Port of Salerno - Path of the Gods hike?

sushraya

We will be in Salerno later this fall.  Some folks in the group want to go to Pompeii, some have been to Pompeii and would like to hike the Path of the Gods instead,

It is a feasible option to consider dropping the folks off to hike, then the rest continuing onto Pompeii?  Meet in the afternoon in Positano?  I'd have to get a private driver/car for this - any recommendations?

Posted (edited)

It would be faster and a lot less expensive for the group going to Pompei to simply take the train there, while the group wanting to hike could use the ferry + bus combination ticket offered by Travelmar:  Visit Path of Gods - Travelmar, fast ferries to Path of Gods

Trying to do this with a car service will take much longer, because the folks going on to Pompei will have to drive over the mountain pass.  Travel along the Amalfi Coast is so slow that the Pompei group would be in the ruins well before the hiking group even gets to the start of the path in Bomerano.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

@euro cruiser - that is interesting.  I didn't know there was shuttle bus to the Path of the Gods.  Do you know if this runs all the time?  We will be there in early October.

The only problem seems to be the return from Positano to the ship.   The 3.30pm ferry cuts it too close to the 5pm departure time for the ship.  We'd have to take the 1.30pm ferry instead.

There are two Salerno stops listed on that site - how do I find out which one will be the closest to the ship?

The ship docks at Molo Manfredi in Salerno, so that's the one that is closer.  Unfortunately, there are very few ferries to the Molo Manfredi dock.  Fortunately, the Concordia dock is only a mile and a half up the coast, it's a lovely walk along a waterfront promenade.

You are correct about the return ferries.

Would you consider backtracking on the Path of the Gods and returning to Bomerano, rather than continuing on to Positano? That would allow you to take a bus back to Amalfi and the ferry back from there.

Are you able to make the 8:40 morning departure from Concordia?  If so, and if you hike at about the average pace, you would be in Nocelle around 1 PM, so it's questionable if you could even make the 1:30 ferry.

With the walk, the ferry/bus and then having to take an early afternoon ferry to get back to the ship in time, this is not looking very promising for a day excursion.   I'd be too stressed about us making it back in time.

Might have to look at alternatives.   I did see that we go to Paestum instead of Pompeii.  Maybe if I found a good mozzarella tasting farm/lunch near there, I could convince the whole group to do this instead.

That is one of the places that popped up when I did a search.  Another was Barlotti?   It looks like both are relatively close to the Paestum train station and we could maybe look at the ruins and then get lunch before getting back to the ship.  Direct train to Paestum.

How far is the train station in Salerno?  And when we get to Paestum, do you know if taxis will be easily available to get to the ruins and/or lunch?

I've only been to Vannulo so can't compare it to others.

The train station in Salerno is near the Concordia dock, about a mile and a half on foot from the cruise port.  Again, you can walk along the waterfront promenade to Concordia, then turn left and it's right in front of you, about two blocks.

I have limited experience with the Paestum train station, the two times I was there I did not see a taxi.  It's a very small, provincial station.  On the upside, it's only six-tenths of a mile from the train station to the archeology museum at Paestum, which is right in the middle of the ruins.  A few steps further on there are restaurants and shops and I have seen taxis there.  If you don't see one, someone at the museum or the shops will be happy to call one for you.

Vanullo isn't far, but too far to walk (about two and a quarter miles).

Thanks so much for all then information @euro cruiser.  Very much appreciated.

Vannulo can't do lunch for us the day we are there - maybe because it is a Sunday?   We'll have to find an alternative.  Back to the drawing board...

Posted (edited)

Sundays do make things more difficult, unfortunately.

You could visit Vannulo in the morning and have lunch elsewhere, I suppose.  We ate at a place near the ruins, I'll have to check my files to see if I have the name of it.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks again.   I'll have to check with my friends to see if they are willing to forego Pompeii for Paestum and lunch.

Do you have a recommendation for a lunch place (perhaps with a view) in Amalfi?