Couple of Questions -

1stTimeRoyal

Posted (edited)

Sailing on the Meraviglia soon, first time with MSC.  Can’t wait.

1) So my Dad wasn’t a solo room, we put one of our kids in that room for the booking.  We have a family balcony (King and bunkbeds).   When I get on the ship, can I get my son a key for our room, so that he can sleep with us?  Would guest services allow that, or are we just gonna have to let him in?

2) I assume we don’t have to worry or have any documentation for my son being in his grandfathers room, because we will also be on the cruise, in the check in line with him - correct?

3) We booked the Houdini show in advance, how early do you need to be booking the regular production shows once you get on?  Do they sell out?  I think you can do that with the app only on board, right?

4) If we were gonna do one specialty dining restaurant (other than maybe the Mexican for lunch) which one is the best for a special dinner?

Thanks!!

Edited by 1stTimeRoyal

MSC does not give out extra keys for cabins.  What you will need to do is get the bracelets and give one of them to the child who needs access.  Where is he going to sleep in your room?  Will he be the 5th in the cabin?  Or was he just booked with grandpa to save the solo supplement?  EM

Yea, we did it to save the solo rate.  We will have an open bunk bed in the family balcony.  Theres a empty bed waiting for him.

i mean, worst comes to worst we will just let him in I guess.

42 minutes ago, 1stTimeRoyal said:

Sailing on the Meraviglia soon, first time with MSC.  Can’t wait.

1) So my Dad wasn’t a solo room, we put one of our kids in that room for the booking.  We have a family balcony (King and bunkbeds).   When I get on the ship, can I get my son a key for our room, so that he can sleep with us?  Would guest services allow that, or are we just gonna have to let him in?

Don't know, sorry.

2) I assume we don’t have to worry or have any documentation for my son being in his grandfathers room, because we will also be on the cruise, in the check in line with him - correct?

You might want to check MSC's site for travel documentation for a child. It varies based on their age. Since you are traveling with him, you don't need to sign any special forms, even if he's in another room.

3) We booked the Houdini show in advance, how early do you need to be booking the regular production shows once you get on?  Do they sell out?  I think you can do that with the app only on board, right?

We booked every show the first day, via the app, once onboard. As the week went on, we then changed our show time based on our schedule. The app shows you how many seats are left. Many times we changed to another time soon before the show started. On my last MSC cruise only two shows "sold out," and they both were the last show of the evening.

4) If we were gonna do one specialty dining restaurant (other than maybe the Mexican for lunch) which one is the best for a special dinner?

That is subject to taste preferences. You'll find reviews from people that loved and hated all of the specialty restaurants. I know that's a non-answer, but I didn't want to sway your opinion with my own.

Thanks!!

See my answers in bold above.

2 hours ago, 1stTimeRoyal said:

Yea, we did it to save the solo rate.  We will have an open bunk bed in the family balcony.  Theres a empty bed waiting for him.

i mean, worst comes to worst we will just let him in I guess.

Perhaps you aren’t familiar with the bracelet.  The bracelet does everything for you on the ship except ding you off and back on.  You need your card for that.  Bracelets are available at the photo kiosk and cost $10.  Get one for someone in your cabin and have the boy in grandpa’s cabin wear it and he will be able to enter your cabin.  Here are pictures.  (Before someone butts in…they are automatically issued to all in Yaxht Club and are free to them).

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1294.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Perhaps you aren’t familiar with the bracelet.  The bracelet does everything for you on the ship except ding you off and back on.  You need your card for that.  Bracelets are available at the photo kiosk and cost $10.  Get one for someone in your cabin and have the boy in grandpa’s cabin wear it and he will be able to enter your cabin.  Here are pictures.  (Before someone butts in…they are automatically issued to all in Yaxht Club and are free to them).

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1294.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

Thank you.  That is a very easy solution.  We will do that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 1stTimeRoyal said:

Absolutely no problem to change his card to your room. Do this BEFORE he gets his kids bracelet. The kids bracelet is mandatory, has nothing to do with these bracelets you can buy. 

Yes correct, done this many times. 

I am not sure about the Mera, but you are aware that the European Championship starts next weekend and soon after the Copa America? Usually MSC uses the theater for the matches then and no more regular shows. If the shows continue, booking with the app one or two days before should be enough.

Pretty hard to make the decision for myself, impossible to say what is best for you 🙂