How many Euros/Turkish Lira do you really need

EliseL

Hi All.  Wanted to see if anyone can offer advise on how much cash they actually needed on a cruise to the Greek Islands and Turkey.  I'll use a credit card when possible but know I'll need some cash but don't want to have much left over because you lose converting it and converting it back.  We're in Athens for 3 days before the 9 day cruise and in Turkey 3 of the days.

Thanks!

If you look around, you will find this sort of question asked frequently, just substitute the countries a little.

The general answer is we don't know your spending style, and what you will be buying. But I can say we spent 2 weeks on a land tour in Europe (Amsterdam, and various stops in France), and we spent less than 80 euros in cash. We ate out twice a day, stayed in hotels, took buses, trains and a couple taxis.

In other words, you need very little cash. Certainly no more than 100 euros.

• Like 2

As Bruce's post, plastic is widely-used in Europe even for the smallest transaction. 

But do carry some reserves of local shrapnel for the occasional market or street-purchase, or for un-manned outlets where sometimes machines often don't accept cash, or even a public toilet.

Yes, €100 seems like a good starting point, perhaps just $50 in  Turkish lire.

You can always use an ATM to top-up, but beware the rip-offs.

This website is for Brits, hence the examples in GBP but the same applies you

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/7-ways-to-avoid-being-ripped-off-at-the-cash-machine-on-holiday-aYL9I3s6e0Z0

If your ship's next cruise is a similar itinerary, you can use up your euros & lire by giving them to crew who have gone the extra mile - or pig-out on Baklava 😋 

JB 🙂

• Like 1