Summer theme or winter theme

babytraveler

Hi. This is a build off of the jacket/shoes thread....

I'm sorry. I still am not getting it. Are we packing for a summer with cool wet weather? Or are we packing for winter theme with weather that could get very warm?

Seriously!

It has been so beautiful lately. I've been shopping for my 2 little girls and myself getting ready for summer...

But we're going to Alaska at the beginning of summer. Do I keep out the winter wear? Or just a couple of sweaters to layer over summer wear?

We're going on HAL.

I keep reading how formal HAL is. So we need to manage:

**clothes for walking around boat on sailing days. Are we talking capris since it is summer, with a sweater for the cool, or all long pants because it is wintery weather? Sundresses because it is summer (with a white sweater) or sweater sets with skirts becaues it is winter weather?

**Formal wear. Now, do we get out the velvet formal wear dresses for because it is wintery weather? Or since it is summer, do we wear evening cotton florals or sleeveless little black dress with a pashmina?

**We're probably not going to do super adventerous excersions. Mendhall glacier park, walk around town, pan for gold maybe. So we can do windbreaker jacket, fleece under jacket jacket, and sneakers, right? The books keep saying hiking boots, turtlenecks, rain gear. If we're just walking around town, it shouldn't be that much more rugged than anywhere else? Yes? No? Any points brining flip flops for walking around, which is what we wear at home in June...

**So if we're watching Glacier Bay from the ship, is it going to be freezing with winter coats, or just cool? Is there any reason for a winter coat? I've read to bring gloves. In June? Really?

Yikes the luggage! We're traveling with a 2 year old and a 5 year old, neither of which will probably carry real luggage. Stroller. 2 car seats. Over a week's worth of diapers, wipes, zip loc bags. Toys. We can't carry that much luggage (and maybe the kids, too)!

So every item we bring will be precious. One color shoes that have to go with everything. One handbag. So I can't bring tons of stuff that we MIGHT wear. So need to target...

Summer theme? Winter theme?

Thanks!

I sailed in May on HAL last year and left all my summer clothes at home. I found that on HAL the styles were dressy and for the most part winter clothes were worn. I did see velvet in the evenings. I would suggest pants not capris only because it is chilly on deck. A waterproof windbreaker with some layers kept me comfortable on land for the excursions. I did use a back pack to carry gloves and other items and also to store layers if I got hot. It was never the case for me. I used my gloves a couple of times. I left the strappy dresses and sandles at home. Comfortable shoes or sneakers for the day. I noticed lots of warm up suits in the day. I went in May and sometimes the weather reminded me of October weather in Boston although I live in Florida now and feel cold when its 60. Traveling light would be impossible with a family but you can prioritize. Leave the winter coats & boots at home.

I sailed on the Volendam last year to Alaska and found it to be very relaxing and never encountered long lines. I loved cruising to Alaska so much that I am sailing there again next month. This time I am sailing on the Star with NCL. I think its wonderful that you are bringing your family.

Have a great trip.

Mimi

Babytraveler,

While I can't answer your questions, as you saw in the other thread, I have no idea how to pack. I just wanted to thank you for asking all my questions so clearly and with all the examples. For the life of me, I am still very confused (especially about the heavy winter coat and the capris). I am also traveling with kids, though mine are older, so no diapers!!

Please someone give some clarity to the how to pack/dress issue.

Keeping in mind that I am warm-natured and prefer to travel light, I tend to pack mostly pants/slacks and short-sleeved shirts. Daytime temps in port are typically going to be in the mid-60's then down to the mid/high 40's at night. I pack a couple of sweatshirts for layering and a light jacket with a zip-out lining. Glacier days will be cooler, so gloves and a hat/earmuffs are needed for staying out on deck.

Interior Alaska can be much warmer. I landed in Fairbank mid-June last year to 90 degree temps -- and since the sun doesn't go "down" (twilight) until after midnight, it's still that warm in evenings.

babytraveler,

I do understand your delema. Many years back we moved to Germany on assignment for IBM. We had a 2;4; and 5 1/2 year old. Packing was no easy task.

I call myself a recoverring overpacker:o and have gotten much better, especially for Alaska. We went for the first time last year and I really think I did well...considering. We're going back, leaving on May 20th. If you're going in the beginning of June, the weather should be nice...but remember: They say if you don't like the weather in , don't worry because it will change in 15 minutes!

Here's my take:

*You will find HAL on the dressy side at night. If it were me, I would plan on more winter type dress-up clothes. You're righ on about shoes, taking a pair each that will go with all your dinner outfits.

*I would take one pair of capri's in case it gets really warm.

*I would also take one pair of sandals for each, making sure they are the type that don't take up much room.

*As someone else mentioned, plan on it being cold when you're at the Glaciers. We visited Hubbard and that was our only really cold rainy day. yes it was cold and I'm glad I had my waterproof jacket with fleece lining; hat/gloves! I should have put on my nylon/lined wind pants before going out, but in the excitement I left the cabin with out them. Yes, I would plan on it being cold at the glacier. If it's not...horay!!

*Jeans are the order of the day, when in ports. I would take two pairs each. I took a fleece vest and was amazed at how much wear I got out of it, wishing I had another.

*I normally don't wear tee's but in ports I found that was the order of the day.

*You're right on with: "So we can do windbreaker jacket, fleece under jacket jacket, and sneakers, right?" The often repeated Layer; Layer; Layer is so true!

*By the way, how old are your little ones? Oh how I remember taking all the disposable diapers. I would take enough till you get to the first port. Then go to a store and buy some.

*Since you have a 5 year old, I would have her take a carry-on. I was at the airport picking someone up last week and was amazed at the size a little one was rolling behind her. I think she loved every minute of it too!

*Maybe someone who has traveled with little ones to Alaska can give better advice on this one, but do you really need car seats? I would check the laws in Alaska. If car seats are required, then wouldn't transportation co's have them available?

*Before going to Alaska I NEVER even considered using a backpack. Before our trip I got a combo backpack/carry-on. I love it, and using the back pack in ports would seem to me to be a must-do with little ones!

Hope this helps a bit!

Hi. This is a build off of the jacket/shoes thread....

I'm sorry. I still am not getting it. Are we packing for a summer with cool wet weather? Or are we packing for winter theme with weather that could get very warm?

Seriously!

It has been so beautiful lately. I've been shopping for my 2 little girls and myself getting ready for summer...

But we're going to Alaska at the beginning of summer. Do I keep out the winter wear? Or just a couple of sweaters to layer over summer wear?

We're going on HAL.

I keep reading how formal HAL is. So we need to manage:

**clothes for walking around boat on sailing days. Are we talking capris since it is summer, with a sweater for the cool, or all long pants because it is wintery weather? Sundresses because it is summer (with a white sweater) or sweater sets with skirts becaues it is winter weather?

**Formal wear. Now, do we get out the velvet formal wear dresses for because it is wintery weather? Or since it is summer, do we wear evening cotton florals or sleeveless little black dress with a pashmina?

**We're probably not going to do super adventerous excersions. Mendhall glacier park, walk around town, pan for gold maybe. So we can do windbreaker jacket, fleece under jacket jacket, and sneakers, right? The books keep saying hiking boots, turtlenecks, rain gear. If we're just walking around town, it shouldn't be that much more rugged than anywhere else? Yes? No? Any points brining flip flops for walking around, which is what we wear at home in June...

**So if we're watching Glacier Bay from the ship, is it going to be freezing with winter coats, or just cool? Is there any reason for a winter coat? I've read to bring gloves. In June? Really?

Yikes the luggage! We're traveling with a 2 year old and a 5 year old, neither of which will probably carry real luggage. Stroller. 2 car seats. Over a week's worth of diapers, wipes, zip loc bags. Toys. We can't carry that much luggage (and maybe the kids, too)!

So every item we bring will be precious. One color shoes that have to go with everything. One handbag. So I can't bring tons of stuff that we MIGHT wear. So need to target...

Summer theme? Winter theme?

Thanks!

I'm not sure where you are from, but I brought cool, damp spring clothing theme - closer to summer than to winter, but not summer. We didn't have any children with us, but we all wore either jeans or sweats during the day. Did not wear the one pair of shorts I brought or the flip flops - although I could have put the shorts on in Fairbanks (it was in the '90s in the day, but not super hot feeling). So, bring one pair of shorts each if you want, skip the capris, but you could bring those light weight pants for the children - and don't bring the heavy winter jackets.

Layers were the key - what I layered was either a tank top or a tee, covered by either a long sleeved "cozy" buttoned shirt (that could double as a dress shirt - black fake velvet), covered by a hoodie, covered by a windbreaker. the only time I wore ALL that was when we were in Glacier Bay on our balcony and within an hour I had taken all off but the tank and jeans. Also was the only time I wore the gloves. We didn't pack heavy duty snow gloves - they were the $2-$3 one size fits all stretch jobs. Each couple had a backpack that we stuffed the layers in as we took them off when on shore.

At night on the ship, you can dress as you want - you'll mostly be indoors and it's climate controlled. I usually wear twinsets for dinner on casual nights even in the Caribbean - can take the sweater off if I'm too warm or put it on if the air is up - or a dressy tank with a long sleeved blouse of some sort. For formal nights, I wore a skinny strapped black cocktail dress - I have an assortment and wear them all year long.

None of us brought hiking boots - we weren't going hiking - just sneakers. Rain gear or at least rain ponchos will enable you to still go ashore if it is raining, or give you some protection if you are out.

You have to check the weather shortly before leaving, there's no way to predict what it will be like until then.

I'd opt for more summer wear, with a light layer over it. One outfit for the glacier day (usually the only really cold day). A longer length raincoat with a zip out liner.

Check www.weather.com for a more accurate forecast the day before you leave. You can adjust your packing likewise.

Take bathing suits and sandals, even if you don't think you have to.

Archived