*LIVE* from the Norwegian Joy – 7-Night Bermuda – May 12-19, 2024

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

First stop is document checks. Today, they were using facial recognition at document check based on… check-in photo??? CBP digital photo???  

Those who fail the facial recognition are sent to a [long] line for manual processing. If you pass your facial recognition, you proceed on to X-ray and metal detection. 

IMG_2857.thumb.jpeg.765dfdc480ec8dfa2bbeda063fa753ca.jpeg

IMG_2841.jpeg

FR for initial security is definitely new and interesting. 

Guess those who weren't able to upload pics will be in a line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What entertainment is on the ship this week. For future cruisers, The Bird notes that this week’s schedule is different than last week’s schedule which was different from the week before. 

IMG_3123.jpeg

IMG_3121.jpeg

Glad new aerialists have joined. 😁

• Like 1

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. We will be boarding on the 19th!  When leaving the harbor which side is Statue of Liberty?  And where did you take these fabulous photos!  Hope we get a sunny send off! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JillyBean77 said:

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. We will be boarding on the 19th!  When leaving the harbor which side is Statue of Liberty?  And where did you take these fabulous photos!  Hope we get a sunny send off! 

SOL is on the starboard side. Manhattan on the port side.

With rain gone and the sun out, The Birds watched sailaway from Deck 17. With the ship moving, the windchill was probably in the low 40’s which kept a lot of people inside. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It must be 5 o’clock somewhere. 

Standard bar menu. 

IMG_3137.jpeg

IMG_3138.jpeg

IMG_3139.jpeg

IMG_3140.jpeg

IMG_3141.jpeg

IMG_3142.jpeg

IMG_3135.jpeg

Hmmmm,  Amarula n Maloneys/"Baloney" gone and Bailey's down to  $12. 😁🥰😋

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Once you pass security screening, it is time to find your check in area and line. Deck 5-11 used the check in at the front of the terminal. Haven and Decks 12-15 used the back checkin area. 

IMG_2845.jpeg

IMG_2843.jpeg

IMG_2844.jpeg

IMG_2846.jpeg

Had to double look as this check in; just confirming the special assistance area is still front left in terminal?

Thanks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wvshimmy said:

Had to double look as this check in; just confirming the special assistance area is still front left in terminal?

Thanks!

Still at the front of the terminal. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Still at the front of the terminal. 

Thanks 

It had always been front left forever,  then randomly switched to front right which had no space and seats were filled with disembarking pax waiting on transportation. 

They moved it front left after. 

Never know 🙃

One World Trade Center. A symbol of the resilience of the country. At 1792 feet, it is the tallest building in New York, tallest biking in the IS, and tallest building in the Northern Hemisphere. 

IMG_3238.jpeg

IMG_3230.jpeg

IMG_3231.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

The 9/11 Memorial honors the 2977 people who lost their lives on the 2091 and 1993 terrorist attacks on the nation. The two reflecting pools mark the site of the North and South Towers and have the names of the victims inscribed. The twin waterfalls are the largest manmade waterfalls in North America. 

IMG_3249.jpeg

IMG_3250.jpeg

IMG_3251.jpeg

IMG_3252.jpeg

IMG_3254.jpeg

IMG_3253.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 8

Happy Mother’s Day! Thank you so much, I’m following your wonderful report with interest and anticipation of boarding the Joy in 4 weeks!
The entertainment schedules are really helpful, where are these posted onboard? 

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What entertainment is on the ship this week. For future cruisers, The Bird notes that this week’s schedule is different than last week’s schedule which was different from the week before. 

IMG_3123.jpeg

IMG_3121.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The Diamond and Platinum waiting area board through “side doors” before they open the ropes for general boarding. 

that's something new! as recently as a few months ago, they opened the ropes when they called sapphire, diamond and ambassadors, marched the people through the crowd and down the center aisle.

(actually, the last time i was there, the guy told the waiting sapphires, diamonds and ambassadors to be patient and that they would board immediately after the platinums. he was very quickly edumicated by his colleague.)

thanks for your trip report.

like so many in the CC NCL forum, i'm headed to the joy myself. i board on a B2B in two weeks time. i think it's one of the best ships in the fleet.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, UKstages said:

that's something new! as recently as a few months ago, they opened the ropes when they called sapphire, diamond and ambassadors, marched the people through the crowd and down the center aisle.

(actually, the last time i was there, the guy told the waiting sapphires, diamonds and ambassadors to be patient and that they would board immediately after the platinums. he was very quickly edumicated by his colleague.)

thanks for your trip report.

like so many in the CC NCL forum, i'm headed to the joy myself. i board on a B2B in two weeks time. i think it's one of the best ships in the fleet.

I boarded in late February for our b2bs and they didn't have separate areas that I recall. 

The CAS line banner seems hit or miss, too.

Late last year and prior no deck lines either,  but had that in February. 

I've noticed differences in the weekday vs weekend boardings too.

Frequently different terminal staff. 

NYC is my primary embarkation port.

Never know what might happen. 🙃

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wvshimmy said:

I boarded in late February for our b2bs and they didn't have separate areas that I recall. The CAS line banner seems hit or miss, too.

my last trip through MCT was in late january and they had the two roped-off areas, just as the bird described... platinum on one side and another area for sapphire, diamond and ambassadors. but there was no direct entrance through a side door. that must be a recent innovation.

i qualify for the CAS line and the sapphire line.  but when not traveling in the haven, i'd go to the sapphire line/waiting area every time. sapphire boarding trumps CAS. last time i checked in at MCT in the CAS line, they gave me a boarding number! CAS has no separate waiting area, but there is a separate checkin for CAS at MCT. 

MCT has always been a bit of a zoo with very poorly trained contract workers. things have improved somewhat in the past year or so, but it can still be a chaotic experience. i have noticed with the new later scheduled departure time of 6 PM, that they are saying that boarding begins at noon, not 11 AM, as in the past.

36 minutes ago, UKstages said:

my last trip through MCT was in late january and they had the two roped-off areas, just as the bird described... platinum on one side and another area for sapphire, diamond and ambassadors. but there was no direct entrance through a side door. that must be a recent innovation.

i qualify for the CAS line and the sapphire line.  but when not traveling in the haven, i'd go to the sapphire line/waiting area every time. sapphire boarding trumps CAS. last time i checked in at MCT in the CAS line, they gave me a boarding number! CAS has no separate waiting area, but there is a separate checkin for CAS at MCT. 

MCT has always been a bit of a zoo with very poorly trained contract workers. things have improved somewhat in the past year or so, but it can still be a chaotic experience. i have noticed with the new later scheduled departure time of 6 PM, that they are saying that boarding begins at noon, not 11 AM, as in the past.

I didn't even notice the 6 pm departure time for a long time after booking. 🙃

Maybe some of the long time terminal workers have retired. 

I've not seen the older gentleman recently. 

Lots of new faces since restart and few seem to know about special assistance, but the terminal also moved the area. 

Gave us a very high boarding number once when family member had a scooter.

Seem to recall different contract after restart. 

We just smile.

We don't use the CAS Line either, lats line works fine and always "interesting " listening to fellow pax  declaring their status. 

People watching is always a good way to start the cruise. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Wvshimmy said:

I didn't even notice the 6 pm departure time for a long time after booking. 🙃

We had a 6 pm departure today. By 5:30, the captain had dropped all lines and at 6:00 we were already heading down the Hudson. 

Haven boarding started at 11:00 today. Followed by special assistance passengers. Ambassador/Diamond/ Sapphire stated at 11:10. That’s when The Birds boarded so I don’t know the timing of the rest. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

More cuts…. Literally. 

Rather than servicing chocolate covered strawberries as a treat… they cut the strawberries in half, then dipped them. They have zero shelf life now. 

IMG_3286.thumb.jpeg.8142b4dc4d449fe799a8560d9d93ea07.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

More cuts…. Literally. 

Rather than servicing chocolate covered strawberries as a treat… they cut the strawberries in half, then dipped them. They have zero shelf life now. 

IMG_3286.thumb.jpeg.8142b4dc4d449fe799a8560d9d93ea07.jpeg

2 whole ones would have been better. 

Crew friend from Getaway posted market pic from Belgium the other day,  including strawberries. 

Inside joke because Getaway didn't have any raspberries for chocolate marquis,  but lots of strawberries. 

I just lol and said,  more strawberries,  again. 

She said still no raspberries,  running low on strawberries onboard. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weisla said:

The entertainment schedules are really helpful, where are these posted onboard? 

On embarkation day, pick up your show summary at The Social (which is the embarkation day box office). 

• Like 1