"SEARCHED" and still have ??? about Denali NP shuttle bus

irisheileen

Opting out of Tundra Wilderness Tour (told I can get a refund from Princess).

What are the logistics of getting from the Princess Wilderness Lodge in the early morning to get to DNP to get on the Shuttle bus IN the park? Have I read correctly that Princess DOESN'T have early shuttle TO the park? What ARE their times?

My date has a 7AM or 8:30AM shuttle still open for reservation to Fish Creek. there is also a 6:15, 6:45 and 7:15 Wonder Lake bus still with openings. Can we get a ride to any of these? We haven't yet decided on an 8hr or 11 hr trip!

Can we switch our reserved shuttle bus times later if we call two days earlier and try to get one of the 35% seats that were held back? (the 7:30 and 8am Fish Creek seem unavailable at this time)

What times do the Subway and bubba's open up in the early AM? (for packed lunch).

If we have to stay with the Tundra Wilderness tour, just what will we miss between Toklat and Fish Creek?

thanks in advance!!!

Eileen

No the Denali Princess lodge will not shuttle you that early to get a shuttle. Most likely don't schedule nothing before 9am.

Your reservation is for that specific bus, and no you can not change it without a fee and there still being space on another bus. But you can book a Wonder Lake bus and get off near Fish Creek and get on any return bus. For clairfication the Wonder Lake buses only stop at Fish Creek on the way BACK, so you would have a walk in from the road.

I went 9-1 last year into Denali Park and Princess was NOT shuttling to the Transportation Center, only the visitor center, which is a walk apart if lugging back packs etc. There were people dropped off there, looking for the "shuttle buses" by the princess shuttle. Had no clue they were in the wrong place. Also the return Princess shuttles don't run real late either.

So if you want an early shuttle, and in good shape and don't mind some hiking, you could walk to the transportation center less than 2 miles.

I also suggest you WAIT until 7am, 2 days before you want the shuttle and book then, once you find out all the current information on shuttles.

Subway is open 24 hours/day.

AND be certain you can get a refund for the Tundra Wilderness tour and verify this, several times. :)

This tour is costing you about $85.

You miss 10 miles of prime bear habitat, great scenery, plus paying triple.

Irish,

I can't believe someone doesn't provide early morning rides from main drag to transportation center, about 2 miles. There must be a taxi or private shuttle you could have arranged to pick you up at certain time. If hotels not offering this service, they are missing opportunity. We have always had car and drove there.

As for sandwiches, didn't know that Subway is open all night. Seemed like when we were there it wasn't. We got ours there the night before and they were even good enough to put our wet stuff in baggie so bread wasn't soggy by morning. We took small cooler on shuttle and it worked nice.

While I agree with BQ that shuttle is better in that it is cheaper, goes further into park if you want. But if you can't find a ride to park, it doesn't really matter much. I guess the tundra tour ticket price includes ride to park. We saw most of our wildlife before Toklat River, but its hard to say. If you can't find ride, don't stress over it and enjoy the tundra tour.

The Princess shuttles run, just not early enough for those early shuttles and not late enough to return from the last ones. And there were reports last year they did shuttle to the transportation center- that's why it is important to call and get the correct current information. I just happened to run into those people from Princess.

There are no taxis that I know of, and only one car rental.

For clairfication- there is a big sign- open 24 hours at the Subway. :)

I agree, since these people don't have their own transportation, and don't know the area, (if they walk, won't have the advantage of knowing exactly where they are going until they get there) The Tundra Wilderness tour is their best bet.

Where is the Subway located? Is it inside the park? We are taking the Denali Day trip through Talkeetna Aero, not exactly sure where they drop us off, but I'm assuming close to where the shuttle picks up. It would be great if we could grab subway sandwiches for the kids...

Where is the Subway located? Is it inside the park? We are taking the Denali Day trip through Talkeetna Aero, not exactly sure where they drop us off, but I'm assuming close to where the shuttle picks up. It would be great if we could grab subway sandwiches for the kids...

No it is in Glitter Gulch. 1++ mile away from the transportation center. But depending where the airport is?? Healy?? If so they drive right by.

You might want to give the folks at Talkeetna Aero a call. We're alos doing the Denali Day trip and according to the gal I spoke with it includes a lunch. We have folks with some special needs for food so she told me what's included. It sounds MUCH better than whats included with the Tundra Wilderness Tour. She told me they have a place in Talkeetna that makes the lunch which includes a turkey sandwich and sounded like enough to eat for the day.

Also the day trip includes taking you from where the plane lands to the shuttle bus.

Hope this helps!

IrishEileen, If you were going into the park the same day, we would give you a ride there. We are also staying at the Denali Princess Lodge and are taking the 6:45AM shuttle bus to Wonder Lake (thank you BQ). But after reading some of these answers, I'm a little confused about the physical locations of the visitor center, the transportation center, and where to park the car. I was also surprised to find that the Wonder Lake bus only stops at Fish Creek on the way back. The nps.gov site is almost useless when it comes to providing detailed information. Their Denali map shows three restrooms along the route. Are those the only restroom stops? How long does the bus stop at various points to let you get out and take some photos? Does the same driver drive the entire eleven hour round trip? I guess the answers are obvious after you've been there, but I don't want to start the day confused about the location of the transportation center.

IrishEileen, If you were going into the park the same day, we would give you a ride there. We are also staying at the Denali Princess Lodge and are taking the 6:45AM shuttle bus to Wonder Lake (thank you BQ). But after reading some of these answers, I'm a little confused about the physical locations of the visitor center, the transportation center, and where to park the car. I was also surprised to find that the Wonder Lake bus only stops at Fish Creek on the way back. The nps.gov site is almost useless when it comes to providing detailed information. Their Denali map shows three restrooms along the route. Are those the only restroom stops? How long does the bus stop at various points to let you get out and take some photos? Does the same driver drive the entire eleven hour round trip? I guess the answers are obvious after you've been there, but I don't want to start the day confused about the location of the transportation center.

Bathroom stops are about every 1 1/2 hours and you have about 20 mins. at the stop, longer at Fish Creek which has some nice exhibits. Yes, if you stay with the SAME bus it is the same driver for the whole day.

But you can get out ANYWHERE and get another bus. Just make sure you keep your ticket.

The transportation center- where you get all the shuttle buses, is right at the entrance from the Parks Highway on the LEFT, plenty of parking, the old visitor center. The new visitor center, is a little further, near the train depot on the left. I highly suggest- since it is necessary to arrive the day before, to drive to Savage River anyway, for some sightseeing and possible wildlife sightings. Then you will go right by both.

Archived