Disembarking Rotterdam in Reykjavik

We are sailing Rotterdam to Iceland this summer. We would like to book an independent tour in Reykjavik  but was told it might take 1-2 hours to disembark after the ship arrives at dock (pier - not tender)  and may miss the meetup. This almost seems impossible to take so long to walk off if we are ready and waiting when the ship is cleared. Does anyone have experience with trying to disembark Rotterdam and anticipated time needed. Don’t want to be overly cautious and miss out. Thanks in advance

Who told you 1-2 hours?  We didn’t experience that. We did have friends skip that stop last year due to bad weather. They received a credit from the tour operator but no refund. 

• Like 1

Colin, customer Service from the independent tour operator. I was kind of thinking she was way off base. I understand the ship being late or not being able to make the port. we have insurance for that. But just one to two hours to walk off the ship on a regular basis seemed extreme.

can you tell me how long it took you to walk off? Did you have to go through immigration in the cruise terminal? Thanks for the information.

Agree. It won't be 2 hours...it is highly unlikely to even be one hour. 

Is this a private tour for your party only? If so, you own that tour...they will wait. If you are joining a group on people, including non-cruise pax, then the time deadline is more important.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dyoung1 said:

Colin, customer Service from the independent tour operator. I was kind of thinking she was way off base. I understand the ship being late or not being able to make the port. we have insurance for that. But just one to two hours to walk off the ship on a regular basis seemed extreme.

can you tell me how long it took you to walk off? Did you have to go through immigration in the cruise terminal? Thanks for the information.

If memory serves 30 minutes or so. No immigration was required. We had an independent tour and didn’t have any issue. 

10 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Agree. It won't be 2 hours...it is highly unlikely to even be one hour. 

Is this a private tour for your party only? If so, you own that tour...they will wait. If you are joining a group on people, including non-cruise pax, then the time deadline is more important.

Not private. It is an independent tour for up to 10 people that meets at the port tourist bus stop. Google maps says that is two minute walk from the terminal. I’m hoping that’s correct.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, CruiseSter1ing said:

Sort of topic question.  🤔  But where does ship dock?  We have tour starting at Harpa Center in downtown. 

I found it.  Nevermind.   https://www.faxafloahafnir.is/hafnaradstada/harbor/sundahofn-skarfabakki/

easy walk for us.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/7CfeXr7QYvzHHffA6

Edited by CruiseSter1ing