Your favorite hidden treasures?

mrsa1113

Ok, now that we have all of our excursions planned while in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, we know that in each port we will have at least a couple hours to just walk around town and/or shop. For those that have been to Alaska before, or live there, what are your favorite shops or places to go? Looking for more of the "off the beaten path" less touristy (if there is still such a thing) fun shops to go to. Less crowded, unique, etc. I welcome all ideas.

Thanks!

Kathy

But now you have me wishing we were going to Anchorage. Chocolate covered blueberries? Chocolate falls? Sounds like my kind of place. Just another reason to plan another longer trip to Alaska.

Still looking for those kind of ideas in the ports we will be in, Ketchikan, Juneau or Skagway, and Sitka for Libby.

thanks!

:)

My thoughts:

Skagway -- I don't think anything in town is hidden. :) Check with the National Park service for walking maps around town. I like to swing through the White Pass Railroad gift shop -- "behind" the NPS building as you walk into town.

Juneau -- I found great plus-sized T-Shirts at Alaska-To-Go right near the dock. I also like to pick up Russian Christmas ornaments and figurines at Grandfather Frost on the main street as you head into town.

Ketchikan -- Walking maps are available at the Visitor's Center kiosk. Get past the dockside area and head over to Creek Street for less touristy shopping. Haven't done this yet, but from Creek Street, you can take a funicular ($2) up to Cape Fox Lodge for a great view of Ketchikan. I think there are some totem poles up there as well.

I haven't been to Sitka yet, but I'm looking forward to going to the Wind Song Designs new studio. I picked up a couple of pieces of her Alaskan Nativity Set in Skagway last year.

You'll find the chocolate covered blueberries and cherries in most touristy shops around Alaska. Not as good as fresh, I'm sure!

There are a few ideas for you.

Karla

2 quick suggestions, both food related:

First are burgers, onion rings, banana milkshakes and fish & chips at The Hot Bite in Juneau... take a fishing or whale watching excursion (or taxi or bus tour) to get you out to Auke Bay Marina/Statter Harbor. That's where you'll find the Hot Bite... a cozy little place with great food. Be ready, however, for a bit of a wait... when they're busy it can take 45 minutes + to get your food. If you're on a fishing or whale watching trip, some captains will call your order in ahead of time so it's ready when you return. Never hurts to ask!

If you don't get out to Auke Bay, I'd also recommend the "Nelson Island Appetizer" or "The Nunivak" sandwich at the Red Dog Saloon. Both are new items this year, and I'm not tellin' what they're all about! :D I've been able to get a sneak peek at this summer's menu, and they must have written it just for me since some of my absolute favorites have made the list this year!

-Case

Archived