Skagway Excursions

leftylisa24

Thank you Wolfie. I prefer mornings too but I suppose that I have no reason to persuade others in our group to start their day earlier if the experience would be the same. I'll be ok with that.

On 5/24/2024 at 2:51 PM, talpostal said:

We were going to do the excursion where you get off the train and bike back to Skagway, but need to cancel because someone in our group won't be able to do it. I see that you can do the shorter ~3hr train ride round trip or longer ~8hr excursions that go into the Yukon for stops. 

Is it better to do the long excursion? It seems like there isn't as much to do and see in town in Skagway as there would be in Ketchikan and Juneau.

We ended up booking the 3hr train round trip for the morning. I did some reading and it looks like plenty of hiking options are accessible from the port in Skagway. Looking forward to it!

18 hours ago, greeneme said:

We're planning the 8 hr Chilkoot Bennett Scenic Journey in August and considering the bus first.

How would that choice be as compared to the train first? Does it even matter much?

What's more important is the side of the train - you want to be on the left going north and the right going south. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 12:31 PM, greeneme said:

We're planning the 8 hr Chilkoot Bennett Scenic Journey in August and considering the bus first.

How would that choice be as compared to the train first? Does it even matter much?

I chose this option for our cruise in 2 weeks.    My thought process was that the odds of seeing animals is better earlier than later.  So with a bus on the way up, if we saw something, they could stop.  Not able to stop the train.   

Plus the Train leaves around 7:30.  Let me wake up and get some food before rushing off the ship.

Not sure if my logic is sound, but that is why I did bus first.

• Like 1

Hello! I am jumping off this thread instead of making a new one to avoid repetition since it's similar.

I'm going on my very first cruise ever Sept 1. I've been doing research and see that Chilkoot is the way to go but still unsure which of their tours is best one. We land 7am - 9pm. My concern of the Bennett tour is that it's 8hrs and leaves little time for anything else in the area. We are a married couple in our late 30's who like nature, are active, and excited for Alaska 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Want to thank you all for the informative information regarding different options available.   

When I first started researching, I automatically discounted the train/bus options, but now I am convinced it is the way to go for our group next June.   I think we will also use Chilkoot Tours and book as soon as their 2025 schedule comes out.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Want to thank you all for the informative information regarding different options available.   

When I first started researching, I automatically discounted the train/bus options, but now I am convinced it is the way to go for our group next June.   I think we will also use Chilkoot Tours and book as soon as their 2025 schedule comes out.

For a first trip - I think it is excellent to do the combo. Chilkoot also does an amazing job. You can choose later if you want to drive or redo the train, etc.... This last time, I just did the van ride.