Kansai Through Pass - 3 Day - Questions

hubofhockey

If anyone here has used the Kansai Pass, I have some questions.

Is it worth it?  

Is it more convenient or easier just to use an IC card?

This pass  seems to work for both Kyoto and Osaka.  We will be in Kyoto 2.5 days before our cruise and 1.5 days in Osaka during our cruise.

It seems as if you can use the pass on non-consecutive days and we would use it two days in Kyoto and one day in Osaka (doing an excursion to Nara the second day in Osaka).  The cost is around $35 per person.  I have no idea if $12 per day for worry free transit is good.  

On 4/8/2024 at 8:46 AM, hubofhockey said:

If anyone here has used the Kansai Pass, I have some questions.

Is it worth it?  

Is it more convenient or easier just to use an IC card?

This pass  seems to work for both Kyoto and Osaka.  We will be in Kyoto 2.5 days before our cruise and 1.5 days in Osaka during our cruise.

It seems as if you can use the pass on non-consecutive days and we would use it two days in Kyoto and one day in Osaka (doing an excursion to Nara the second day in Osaka).  The cost is around $35 per person.  I have no idea if $12 per day for worry free transit is good.  

If you calculate that your travel costs will be lower if you buy individual tickets for each journey, then it's not worth buying a  Pass. 

The Kansai Pass does not cover trains that are operated by Japan Railways (JR).. In Kyoto station, most trains are JR lines. City metro and buses are not, bus fare  is 230 yen, metro fare is by distance, as far I know, Nijō Castle, Nanzen-ji Temple and Imperial Palace located near a metro station.

• Like 1