RCI Southbound Alaskan Cruisetour Questions RE: Boarding Time, The Key, and More

Posted (edited)

We're booked on a southbound RCI cruisetour for this summer (land first, then cruise boarding in Seward).  We had The Key on a previous RCI cruise and thought it was worth it, so we got it for the cruise portion of this cruisetour. The boarding day lunch was particularly nice. Now we're wondering how it actually works for this more unique situation and whether we should keep it or cancel it. 

From the description of The Key:

• Start your cruise with priority access into the terminal and enjoy personal drop‐off service that delivers your carry‐on bags directly to your stateroom.

Might we get this anyhow with the cruisetour service, or will our bags simply be handed over to us to check or bring onboard? I'm not exactly sure what happens at the Anchorage/Seward end of the tour and how we transition to the port/ship.

• Follow this up with an exclusive welcome lunch... 

I believe the ship departs at 8:00 PM. Are we really going to be onboard in time for lunch?  Heck, is ANYONE going to be onboard for lunch???  What time does boarding begin for an 8:00PM departure?

Would like to hear from those of you who've actually done a RCI southbound cruisetour and boarded the cruise portion in Seward.

Edited by Vagabond Knight

2 hours ago, Vagabond Knight said:

We're booked on a southbound RCI cruisetour for this summer (land first, then cruise boarding in Seward).  We had The Key on a previous RCI cruise and thought it was worth it, so we got it for the cruise portion of this cruisetour. The boarding day lunch was particularly nice. Now we're wondering how it actually works for this more unique situation and whether we should keep it or cancel it. 

From the description of The Key:

• Start your cruise with priority access into the terminal and enjoy personal drop‐off service that delivers your carry‐on bags directly to your stateroom.

Might we get this anyhow with the cruisetour service, or will our bags simply be handed over to us to check or bring onboard? I'm not exactly sure what happens at the Anchorage/Seward end of the tour and how we transition to the port/ship.

• Follow this up with an exclusive welcome lunch... 

I believe the ship departs at 8:00 PM. Are we really going to be onboard in time for lunch?  Heck, is ANYONE going to be onboard for lunch???  What time does boarding begin for an 8:00PM departure?

Would like to hear from those of you who've actually done a RCI southbound cruisetour and boarded the cruise portion in Seward.

You may have a cruisetour in the morning that you depart Seward.  We are on a 6B tour in September 2024 and our embarkation day has a tour that am for I believe (could be wrong) is about 6 hours.  This definitely will affect the lunch which is usually 12 to 130pm.  

The baggage, from my research, is transferred to the ship.  I read also that you pack a suitcase for the land portion and one for the cruise.  I may not have this part correctly though so don't go by me.

Honestly, if it were me, the Key really is not worth it in Alaska leaving from Seward.  If you are concerned about getting onboard quick, it probably won't happen with the land tour.  The lunch is nothing special (I've had it).  The internet has been reasonably priced.  Only way I'd do it is if the Key is cheaper than the internet.