Verizon Cruise Pass

Hello everyone! My cruise is coming up this Saturday, can’t wait!
Has anyone used the Verizon cruise pass where you pay $30/day for cell service? 
I know how and what the service includes from what it says on their website but I’m curious to know if anyone has used it and if it works well at sea? I don’t want to pay for it and it not work well. 

You'll be using Cellular at Sea which does work well for calls and SMS. I have not used the data portion but my hunch is it's fairly slow compared to the wifi on Carnival ships.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

You'll be using Cellular at Sea which does work well for calls and SMS. I have not used the data portion but my hunch is it's fairly slow compared to the wifi on Carnival ships.

I’m not too concerned about the data part, I really just need to be able to make a couple calls and then text. So this is helpful, thank you! 

• Like 1

I haven't. For the price, you can get ships wifi and call using facetime, messenger, Whatsapp, etc. Your phone may even have wifi calling capabilities. When we're in port we do opt in for travelpass at $10/day, and find that more than sufficient for checking back in. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, carohs said:

I haven't. For the price, you can get ships wifi and call using facetime, messenger, Whatsapp, etc. Your phone may even have wifi calling capabilities. When we're in port we do opt in for travelpass at $10/day, and find that more than sufficient for checking back in. 

This!

1 hour ago, carohs said:

I’ve never been able to call with the ships WiFi. 

Just now, haehaehaley said:

I’ve never been able to call with the ships WiFi. 

Someone posted earlier that Carnival blocks it. But did you try wifi calls with an alternate app?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, carohs said:

Someone posted earlier that Carnival blocks it. But did you try wifi calls with an alternate app?

I haven’t. It just doesn’t make sense because the people I’m calling won’t be using those apps. I was really just trying to find out how well Verizon Cruise Pass works as far as cell service. 

Edited by haehaehaley
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I am not to sure about the $30 a day for cell service. But if you have Verizon you can use/ sign up for Travel Pass. We get 1 pass a month free and its good for 24 hour travelpass session. They stack up to 12 a year. So when ever we travel we have 12 days of passes we can use. If I turn airplane mode off on my phone it will pop up as Cell at Sea and ask if I want to buy it for $10 a day. I would hit yes and then use it for 24 hours. After the 24 hours it will pop up and ask me again, etc, etc. When my bill comes in it will say for example $70 added for Cell at Sea charges then the next line will say -$10 Travel pass assigned for 999-999-9999 listed 7 times. I have never used it to make calls. I use mine as a back up to Carnival internet in case the internet is spotting and going in and out as I have to have the internet to run my Dexcom/Libre device for blood sugars.

Edited by Babyfin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Babyfin said:

I am not to sure about the $30 a day for cell service. But if you have Verizon you can use/ sign up for Travel Pass. We get 1 pass a month free and its good for 24 hour travelpass session. They stack up to 12 a year. So when ever we travel we have 12 days of passes we can use. If I turn airplane mode off on my phone it will pop up as Cell at Sea and ask if I want to buy it for $10 a day. I would hit yes and then use it for 24 hours. After the 24 hours it will pop up and ask me again, etc, etc. When my bill comes in it will say for example $70 added for Cell at Sea charges then the next line will say -$10 Travel pass assigned for 999-999-9999 listed 7 times. I have never used it to make calls. I use mine as a back up to Carnival internet in case the internet is spotting and going in and out as I have to have the internet to run my Dexcom/Libre device for blood sugars.

Hmm, I didn't know Travel Passes were good for Cellular at Sea roaming. I thought they could only be used abroad onshore in countries like Dominican Republic, Bahamas, etc. Good to know.

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

Hmm, I didn't know Travel Passes were good for Cellular at Sea roaming. I thought they could only be used abroad onshore in countries like Dominican Republic, Bahamas, etc. Good to know.

I know I can use them on shore and have a few times but mainly use them on the ship. I am not sure how it works for everyone but we have the plan that gives all of our lines 1 free travel pass a month. Had it a few years. One of the main reasons I will not switch plans. I was reading through the fine print of it and I see where it only shows on land. Wondering if that is because of the plan we have? No clue. Going to do some more digging and see what I can come up with.

• Like 2