Ocean Cay Restaurant - recommend?

tofubeast

Hello. We’re going on the Seascape next month.  We’ve done all the specialty restaurants so far with the exception of Ocean Cay. 

As fans of fish/seafood, will we be pleased with the food? The menu looks good to me. What apps and dishes do you recommend to try or stay away from?

Thanks so much!

On 5/7/2024 at 9:17 PM, tofubeast said:

Hello. We’re going on the Seascape next month.  We’ve done all the specialty restaurants so far with the exception of Ocean Cay. 

As fans of fish/seafood, will we be pleased with the food? The menu looks good to me. What apps and dishes do you recommend to try or stay away from?

Thanks so much!

Hate to tell you this, but we were horrified at how bad this restaurant was on Seascape a year ago. We choose it as our free speciality meal as Diamond cruisers. We ended up ordering a meal for two that came with a hefty uncharge, and it was terrible. Dried out fish. The tuna appetizer was the only decent part of the meal. Would never go there again! (The place was empty--that should have been our clue to change our plans).

I'm a fan, and would recommend you try it at least once.   It is very Mediterranean seafood focused, and certainly not to everyone's taste.  The food reminds me of Sicily.

For starter:  I could eat the red prawn carpaccio all day - amazing and unique taste.  Otherwise you cannot go wrong with the tuna tartare, though it is hardly unique.

For main:  The bottarga is another unique and interesting dish, with a very fishy taste.  Otherwise the tuna or wild clams are again more mainstream and look and taste very good.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Have to agree with @EMc&DrS on Ocean Cay.  We dined there with our Diamond meal and we were quite literally the only ones in the venue...at 7:30 PM!  A table of 4 showed up around 8:15 and that was it for the night....so no vibe or synergy in the place at all.  This was on Seaside. I've had better seafood and larger portions (dinner sized) at my local Bonefish.  I would not recommend this place at all.  I think you get way more value and flavor from Butcher's Cut.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Thanks 1

We just got off the MSC Seashore on Sunday and had chosen Ocean Cay Restaurant as our complimentary Diamond meal. Most would probably choose "Butcher's Cut but we had been in YC where a filet is offered every night. Like @8420PR mentioned, it is very Mediterranean focused. The Crab Cake appetizer was full of lump crab meat (we lived in Maryland for nine years so know crab cakes) and was really excellent. For our Mains, DW had the Black Cod and I had the Wild Clams with pasta.  Portion sizes were sufficient. For dessert DW had the Tiramasu and I had the Creme Bruee. We would definitely eat here again.

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2024 at 4:27 PM, 8420PR said:

I'm a fan, and would recommend you try it at least once.   It is very Mediterranean seafood focused, and certainly not to everyone's taste.  The food reminds me of Sicily.

For starter:  I could eat the red prawn carpaccio all day - amazing and unique taste.  Otherwise you cannot go wrong with the tuna tartare, though it is hardly unique.

For main:  The bottarga is another unique and interesting dish, with a very fishy taste.  Otherwise the tuna or wild clams are again more mainstream and look and taste very good.

As my heritage is half Sicilian, and I spent a summer there many moons ago, I’m thinking I might be happy with OC. I’ll give it a try!