Papeete to Guam on Seabourn Pursuit and pre stay at Brando Resort

kej1

Yesterday we were in Orluuk Lagoon, Micronesia and it was a really nice day.  The island really only has 6 inhabitants.  It’s tiny but located in a great spot for snorkeling.  We snorkeled off the zodiac platform on a beautiful deep reef which had terrific clarity. Lovely coral and lots of fish including reef sharks.  I’d rate it in the top two snorkeling spots we’ve had so far.  They did not bring out the submarine and didn’t dive.

Today as I write this we are entering Chuuk Lagoon ( aka Truk) in Micronesia where we have a day full of water activities.  Submarine has permission to dive the San Francisco Maru, the scuba group will dive another ship wreck, and there will be snorkeling over a shallow airplane wreck and another location.  We are doing the submarine again as that wreck is quite deep and then will snorkel as well.  More later!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kej1 said:

Yesterday we were in Orluuk Lagoon, Micronesia and it was a really nice day.  The island really only has 6 inhabitants.  It’s tiny but located in a great spot for snorkeling.  We snorkeled off the zodiac platform on a beautiful deep reef which had terrific clarity. Lovely coral and lots of fish including reef sharks.  I’d rate it in the top two snorkeling spots we’ve had so far.  They did not bring out the submarine and didn’t dive.

Today as I write this we are entering Chuuk Lagoon ( aka Truk) in Micronesia where we have a day full of water activities.  Submarine has permission to dive the San Francisco Maru, the scuba group will dive another ship wreck, and there will be snorkeling over a shallow airplane wreck and another location.  We are doing the submarine again as that wreck is quite deep and then will snorkel as well.  More later!

Thanks much for the intel.  New ports for us and the beginning of our trip in September.

Hey kej1

Just wanted to shout out gratitude for your terrific, wonderfully helpful journey posts. You’re the type of balanced, articulate, observant contributor here that adds real experiential value to others and, just as much, enjoyment in the receiving. 

Your generous communication as to your time and effort has helped and enlivened me in numerous ways but more particularly in thinking forward to our forthcoming Australian Kimberley-on-Pursuit cruise in July 2024 upcoming. 

My wife and I are seasoned cruisers, especially with SB. 

Your not-complimentary notations re the alleged SB ‘expeditions planning and expertise’ have ringed very true for me as SB Australia have consistently mucked about in the most confusing manner re what type and number of unpaid and paid expeditions will or will not be available on this forthcoming cruise. The date when ‘all will be explained’ in this regard has changed and been postponed endless times and we still have…zero. This despite SB’s constant promo marketing hype re its supposed global capability in long range expeditions planning and execution. You’d think they were the modern day Christopher Columbuses the way they self-boast in this area of competence whilst taking on the business risk of not one but two high end expedition cruise ships (btw they’re having trouble filling both).

Adding this to your recent comments re mixed food quality and an on board chefs’ declarations re ‘not a priority on expedition ships’…well, yikes, what can one say given SB has no compunction in charging serious $ premiums for these types of cruises and big time hyping up just about every aspect of the related ‘expedition’ product.  

Noting as one does that SB has now had no less than 3 changes of Presidents in 4 years, one increasingly wonders why, and its consequences. No business’ quality ever exceeds the calibre of its leadership. 

On the positives, great that you’ve enjoyed generally good service, quality of staff, and the continuing joys of the stunning geography of the Sth Pacific region. Isn’t it just another confirmation of the love we deserve to have for this wondrous planet and the vast pleasure of exploring it. 

• Like 3

We had another fantastic day in Chuuk Lagoon.  I wouldn’t mind repeating this port in the future. We did the submarine again and if this is something you want to try it is a great place to do it if you are interested in seeing old ship wrecks.  They received permission so my husband jumped on it.  I was reluctant as we’d done before earlier in the trip and I thought it was a one and done experience.  But he talked me into it and it was really interesting.  We saw the San Francisco Maru, a very large Japanese ship sunk by American forces during Operation Hailstone.  We could see the ship clearly with tanks, ammunition, etc. There was also some coral and fish.  It was much more interesting than our previous sub experience on Jidari island, Ghizo in the Solomans where the snorkeling was much better.

The snorkeling in Chuuk was good too, but nothing surpassed the snorkeling on Orluk Lagoon.  We thought the best of the trip but I’m sure so much if it depends on the weather, the current, etc.  Tons of fish, reef shark, beautiful coral and fans.  
We talked to some of the scuba divers and they dive a different wreck and were happy too.

There was also a last minute addition to Chuuk for those interested in seeing the WW2 airfield. We couldn’t make the hike as it conflicted with our sub experience but I’ll try to find out if it was worthwhile.

Well, we are at the end of the line, two sea days and we will be in Guam.  I will write up a general overall report on things in the next few days.  I have to say we are sad to leave despite the issues so that’s a positive!  We did sign up for August 2025 trip  from Kimberly to Lautoka in Fiji.  It’s 34 days and covers a few of the same ports but mostly different - lots of the southern Indonesia area.   I’m hoping with feedback ( which I will give) they will greatly improve the way they organize and communicate the activities and expeditions.  I believe a lot of the logistics have been left to the expedition team , many who have never been to some of the stops, so hopefully it will improve in time.  For many of the places I read other competitors sites that clearly showed many things offered and yes that’s what we did.  We all know things can change but being able to sign up for activities in advance and planning your day is something almost everyone I’ve spoken to desires.  

I’m signing off for now bit I’ll be back with a summary, and finally some photos!😎 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Globalia said:

more particularly in thinking forward to our forthcoming Australian Kimberley-on-Pursuit cruise in July 2024 upcoming. 

I will be on Pursuit's first Kimberly cruise in June. So I can let you know what expeditions we get then. Having done a Kimberley cruise last year I am not expecting them to use the submarine due to tides in the area but I might be surprised. 

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I will be on Pursuit's first Kimberly cruise in June. So I can let you know what expeditions we get then. Having done a Kimberley cruise last year I am not expecting them to use the submarine due to tides in the area but I might be surprised. 

Thank you! Re the submarine: FWIW SB Sydney told me that the Pursuit would definitely not be using it for the Kimberley programs. 

Here is my almost post cruise summary of Seabourn Pursuit Papeete to Guam.  Actually it was two segments : Papeete to Honaria and Honaria to Guam.  A bit over half got off in Honaria and flew by charter to Sydney.  This first segment had a bit over 200 passengers.  The second segment was almost full and seemed it.  Dining room was more crowded as were excursions.  

Part 1:

Ship:  Beautiful, lots of outdoor space, lots of places to sit outside or on the various indoor venues.  Seabourn square was pretty busy indoors and sometimes outdoors ( some days just to hit and humid to sit there).  But you could also go to the forward lounge on deck 6 which wasn’t crowded, or even the forward lounge on deck nine ( no service but a nice place to sit and read or catch up on work or email with a coffee or tea from the square).  It had very few people during the day.

We did not us the pool but others seemed to enjoy a dip.  It’s small but people used it.  There are sun loungers located all over the ship and many other than those by the pool were empty.   But it was hot  and humid so only a couple of handfuls of people were sitting in the sun.  

Suites:  We had a signature suite on the aft of deck 8 and loved it.  It’s a beautiful suite with a living area, bedroom, large deck and a hot tub, We didn’t use the hot too much as it was quite warm and humid but did use it a few times.  You do need housekeeping or maintenance e to adjust the temperature.  They kept ours like warm which was fine for this trip.   You can hear noise from the club on deck 9 sometimes  ( thump thump from music) I’m a light sleeper - did not effect my husband at all.  You can also hear the ship’s positioning system as they rarely need to use anchors on this ship.  And you can hear people walking around upstairs in the morning - I’m assuming moving furniture around and cleaning as the club is closed.   None of this was too bothersome and would not prevent me from booking this room but good to know.  

We did often have drinks in the evening on our deck and a few times breakfast.  We really liked it and would book it again although since this was a pretty active cruise we probably didn’t use it as much as one could but since I had to work part of the time it was a wonderful spot for working!

We met some people staying in the two story Wintergarden Suite and it was beautiful.  Gorgeous floor to ceiling glass with killer views.  Deck smaller but views fantastic.  I can see this would be very popular as well. 

Other suites we saw looked very nice and on an active cruise like this more than adequate as you don’t spend a lot of time in your room ( except those of us like me that had to work some of the time). Starlink was great and with the upgraded package more than adequate.  Even was able to do some zoom calls and if course FaceTime.  

Dining:  It was fair to very good depending.  It seems we are at a point now where we are running out of some things.  I think it’s pretty hard to provision on many of these ports.  I’m sure they will stock up in Guam.  We had a couple of special meals which we enjoyed.  I asked again the other night and was pretty much told no - don’t know if the issue was provisioning or not but I didn’t push it. ( I had asked for Dover sole).  The MDR tended to be the venue of choice.   We ate occasionally on the patio outside the Colunnade for dinner which was also popular but inside was rarely full at dinner.  I personally just don’t care for the atmosphere in the Colunnade indoors as it reminds me of a college cafeteria.  And the food was typically only fair although it was nice to sit outside on occasion in the evening.  Lunches got old fast as the MDR was only open  on sea days.  When only the Colunnade was open it was very crowded and the patio seating where we would sit always had a wait.  Lunches in the MDR were never crowded but I’d say they typically had a between ten- twenty tables depending on the day.  It was a much more relaxing place to eat lunch.

We had room service breakfast most days and it was very well done.  We often had caviar in our room in the evenings and did room service lunch twice.  I asked a couple of times on the patio if I could order from the room service menu and was told no but I saw several others did so I suppose it’s possible.  I think I wasn’t assertive enough when asking.  

Now I’m off to a lecture.  Part two to come later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 5/13/2024 at 9:33 AM, frantic36 said:

Have a great time on your cruise!  I’m sure you will.  We already miss being on the ship!

and when you can let us know what’s happening as we are still signed up for Kimberly to Lautoka Aug 2025!  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, kej1 said:

Have a great time on your cruise!  I’m sure you will.  We already miss being on the ship!

and when you can let us know what’s happening as we are still signed up for Kimberly to Lautoka Aug 2025!  

Thank you! We are counting down the days to board as we have never done the expedition ships before and your comments about the suite has heightened our excitement. We have friends in the Wintergarden, Panorama and Verandah Suites so we will be able to see a good range. 

I will try to ask around to get viewpoints for various excursions. I am interested in village culture as well as scenery and wildlife so we will be interested in the lectures and what excursions they offer. 

Hope your flight is good and you enjoy your time in Hawaii. 

Posted (edited)

I see SCUBA was available at Chuuk Lagoon. But the total spaces was 6-8 people? That seems awfully low. Chuuk is a world-class SCUBA destination.

Edited by FlaviaOfTheMonth
read earlier posts more carefully

Yes, scuba was available at Chuuk as well as snorkeling and the submarine.

The people I spoke with that did the diving were happy with it.  Typically only one tank dives and they didn’t do it everywhere but they said they were happy.  In a couple of places ( I think Cook Islands) they set it up with a local shop as it wasn’t offered there from Seabourn, but may have been due to local rules.

@kej1 Thanks for all of your posts and responding to the various questions. it has been extremely interesting reading about your journey and how Seabourn is handling tropical expedition cruising. 

They've just published more of their 2025 South Pacific voyages and they don't look like they are heading to Guam and Micronesia next year. 

Is there any chance you would be able to share some pics either on here or one of the Facebook Seabourn groups?