Changing a cruise.

I booked a Caribbean cruise for Easter 2025 ( I'm from the UK), but I've decided that I want to swap it for a Mediterranean one roughly the same time. My questions are, will I lose the Cruise Next credit of around £400 that I had applied, and if not will I have to cancel the first booking and wait til the credit shows on my ncl account? the cruise prices are about the same price, I just can't face an overnight long haul flight. Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

Swapping to a different cruise is classed as a cancellation, so yes you would lose your deposit.

Give them a call to confirm what your options are. Depending on what the actual deposit should have been it may be better to pay the deposit amount and get your cruise next refunded, if they are worth more than the deposit amount.

Edit: also look into whether there may be any legal protections that can help if you have only just booked. I’ve never used any of these so don’t know the rules, but believe that companies have to allow you to cancel online orders if done soon after booking (but I could be talking nonsense).

Edited by KeithJenner

Posted (edited)

I don’t book under the UK rules but the EU rules. For me it would be simple as the cruise is still so far away (so it is not past final payment date). I’d just call my PCC (or I could just call the normal reservations line) and ask for my cruise to be changed to another one. The only thing that I’d have to pay is 50€/pp for a change fee and that is waived if the new cruise is even 1€ more expensive than the old one was. Also the cruise next voucher would be automatically transferred to the new reservation. If I’d cancel my cruise I would lose my deposit but because I am changing the cruise to a new one they use the deposit towards the new reservation although they technically cancel the old reservation and book another one. This is clearly listed in their term of conditions which specify what happens when you want to change your cruise (you don’t lose your deposit).

I do understand that you book most likely with UK rules op but I have a hard time imagining you’d lose the cruise next voucher completely as you are not past final payment date and you are changing to a new cruise. If you’d just cancel your cruise and wouldn’t book anything new at the same time then you’d most likely lose the deposit as UK and EU rules tend not to be as lenient as the US rules. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

I do NOT know the rules in your country.  In the United States, since the cruise is over 120 days away, when you cancel the cruise next credits will be put back in your account and any payment you made will be refunded.  Once the cruise credit is back in your account, then you can book the next cruise and apply the credits.

29 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

I do NOT know the rules in your country.  In the United States, since the cruise is over 120 days away, when you cancel the cruise next credits will be put back in your account and any payment you made will be refunded.  Once the cruise credit is back in your account, then you can book the next cruise and apply the credits.

Yeah, US rules do not apply.