Explorer of the Seas/Pools - Fresh or Salt Water?

We are on the Explorer of the Seas in late August as first time RCCl cruisers. Previously we have cruised on Princess. The kids live in the pool when they are not in kids camp and it was my understanding that RCCL has salt water pools. In a recent review a poster indicated that the pools were fresh water (much to his surprise). Does anyone have any updated information or first hand knowledge? Thanks!

We have friends on Explorer this week and they said the pools were salt water much to their surprise since they had also read on these boards that the pools were freshwater. I called RC yesterday and they said Salt water. We will be on Explorer in three weeks. I'll know for sure then.

I am very skeptical of the claims of fresh water pools. The pools have always been salt water on RCI ships. It is easier to maintain and safer. The water is not the same salinity as the ocean. Therefore it doesn't taste as salty.

If they have changed this I would really like to hear this, but I am skeptical.

jc:p

When someone says "salt water pool", most people are going to think of it being like the ocean. But instead, they are more like saline, (similar to tears and eyedrops.) Technically, it is salt water, but most people would think it was freadh water if they did not know.

This is very interesting. I envisioned that salt water would be eye-stinging and foul to the mouth like the ocean and the kids would flip out. If it is more like Saline I am fine with it. Do you think saline burns your eyes when you are a five year that swims with her eyes open? Thanks again everyone.

Nothing to add in regards to RCCL, but I experienced the salt water pools on Carnival last year and really didn't like it at all. Seemed pretty salty to me, and the sun warmed it so much that it felt, smelled, and tasted (ugh) even saltier. Anyone been on RCCL AND Carnival? I really hope Carnival is the exception to the salty rule.

Julie

Where did the Explorer get the water from? It doesnt have the area that Princess does for its fresh water?

The pools are saltwater but they are also very clear. People in our party thought they were fresh water until they got into the water.

Serene....

Huh? I assume they got the water from the RO units, although I can't confirm that. Let me qualify that...the water in the Solarium pool was fresh water. Don't know about the others.

Archived