My experience in Progreso

MattInFLL

I personally am not a fan of Mexico, so it probably does bias me. I have been to Cozumel a couple of times, Cancun and Playa del Carmen. I did spend a lovely week in Puerto Vallarta, but even there I felt a bit on edge. You always have to worry about food and drink, there's a lot of poverty, and I personally always have a feeling of not being safe. (And I will walk alone through the darker streets of NYC and feel just fine.)

Docking in Progreso is an experience. You are 4-5 miles away from town because of the shallowness of the water there. They are sprucing up the pier with all the new ship traffic, and the stores out on the pier actually had the best prices for souvenirs I saw anywhere - and the stuff is all the same no matter where you shop.

The cruise line will try to convince you to take their excursions, but in the pier building there is a tour/taxi service where you can arrange a variety of tours for a lot less money. We chose to take the shopping tour to Merida. The cruise cost was $45/person on a bus. 4 of us got a cab for $60 total. We tipped the guy $20 at the end, but still a much better deal.

Driving through Progreso, it seemed like a typical Mexican town. It reminded me of Ensenada. One big tourist area along the beach, and the rest rather grimy and industrial looking.

The drive to Merida is about 30 minutes down an almost completely straight and level highway. As you get close to Merida you see lots of US big box stores like Home Depot and Costco. Then you get into Merida and there are cobblestone streets, and it is more of an old Spanish Colonial town. At the heart of it, is a huge cathedral, in front of a big square, lined with tourist stores and small restaurants. The typical old world set up. And a ton of banks. Since Merida is the capital of the Yucatan, it is obviously a financial center. Lots of Mayan heritage, and the stores all have the same things to sell. The prices were outrageous. The restaurants did not look that interesting.

I've heard people call Merida charming. I don't get it. It's perfectly fine, but not a place I would go back to.

If I went back, I would either just plan on sitting on the beach in Progreso and having cheap beer (Merida is not on the ocean), or take a tour to check out the big ruins.

Just my opinion...

Thank you for taking the time to post all this great info! We will be visiting Progreso on our 4/8 cruise out of Galveston on the Ecstasy. We will be traveling with our two DS's (3 and 7), me, DH and my in laws. Our plans for Progreso are to check out the Dzib.... (can never remember how to spell it!) ruins. Can you confirm that we'd be able to get a van or some other larger vehicle to fit six from the tour/taxi service you used?

Thanks for the tips on the shopping. We'll be sure to check out the shops around the pier.

Thanks again for taking the time to post!

Hi. Thought I would post a little different view of Progreso/Merida than what Matt has experienced. I; ve been to the area 3 times now, once for a week long stay. Hoping to return in the fall. I have always felt completely safe. I have had the opportunity to eat in many of the restaurants in both Progreso and Merida. In most cases the food and service have been outstanding. I have never felt unsafe at any time during my visits. I usually travel with a girlfriend, and we have both found the people to be hospitable and charming. Yes, Progreso can seem a bit "grimy" when you get beyond the main tourist areas. This is traditional Mexico. It's how they live. One of my favorite things about travel is experiencing different cultures and learning from them. I recommend following the same safety precautions as when you travel anywhere. I think you'll have a great time. BTW- Matt, I hope law school ends soon so you can spend more time cruising! I know it's become one of my favorite pasttimes!!:)

Hi Margarita1time -

Yes, we are really enjoying researching the culture. My 7 year old is so excited - we were just on yucatantoday.com reading about Mayan culture, their food, way of life, etc. I am so excited for him to have this experience at his age. Young enough to really be in 'awe' but old enough to remember it. We can't wait!

Thanks so much for the info! I love CC and all of you who are willing to spend some time providing insight!! :)

Margarita1time. I couldn't agree more. I've been there twice on port calls on Celebrity, an 8 day land trip and last Oct 14 days.

Matt. I've been to Cancun, Cozumel 8 times plus the above trips to the Yucatan. Never once did I feel threatened and never once sick from food or drink. Thanks for your admission that you don't like Mexico in the first place.

I should clarify - in general I have not felt safe in Mexico. I have no explanation. I have lived in big cities with (probably) higher crime rates (NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago) and never felt the least bit unsafe, even late at night in dark neighborhoods. Maybe it's the poverty thing. Maybe it's while I was in Puerto Vallarta and members of our group would get stopped and picked up by the pick ups full of police officers with rifles..who basically came up with stuff like "you crossed the street in the wrong place.." and then waited for bribes. I don't know, but it's just been a gut instinct that I always feel on guard.

Anyway, on this day in Merida, I did not feel unsafe. A going-too-fast city bus tried to run a traffic light and came within inches of hitting me (I was on the sidewalk) :) ... but I did not feel unsafe from the people, and they all seemed pretty friendly. From the looks of it the tourist areas of Progreso are the same.

I love to travel and experience new places and cultures, and I have been very fortunate over the years to get to some amazing places. I have even done a private tour of Soweto in South Africa, where you go into the shanty town and experience a family's tin hut with the dirt floors (no running water, and 8 or so family members to a room). We donated so much money to the family, that other members of the community saw it, and when we left in the car, we were followed by guys with guns. Thankfully our driver outran them and we made it to a safe area. That was quite the adventure. So I am no stranger to edgy experiences and diverse cultures.

Anyway, as to the question about the tours/shops on the pier. When you walk off the ship, you immediately walk through the shopping area, and at the end of this area is the taxi/tour guy. I am sure that there are more choices of taxi sizes standing by in the morning. We got off the ship at noon, and there was one taxi..but he could have radioed for more. I also found many private tour options on the internet when I googled "progreso". If you need a larger vehicle, this might be the option for you. I am sure they can meet you in this same area. Passengers are not allowed to walk the 4 miles of pier into town. You either take the shuttle or a taxi or a tour bus.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Cruiznweids,

DD (she is 21) and I will be on the Ecstasy with ya'll. She will be out of school for spring break. We live north of Houston and will be driving down that morning to jump on board! She is MOST excited as it will be her first cruise. So, we'll look for 3 and 7 year olds and try to pick you out.

• 2 months later...

What can I say. I love Progreso and environs and Merida. I own a house in Centro of Merida and on the beach just east of Progreso in Uaymitun. See http://www.drennon.org/yucatan/pictures.html for pictures and take links.

This area of Mexico has the lowest crime rate in the country. International Living rates it the highest for any place to live in Mexico.. as does Mexican insider.

I love it here. Come with an open mind.

Bill

What can I say. I love Progreso and environs and Merida. I own a house in Centro of Merida and on the beach just east of Progreso in Uaymitun. See http://www.drennon.org/yucatan/pictures.html for pictures and take links.

This area of Mexico has the lowest crime rate in the country. International Living rates it the highest for any place to live in Mexico.. as does Mexican insider.

I love it here. Come with an open mind.

Bill

Bill.. What a beautiful home you have.. I have saved your website to my favorites for possible future plans..

We have been to Progresso once and looking at going back in about 4 months.. We didnt get to see much on our first trip but are looking forward to going back and getting to see more of this place.. We didnt particularly care for Merida but we think it was just a one off and would love to revisit there also..

Not everyone has the same taste. I am 31 and were in Progreso the first of may with my wife and another couple our age. We loved Progreso. We were actually very dissapointed in Cozumel and were more impressed with Progreso. We just shopped and hung out at the beach right next to the Corona Beach. Everyone there was so friendly and we found great bargains. My wife would even like to go back and visit some day. Dont stray from Progreso just because a few people on these boards dont like it because it is not all bad.

Archived