North or South one-way on Princess and which cabin is best?

Bogie76

I have narrowed my choice for a cruise for June of 2025 to Sapphire Princess based off of dates and making sure we get Glacier Bay (won out over hitting some other ports of call as part of the itinerary). Due to schedule we are not going to be able to do any land tour options at the beginning or end of the cruise. Since this is a one-way cruise I am looking for thoughts on going north or southbound. I have checked one-way air travel and the cost difference between Anchorage or Vancouver is minimal for me. One consideration I had with northbound is that we would not have to do customs at the connecting airport on the way home.

Second part is looking for thoughts on cabin choice - aft cabins such as C748/753, D740/741 or E732/735 are what I was originally looking at booking as we like aft balconies. In doing some research I found that the side/aft cabins such as B746/747, C742/747, D736/737, or E728/731 come highly recommended/sought aft due to location and balcony size. Curious about the cabins on the side and if wind is a factor while sailing. Also with all of the cabins how much cover they have in case of rain and wanting to be outside.

Lots of details and appreciate comments/suggestions to help make the trip a memorable one - it is a special birthday gift for my wife.

Posted (edited)

I love E731. I try to always get this cabin (covered, extended balcony). Also, Emerald mini suites are covered. dolphin mini suites are not. Never had a wind issue in this cabin. Technically it could happen.

Caribe side balconies are half covered, half open and larger than most side balcony cabins. These are desirable if one doesn't go aft.

I have had several aft cabins but most are suites and I don't keep track which I prefer. I did have an aft balcony cabin on the Sapphire and there was a vent nearby and it smelled horribly outside due to what the vent was for. I forget which cabin that was. There were balcony cabins on either side of the vents and then suites next to the balcony cabins and the suites couldn't smell what I did.

Edited by Coral

Posted (edited)

I looked and I believe it was D741 that had the awful smell - this was probably 10+ years ago. I haven't read anything recently but it was horrible. D740 would be identical. I wouldn't take a chance and book that cabin again. The smell was coming from the vent. 

Edited by Coral

If your cruise is the same as mine, Glacier bay is on both but northbound has College Fjord and different timing in Glacier bay while southbound goes to Hubbard glacier.

I picked southbound since I wanted Hubbard glacier and spend a day around Anchorage which southbound worked better with my work schedule. 

Thanks for the responses. I was wonder about the difference of College Fjord or Hubbard. It looks like the southbound has more time in Glacier Bay and less time in some of the port cities (fine by me).

Coral - on the deck plans it shows E731 Twin beds only/not convertible. Do you know if this is true - or can it converted to a single queen bed?

2 hours ago, Bogie76 said:

Thanks for the responses. I was wonder about the difference of College Fjord or Hubbard. It looks like the southbound has more time in Glacier Bay and less time in some of the port cities (fine by me).

Coral - on the deck plans it shows E731 Twin beds only/not convertible. Do you know if this is true - or can it converted to a single queen bed?

E731 converts to a queen.

D736 and D737 are awkward. I would avoid these. They were supposedly setup as handicapped mini suites but the front door isn't wide enough so they are not accessible cabins. They have an odd bed setup and while they can be made into a queen, it is really odd (and it says it doesn't convert). It is best as twins.

2 hours ago, Bogie76 said:

These floor plans say E731 is fine.

E729 is also good but I like E731 better. E729 is above the band and you can often hear/feel sound from the band.