Cannes, what to see or do in town?

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to see or do in Cannes? It seems a lot of people take day trips to Nice or Monte Carlo, but with two kids ages 8 & 13, all the day trips get expensive. We are hoping to find something in Cannes worth seeing or doing. I'm a little concerned about the beaches, there are certain things a 13 year old boy does not need to be exposed to yet! Any advice would be appreciated.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to see or do in Cannes? It seems a lot of people take day trips to Nice or Monte Carlo, but with two kids ages 8 & 13, all the day trips get expensive. We are hoping to find something in Cannes worth seeing or doing. I'm a little concerned about the beaches, there are certain things a 13 year old boy does not need to be exposed to yet! Any advice would be appreciated.

First right out of the gate...most if not all the beaches in Europe are topless so if you do not want your kids to see bare breasts then don't go,but I would bet he has seen them.That aside,you can walk around the area and see the town itself,take the local train or bus to Antibes,and have a great seafood lunch,but I really would not worry to much about steering clear of the beaches and Cannes does have a nice one with sand(the others are mainly rocks),but you can find some things that all of you will enjoy I am sure.There was another thread on Cannes a short time ago that you may want to go back and check out.You can take the local trian to some of the other towns close by as well for not very much money.Enjoy your cruise.

Well, I guess you could take blindfolds for the kids (smile). Actually, there is a decent public beach (it has real sand) in Cannes...and although it is possible there could be some topless, it would be pretty rare. The beach is called the Plage du Midi and its located along the Blvd du Mide which is to the left of the Vieux Port (old port) if you are looking in from the sea. It is within walking distance and its free unless you want to rent chairs. There are lots of nice outdoor cafes (fun for lunch) along the Quai St Pierre..which is a stones throw from that beach. There is really nothing else in Cannes that would catch the interest of kids (there are the usual shopping streets). Another option would be to catch the train all the way to Monte Carlo (not my favorite place) where the kids might like seeing the Palace and the decent Oceangraphic Museum. When we used to take our daughter on trips (she is now grown) we would always ask her to learn about the places and than suggest what she wanted to see. It achieved some educational goals (my wife was a teacher) and also was a good motivational tool. It was amazing what a young girl wanted to do..... Eating Gelato (its also good in France) was high on her list and she also liked to shop (guess that is a female thing).

Hank

I'm traveling with a 10 & 14 year old, and we plan a lazy beach day at one of the free port beaches. The topless issue isn't a concern to me since last year in Mexico my son saw some ladies sunning. Seeing the first one he was sheepishly grinning. After that it was no big deal.

I've just returned from 5 days in Cannes and spend a lot of time in the area. The reality is that it is a boring place to take youngsters. It's a place to stroll and eat with the odd trip. A dog will enjoy Cannes more than youngsters.

The best I can suggest is to wander around the bay and take a ferry to one of the islands. The boat trip will interest them and the wander will help.

Just by the road works where they are digging up the old gare routiers by the Hotel de Ville is a pizza place that cooks on wood you and your kids will like - if you can get them to serve you. It is good food but after waiting for 30 minutes with no one bothering to give us a menu we gave up - even though the restaurant was empty except for waiters chatting. C'est la vie.

Sorry to sound negative but I genuinely do not think Cannes is the right place for you and I've not seen any suggestions to contradict this.

Jeff

There are plenty of sights to be seen in Cannes, e.g.

a medieval castle

a maritime museum in an old fort on an island

gardens

churches of various styles.

The links

http://www.cannes.fr/Anglais/patrimoinejouruk.html and

http://www.cannes.fr/Anglais/Artuk.html

will show you some of the major points of interest.

You might also enjoy watching the yachts in the harbour or just stroll around the promenade and the streets.

we spend a week pre cruise in cannes. the beaches cafes ect are great.there is also a train ride well its an open air vehicle they call a train runs every 30 min that goes through cannes into the old city. my teenagers like it.it starts near pailais festivale.

we spend a week pre cruise in cannes. the beaches cafes ect are great.there is also a train ride well its an open air vehicle they call a train runs every 30 min that goes through cannes into the old city. my teenagers like it.it starts near pailais festivale.

Are the beaches in Cannes as warm and clear as those in the Bahamas?

I honestly have a problem with some of the negative posts for Cannes (sorry UK). Its hard to imagine what some tourists (I am a tourist) expect from Europe. Cannes is just a city...which has the usual city things (shopping, restaurants, cafes, etc) and enjoys a wonderful location on the Riviera that is convenient for the train line, the easy access to nearby Provence, and its real sandy beach (pretty rare in Europe). Like UK, we have spent time in the city (twice in two different hotels) and were quite pleased. I will admit that our favorite time in Cannes is in the evening (after most cruises have departed) when we can have a wonderful dinner in a restaurant along the Rue St Antoine which puts its tables in the alley under the flapping laundry (very romatic). Would I rather spend a day in some of the charming towns of nearby Provence...sure! But cruises are limited to places that have ports,,,and for this I would prefer Cannes over some other places such as Monte Carlo.

Hank

I absolutely agree with glenneagle. There is nothing in Europe to compare with the beaches of either the Carribbean or the east coast of the USA. But when you want to swim on the Riviera, its about as good as it gets.

Hank

I absolutely agree with glenneagle. There is nothing in Europe to compare with the beaches of either the Carribbean or the east coast of the USA.

Hank

Hank, I'm puzzled how it's possible to be so sweeping. I promise you that there are 1000's of beaches in Europe that are as good or better.

I honestly have a problem with some of the negative posts for Cannes (sorry UK). Its hard to imagine what some tourists (I am a tourist) expect from Europe. Cannes is just a city...which has the usual city things (shopping, restaurants, cafes, etc) and enjoys a wonderful location on the Riviera that is convenient for the train line, the easy access to nearby Provence, and its real sandy beach (pretty rare in Europe). Like UK, we have spent time in the city (twice in two different hotels) and were quite pleased. I will admit that our favorite time in Cannes is in the evening (after most cruises have departed) when we can have a wonderful dinner in a restaurant along the Rue St Antoine which puts its tables in the alley under the flapping laundry (very romatic). Would I rather spend a day in some of the charming towns of nearby Provence...sure! But cruises are limited to places that have ports,,,and for this I would prefer Cannes over some other places such as Monte Carlo.

Hank

Hank, did you read and understand the original question?

It is about what to do inexpensively in Cannes with an 8 and a 13 year old in Cannes. Nothing you posted has anything to do with the OP's question.

Jeff

Archived