First time Alaska cruiser, could I please get some clarification on something?

biksgirl

Hello, my family and I will be on the August 21-28 Inside passage cruise on Holland America.

I just wanted to get some idea of what this means:

Aug 23, 2024

Tracy Arm Inlet
SERVICE CALL,ACCESS TO SHORE LIMITED TO SHORE EX
ARRIVES 10:00 AM
DEPARTS 10:30 AM
LEARN MORE
Aug 23, 2024

Juneau, Alaska, US

ARRIVES 01:30 PM
DEPARTS 10:00 PM

It shows there is an excursion I can take cruising Tracy Arm Inlet. If we do that, does that mean then we will have no time in Juneau? 

If we don't do that excursion, will we not see anything in Tracy Arm? I'm just confused at what this part of the itinerary means. 

TIA

Posted (edited)

You will only see Tracy Arm if you do the excursion. The excursion is pretty cool and unfortunately, expensive. It usually fills up early. I highly recommend it. Basically at 10:00, people on the tour will board a tour boat. After that, your ship goes on to Juneau where it will dock. Those who do not go on the shore excursion do not see Tracy Arm and the glacier.

I do not know what time you will make it back to Juneau. Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Thank you for the explanation. So that means we need to make a decision, and pretty soon.

Is the Tracy Arm excursion okay for younger kids, say 8 years old?

The excursion lasts 6 hours so you will be back in Juneau by 4:30 PM.  That gives you lots of time to visit Juneau, maybe Mt Roberts Tram or evening whale watching. 

The Tracy Arm excursion is one of my favorites with sea lions, whales, glaciers, and huge chunks of ice.

image.jpeg.ea665e7ed2872284ff08959df1094f95.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, biksgirl said:

Thank you for the explanation. So that means we need to make a decision, and pretty soon.

If the cruise line allows for it - I would definitely take an 8 year old. This is through a different vendor on the way to Tracy Arm:

image.thumb.jpeg.6a8453921d2b52cdc66536db38328660.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.96f53cf571eff0b91ab378ec267c68f9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3cb95450ed98ac265841da884f3bf6a0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2673b43d7dea5d0ab4980317c56a4ef3.jpeg

100_2421_1.JPG

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, biksgirl said:

Given a pair of cheap binoculars and told to look for ice and whales, an 8-year old will be happy.

FWIW my excursion also got a nice box lunch while aboard.

image.jpeg.5447ceeef17dde80496d437dcb2862bd.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Given a pair of cheap binoculars and told to look for ice and whales, an 8-year old will be happy.

My best whale watching experience was coming back to Juneau on a trip to Tracy Arm. I have often seen whales and bears on this trip.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2024 at 12:58 PM, Crew News said:

We will be taking the Tracy Arm excursion off of the Zaandam next month. Very excited, as this was on our must-do list for Alaska!
FYI, I started a thread on the timing of the Tracy Arm excursion and someone posted that HAL did not provide a boxed lunch on her excursion off of the Koningsdam earlier this month. Lunch was available for purchase on board. Hopefully, this link below will take you to my thread:

• Like 1