End of Cruise in Civitavecchia Flight Not Until 4 PM

michelle-nh

Our NCL cruise ends in Civitavecchia, supposedly docking at 6 am. I've been on enough cruises to know to give it some cushion and not to expect debarkation until say, 9 am. But we will still have a day to ourselves as our flight doesn't leave Fiumicino until 3:55 PM. We've never flown from Rome, but I'm thinking we'd be more than safe arriving at the airport by 1:30?? Or maybe a little later???

Of course we will have our luggage, which complicates things. We are spending a few days in Rome pre-cruise, so for this last day, I'm thinking of finding something to do on the way to the airport rather than in Rome itself. 

I am very, very open to suggestions. I am currently looking at two options and trying to figure out the feasibility.

1) Taurine Baths Of Civitavecchia  https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/taurine-baths-civitavecchia 

2) Ostia Antica https://www.ostia-antica.org/

I am leaning toward #2 (Ostia Antica) as that will get us closer to the airport at the start of the day, and ease any anxiety I might have about that. 

I'm thinking we could take a shared shuttle back to the airport and get there approximately no later than 10:30 am (is this realistic?). Stow our luggage somewhere (https://usebounce.com/ ???) or maybe check it early if they'd let us?? Then take a bus or cab to Ostia Antica and have a couple of hours before we have to go back to the airport. 

Does anyone have any advice whether the above is doable? Or have other suggestions? I don't want to stress us out at the end of the trip by rushing around, but an entire day at the airport when we could be out enjoying ourselves sounds equally stressful. 

The first time in we arranged a tour with the ship that gave us a half day tour and dropped us at the airport.     The second time we did a private tour something like what you are planning but when I told the tour company my plans and issues, for a nominal extra charge they were able to take our luggage and organize getting us to the airport.   It was so worth the reaching out to them to ask.

Posted (edited)

You need to be at the airport three hours prior to an international flight (1:55 PM) or two hours prior to a Schengen flight (2:55 PM).

There is a left luggage office at the airport, I'd be a tad skeptical of a service that takes your things away and comes back with them later, but maybe that's me.

From the airport web site:

Luggage storage is located in Terminal 3, International Arrivals close to door n°6.

Opening hours: 7.00 a.m.-11.00 p.m.

Telephone: +39 0665953541

E-mail : depositobagagliadr@adr.it

The price is 10,00€ (VAT included) per luggage 24h. Payment is made upon collection of baggage.
No reservation needed.

link here:  Baggage services - ADR

Ostia Antica is a good idea.  If you do as you've described and use a shuttle to the airport, then a cab from the airport to the ruins, be sure to ask the driver for his card and arrange for him to come back for you at a specific time.  If for some reason he does not, you can ask the staff at the ticket office to call a cab for you, but it would be nice to only have to use that as a backup.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Woody14 said:

The first time in we arranged a tour with the ship that gave us a half day tour and dropped us at the airport.     The second time we did a private tour something like what you are planning but when I told the tour company my plans and issues, for a nominal extra charge they were able to take our luggage and organize getting us to the airport.   It was so worth the reaching out to them to ask.

Do you happen to remember what tour company you used?

6 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

You need to be at the airport three hours prior to an international flight (1:55 PM) or two hours prior to a Schengen flight (2:55 PM).

There is a left luggage office at the airport, I'd be a tad skeptical of a service that takes your things away and comes back with them later, but maybe that's me.

From the airport web site:

Luggage storage is located in Terminal 3, International Arrivals close to door n°6.

Opening hours: 7.00 a.m.-11.00 p.m.

Telephone: +39 0665953541

E-mail : depositobagagliadr@adr.it

The price is 10,00€ (VAT included) per luggage 24h. Payment is made upon collection of baggage.
No reservation needed.

link here:  Baggage services - ADR

Ostia Antica is a good idea.  If you do as you've described and use a shuttle to the airport, then a cab from the airport to the ruins, be sure to ask the driver for his card and arrange for him to come back for you at a specific time.  If for some reason he does not, you can ask the staff at the ticket office to call a cab for you, but it would be nice to only have to use that as a backup.

Thank you! That’s perfect.