Cunard's "Refer a Friend" Fiasco

Classiccruiser777

In the past month or so I received a flyer from Cunard which mentioned the "refer a Friend" program. Basically, if a Cunarder refers a friend that hasn't sailed with Cunard in the past and that friend books a Cunard cruise with the referring friend then both the Cunarder and the friend receive $100 of OBC. Well, I tried to do this for our 26 night 2025 cruise with a friend of ours. It didn't work.

First, I couldn't find the link to fill out the necessary form. When I contacted Cunard they told me where the link was located. I looked at that spot but it wasn't visible. Cunard told me to refresh the page. I did and it still wasn't visible. Cunard told me that the link "comes and goes," and to try again at a different time. I did so, no go. Then I when to my local library and tried to find the link on one of its computers. Nope. Then I reached out to my travel agent. He found a way to fill out the form and send our friend the link. Didn't work.

Today I received word from my travel agent. "The referral program with Cunard is impossible to take advantage of. We could not get it to work no matter what we did."

Customers come and go, too.

I'm not sure if this will help any, but I've been curious about this "Refer a friend" promotion since it's been a nuisance with its prompts that pop up while I attempt to search for cruises on the website.

First of all, here is what the home page on the Cunard US website looks like with the "Refer a friend" prompt at the bottom right.

Referafriend(1).thumb.jpg.9ccccf3c7cdc8af23b8bd8260a588203.jpg

When I click on that prompt here is what it looks like.

Referafriend(2).thumb.jpg.5f9b085629c0320b66f52c115d4eee63.jpg

When I complete that form and submit it, I am given a URL to send to my friends to use to book their cruises. In my case, with a first name of John, that URL begins with "https://refer.cunard.com/John...".

When someone uses that URL, they get this screen. I have blurred out the XID= value in the URL since I figure that might be specific to me. I assume anyone I refer as a friend has to book their cruise on the Cunard website using that URL to record the booking as a referral from me.

Referafriend(3).thumb.jpg.960572e527f3fe4b94c3847d3257e0ce.jpg

Now I have no idea how the process works from this point. Perhaps it's broken from this point on. I doubt I will actually find anyone who might want to take advantage of this promotion. Just saying this is what I'm seeing for the start of the process if that's any different from what you and your travel agent have been attempting.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'm not sure if this will help any, but I've been curious about this "Refer a friend" promotion since it's been a nuisance with its prompts that pop up while I attempt to search for cruises on the website.

First of all, here is what the home page on the Cunard US website looks like with the "Refer a friend" prompt at the bottom right.

Referafriend(1).thumb.jpg.9ccccf3c7cdc8af23b8bd8260a588203.jpg

When I click on that prompt here is what it looks like.

Referafriend(2).thumb.jpg.5f9b085629c0320b66f52c115d4eee63.jpg

When I complete that form and submit it, I am given a URL to send to my friends to use to book their cruises. In my case, with a first name of John, that URL begins with "https://refer.cunard.com/John...".

When someone uses that URL, they get this screen. I have blurred out the XID= value in the URL since I figure that might be specific to me. I assume anyone I refer as a friend has to book their cruise on the Cunard website using that URL to record the booking as a referral from me.

Referafriend(3).thumb.jpg.960572e527f3fe4b94c3847d3257e0ce.jpg

Now I have no idea how the process works from this point. Perhaps it's broken from this point on. I doubt I will actually find anyone who might want to take advantage of this promotion. Just saying this is what I'm seeing for the start of the process if that's any different from what you and your travel agent have been attempting.

Thank you but I don’t get the prompt and I tried on numerous devices. 

2 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Thank you but I don’t get the prompt and I tried on numerous devices. 

Very curious indeed. I get the prompt on every device I try. I wish I didn't since I have to dismiss it to get the cruise search function to work. It's a real nuisance.

Here is what the Cunard US home page looks like on my phone.

Screenshot_20240910_164325_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dac4d17164b370bbe7744e5a2ad5a2ab.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Very curious indeed. I get the prompt on every device I try. I wish I didn't since I have to dismiss it to get the cruise search function to work. It's a real nuisance.

Here is what the Cunard US home page looks like on my phone.

Screenshot_20240910_164325_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dac4d17164b370bbe7744e5a2ad5a2ab.jpg

I even tried using a different browser. It still didn’t work. I reached out to Cunard, in writing, so we shall see.

Unfortunately this won't be of much help, but I figured it's still on topic.

But boy do I had this comes to the UK, it's a really good idea in my opinion (would be even better if it works, it seems!)

I've encouraged people in numerous social circles to try Cunard, both who have and have not cruised before. I'm not too fussed about the $100 OBC myself as I am about giving that option to someone I am recommending it to.

I wonder how the system decides what cruise to give your credit to if you have multiple booked, or does it give you the option to add an existing booking reference when you create your referral link @bluemarble?

17 minutes ago, MylesS said:

... I wonder how the system decides what cruise to give your credit to if you have multiple booked, or does it give you the option to add an existing booking reference when you create your referral link @bluemarble?

According to the Terms and Conditions, the "Advocate" (the one making the referral) will have the OBC credited to their Cunard World Club account when "the Friend's booking is fully paid and is active at 89 days or less before sailing."

Then it says:

"Advocate must use their OBC on any voyage sailing within 12 months of deposit into their Account. Advocate must contact Customer Service at (800) 728-6273 to apply credit to booking of their choice at least 72 hours after receiving email communication that confirms Friend has completed their booking and no later than seven (7) days prior to sailing."

• Thanks 1

I've been sailing with Cunard since 1977.... and in the space of a few months, I find that I can be called "a Cunarder" (which once referred to the ship not those sailing in it), and now I discover I can also be a "Advocate".  It sounds vaguely cult-esque and I think I have seen enough to forgo the $100 "OBC" thanks very much.  

1 minute ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I've been sailing with Cunard since 1977.... and in the space of a few months, I find that I can be called "a Cunarder" (which once referred to the ship not those sailing in it), and now I discover I can also be a "Advocate".  It sounds vaguely cult-esque and I think I have seen enough to forgo the $100 "OBC" thanks very much.  

You’ll be an influencer next!

• Haha 2

Oh should I but have known that, LOL. ( if it worked in the first place) I know at least 10 people who tried Cunard because I told them to go there if they want to find a different sea travel experience than on the mainstream cruise lines. Not a one of them did not return Cunard after the first voyage. I suppose many who post here have " influenced" others to try Cunard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

Oh should I but have known that, LOL. ( if it worked in the first place) I know at least 10 people who tried Cunard because I told them to go there if they want to find a different sea travel experience than on the mainstream cruise lines. Not a one of them did not return Cunard after the first voyage. I suppose many who post here have " influenced" others to try Cunard.

Maybe we should email for back payment 😉

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

"Advocate must use their OBC on any voyage sailing within 12 months of deposit into their Account. Advocate must contact Customer Service at (800) 728-6273 to apply credit to booking of their choice at least 72 hours after receiving email communication that confirms Friend has completed their booking and no later than seven (7) days prior to sailing."

And who is going to remember all that?  I expect a goodly number of "advocates" will never claim their credits.

• Like 2

As a follow-up to my post, I wrote to Cunard and received a response the same day. The only issue I had was that the link to the form to generate the referral wasn’t visible regardless of the device I used.

Following is the response I received from Cunard:

Dear Mr. Triller:

Thank you for your email, and apologize for the continued trouble you have experienced trying to refer your friend. I see by the notes in the history of your booking that one of my colleagues helped with completing the referral on your behalf.

Please check with your friend to see fi the invitation was received and completed. If the process was completed before the booking was made they will receive the referral credit posted to their booking no earlier than 89 days from sailing.

Most Sincerely,

David Winslow
Cunard Line. Est. 1840
North America Customer Service,
Help Desk, General Inquiries & Groups Dept.
24305 Town Center Drive
Suite 130
Valencia, CA 91355-0908
T:  1.800.728.6273
E:  generalinquiries@cunard.com

• Like 1

David Winslow from Cunard has always responded very quickly to my emails. He’s an MVP at Cunard customer service. Cunard needs an army of David Winslows! I just hope he’s a real person…

• Like 3