lines before).

• Like 1