Kiel Taxi Availability

We have a stop in Kiel this August and the excursions through MSC are expensive and limited so I was wondering how prevalent taxis are if we wanted to do something on our own instead. I was thinking if it was a nice day heading up to Laboe to go to the beach and visit the naval museum. Would it be easy enough to get a taxi in both the port and Laboe on the way back without pre booking anything? Or is there a better option? Public transit seemed a bit slow and indirect on Google maps.

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 1:40 PM, greg898 said:

Or is there a better option? Public transit seemed a bit slow and indirect on Google maps.

I don't know if my suggestion will be helpful or not, but when we visited Kiel we did quite extensive research on how to spend our day there and Laboe was one of our options.. We didn't go to Laboe in the end, actually went in the opposite direction to the observation deck at the lock there before exploring Kiel itself, but in the course of researching our options, we came across references to a ferry from Kiel city to Laboe and it was a properly timetabled regular ferry, not a "one a day" ferry.

That was pre-pandemic and there have been many changes since then, but some online research into a possible ferry might be worth trying.

Kiel itself is a busy  and quite large working city and although we didn't look for one, there must be taxis to be found.  Try googling?

As for one to return from Laboe, perhaps you could make  enquiries directly with the museum via their website..

You could also arrange for whichever taxi you take there to return for you at a certain time, but that option carries an element of risk for cruise passenhers..

Edited by edinburgher

Here is the summer schedule of the ferries in Kiel. Price is 5€ per Person one way and MSC is always Saturdays there, so you have to watch the right side of the PDF "sonnabends, sonn- und feiertags"  https://www.sfk-kiel.de/resources/persistent/3382a92b068fcadee98de382c956b37bf2c0ab0a/F1_Sommer2024_Folder_DRUCK.pdf

There are also waiting a lot of taxis at the cruise terminal. For the way back from Laboe you could call "0431 680101" for a Taxi and they will come within 15-20 mins.  https://www.taxikiel.de/

• Like 1