Playa del carmen?What to do there?

randykaye

we will docking in calica i think, which I have heard is nothing, but we want to head to Playa for the day. We are there till 4pm. Any suggestions what beach to go to, places to eat or where to shop. From what I have read it sounds like you walk up onto the beach, that it is all public beach? Where we go to get chairs and umbrellas, drinks on the beach? Where is a bathroom, always gotta think about where the bathroom is!! Thnaks for all your help guys!! Happy Cruisin' Ya'll!

Playacar is one of my favorite places! It is how Cancun was 25 years ago (I hear), and unfortunately it will be like Cancun in another 5 years or so.

Playacar has one of the best shopping districts around. REAL stuff, quality, folk art, local handicrafts, etc. not just tourist souvenirs. There is a restaurant called La Palapa in town which is one of my favorite in the WORLD. Not cheap, but the menu is varied. Lesser expensive items in the 8-10 range, with nicer entrees upwards of that. Great mojitos and margaritas. MUST NOT BE MISSED! The whole place is a giant palapa, but it is beautiful inside with original artwork, and live music. I think they are open for lunch.

Nearby is Xcaret, Mexico's idea of a theme park. It has an underground river that you can snorkel through, lots of caves and such, very easy, you just float down the river. Botanical gardens, aquariums, dolphin swim, mayan city recreations, dances, a big Mayan folkloric floorshow after dark (if you are still there), horses, etc. You'll love it!

Just down the road is Tulum, some really nice Mayan ruins sitting on a cliff overlooking the sea, and near that is Xel Ha, which is another park that has a great lagoon for snorkeling, more dolphins, cliffs to dive off of, botanical gardens, like Xcaret but more natural.

I stayed in Playacar for a week at Christmas. The beaches are beautiful. If you want to snorkel though, it is ok, but I would take the ferry over to Cozumel where the snorkeling is much better.

Have fun! Playa is a great place!

Glory 6/5/04

NCL Sky May 2000 (Alaska)

2 words for you SENOR FROG'S

Great place to party! It's right on the beach. You can rent sailboats, wave-runners and kayaks. (Sailing drunk was a new experience)

At night the party gets even better.

I know there are some eco-tour things to do as well but for me it is all about the sand, the sun, cool clear water, music and drinks.

You'll have fun no matter what you do. You're on a cruise!!

Windjammer Fantome May 1988 ?

Elation Sept 2001

Voyager of the Seas May 2002

Celebration July 2002

Jubilee Sept 2002

Destiny June 2003

Jubilee Sept 2003

Archived