Taking Link Light rail train from SeaTac

It appears to be fairly cheap and easy to take the Line 1 train from SeaTac to downtown (where our hotel is). Looking for any experiences that would confirm or refute that. I assume we can just get tickets when we land at SeaTac?

We won't be getting in until ~10:00pm, so it will be a later train ride. I'm not really uncomfortable with that, but my wife doesn't love it...

Yes, it is very easy - once you get your luggage, follow the signs for the Light Rail. It will take you through the airport parking garage (about 1/3 of a mile) and to the train station. It's $3 each direction, per person.

In terms of safety - what is your comfort level on public transit? If you're used to city life and the good and bad with it, you'll be fine. In the summer, 10pm it has just turned dark, and there's a lot of airport traffic going in and out at that time with red-eyes to the East Coast being very popular. 

Seattle has really beefed up their transit authority team in the past couple of months, and with the summer coming, I'm sure that will only increase. If there's a Mariners game or a concert that night, expect full trains of revelers as well.

As a female traveling alone, I might opt for an uber at that hour, but if you're all together, I wouldn't imagine any issues. I regularly take the light rail alone with no issues.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jcathers1 said:

It appears to be fairly cheap and easy to take the Line 1 train from SeaTac to downtown (where our hotel is). Looking for any experiences that would confirm or refute that. I assume we can just get tickets when we land at SeaTac?

We won't be getting in until ~10:00pm, so it will be a later train ride. I'm not really uncomfortable with that, but my wife doesn't love it...

airport side you'll be fine. downtown side, depends how far you'll be going probably. i did go in the daylight. had no issues. felt fine. you can get tickets when you land at seatac at the station there. it is a bit of a walk. there may be shuttles, but not sure at that hour. they did check tickets when i was onboard, but on my way back to seatac. 

• Like 1

Consider the hour that you are arriving (10 PM), and that it might be after a long flight, so I would re-think light rail and suggest an Uber/Lyft.  Also figure that it will be about a 30 minute ride from SeaTac to DT Seattle.

Another factor is which downtown hotel you are going to, and how much of a walk that would be from the light rail station.

• Like 2