an oldy but a goody- Livorno to Florence

dancedemon

Hi.  I read enough posts to get myself thoroughly confused with transportation options.  Will be sailing NCL breakaway in October 2025.  I've been to Pisa and Lucca, so those destinations don't appeal to me particularly.  I read the google reviews of NCL Breakaway with regard to chaotic, 3 hour waits at various ports to get to your destination.  It was enough to make me consider cancelling the trip!  Waiting like that will drive my husband insane.  Ideally, we would see the Duomo and a couple of other sights in Florence.  I would like to combine that with a bike tour that goes as far as Arceti, so that we might see some interesting birds.  Any birdwatcher out there have comments?

https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/250888?location=Florence%2C Italy&currentTab=experience_tab&federatedSearchId=5dc5b9cb-14ec-4a25-9835-d0fb95cd1710&searchId=57a62cee-c8b2-453a-a651-9168cd8dec8a&sectionId=de6470fc-cb07-4639-b193-661edecb0c85  

The cheapest transportation I can find that doesn't involve port shuttle to Livorno city center, city bus to train, train to Florence is this:

https://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/tour/florence-hop-on-hop-off-from-livorno/eulvflohoponoff

This option is cheaper, but you stay with a group the whole time:

https://www.shore-experience.com/transfer-to-florence-from-the-port-of-livorno/

Both of the shore excursions options require you to take the port shuttle into Livorno to meet up with them, then you might wait even longer for passengers from other ships.

This is how they word it on the link you provided:

An approximate 10 to 15-minute shuttle ride (not included, approximately 5 EUR per person) is required to reach the departure location. Full details will be provided in your electronic ticket upon confirmation.

If you want to depart right from the ship, the only options I'm aware of are a ship's excursion, a private car service, or renting a car from one of the agencies that bring them to the port (do they still do that?  It's been a few years for me.)

The car service would be the most expensive, but also the fastest and easiest option.  You could post on the roll call thread for your sailing to see if you can find others to share the car (or minivan) with you, to reduce the cost per person.

On our Med cruise in July there were taxis right outside the terminal. We arranged with a driver on a round trip price to Pisa and a location and time to pick us back up. He offered to take us other places but we knew this would be enough. You could probably do that for Florence.

Thanks to all of you for these replies!  BTW, I am clueless with computers.  Does anyone know where it set it up so I get an email when someone responds to a post that I wrote?  Thanks!

33 minutes ago, dancedemon said:

Thanks to all of you for these replies!  BTW, I am clueless with computers.  Does anyone know where it set it up so I get an email when someone responds to a post that I wrote?  Thanks!

Up top is a “follow” button.  I haven’t found it on my phone but it shows on my iPad