Hong Kong to Singapore Cruise

Going on this cruise in March 2025. The cruise has 3 stops in Vietnam, I am wondering if you can buy Vietnamese money on the ship? Hopefully someone has experience with this from a previous cruise. Thank you in advance.

1 minute ago, sabrefan said:

Going on this cruise in March 2025. The cruise has 3 stops in Vietnam, I am wondering if you can buy Vietnamese money on the ship? Hopefully someone has experience with this from a previous cruise. Thank you in advance.

Any of my celebrity cruises, they always had local currency at guest relations.

34 minutes ago, sabrefan said:

I just did Singapore to HK back to Singapore and did not have a need for local currency. Charge cards and USD was accepted. In Thailand there are many low commission exchange places - they need your passport to exchange US currency - and the local currency was necessary. The exchange rate on the ship is not favorable.

I also rarely get local currencies and can advise that the exchange rate on the ship is really not good.   You would do much better just exchanging it at a local currency dealer.   

As above in the cashless world of today I usually just use ApplePay and tip in U.S. Dollars.   I've noticed that the majority of the tips given were in USD, UK Pounds or A$.     They are grateful for any tips as tipping in many Asian countries is not the norm.

We did this cruise nine years ago with the three stops in Vietnam.  We did cruise shore excursions but tipping was in US dollars.  Street vendors seemed happy to accept US currency for small trinkets.  The shore excursions people warned us in Da Nang the pedal bike drivers try to push for a higher tip but we were told what constituted a fair and reasonable tip.  There is a Baskin-Robins 31 ice cream in Da Nang.

When we went, we were issued a visa/tourist card on board which was inspected at each stop.  Our passports were held on ship.  ipad529edited.thumb.jpg.fce30129c84d4e3df93d407eb245bb18.jpg

We just did this cruise on Silversea.  Went to 3 Vietnam ports.  😀  Restaurants that cater to tourists (mean this in a good way) take credit.  Most street vendors are happy to take dollars. Just bring lots of small bills so you can pay the exact amount or ask for change in USD. 

There are some places where you may want local currency.  We found exchange places and ATMs near most major attractions. Just ask your guide.  I got WAY too much local money ($200) and was scrambling to use it before we left the country!