MSC CC charges

dbrown84

It's simple enough to call your card company (or look on their site for your particular card) and ask if they have a foreign transaction fee. 

And while you're at it, find out if they offer 1%, 2% or even more in "rewards" for travel charges. We use our A**z*n Pr*me credit card and get 1% to use on their website. Used to have a card that gave 2% cashback at end of year on travel but they don't offer it anymore.

On 5/20/2024 at 7:10 PM, BirdTravels said:

Foreign Transaction Fees are totally dependent upon your bank and has nothing to do with the ship. 

Of course it could. There have been posts in the past that complained onboard charges for a closed-loop cruise out of a U.S. port was somehow posted to a bank in France, etc. in a foreign currency. Those people were astonished as nothing of that cruise involved France and didn't think about using a no foreign fee card. I don't believe this problem is common, however.

In other news, letting your credit card company know of your travels was a necessity in the past. While it may still be needed for smaller institutions, the data analytics for credit card fraud have developed to the point that this is unnecessary. Just saying in case you call your institution and they don't seem to know why you are letting them know.

10 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Of course it could. There have been posts in the past that complained onboard charges for a closed-loop cruise out of a U.S. port was somehow posted to a bank in France, etc. in a foreign currency. Those people were astonished as nothing of that cruise involved France and didn't think about using a no foreign fee card. I don't believe this problem is common, however.

In other news, letting your credit card company know of your travels was a necessity in the past. While it may still be needed for smaller institutions, the data analytics for credit card fraud have developed to the point that this is unnecessary. Just saying in case you call your institution and they don't seem to know why you are letting them know.

well, I don't know if you consider Navy federal small, but PNC definitely isn't and they both ask for travel notifications.  No need to call, it's done online

11 hours ago, publicpersona said:

I think people forget they are

- travelling with an entreprise with headquarter in Switzerland

- travelling with an entreprise based in Italy

- travelling in a Maltese flag ship

despite where they are embarking or disembarking

On 5/20/2024 at 8:45 PM, dbrown84 said:

but now that I think about it, this was before chip credit cards.  I probably don't need to do travel alerts anymore with chip cards.  I probably just do it now out of habit 

it's impossible to do travel alerts on many CCs i have. they say you dont need to