stranded on shore excursion

bazarr2

I also want to know. Unless something has changed in the past year or so, I have not had any problems using Discover in Mexico or Caribbean. I prefer to use it since Discover doesn't (or didn't??) charge a currency exchange rate like Visa/MC/AmEx. If it's a matter of DSC not being accepted everywhere, I can understand that. However, AmEx is also not accepted everywhere.

Discover is NOT accepted in Belize and some other countries.

Yes, the ship will leave you. However, that should not stop people from going on independent shore excursions. These people live and die by their reputations. A tour operator that is recommended on the boards is going to watch that time like a hawk. It's their business if they don't. Go to the ports of call portion of the boards and look for recommendations. If you have several users, who have a lot of posts, recommending someone, you are usually in very good hands.

I also want to know. Unless something has changed in the past year or so, I have not had any problems using Discover in Mexico or Caribbean. I prefer to use it since Discover doesn't (or didn't??) charge a currency exchange rate like Visa/MC/AmEx. If it's a matter of DSC not being accepted everywhere, I can understand that. However, AmEx is also not accepted everywhere.

Another option is American Express, which charges a flat 2 percent. Discover Card charges no fees for foreign billings, but outside the United States it's only accepted in parts of Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico. Whichever card you use, avoid cash advances. Fees can exceed 5 percent, plus the interest rate may be higher than what you'd pay for regular credit-card purchases. Belize is not in the Caribbean, but Central America.

My advice - take a young women that is on the cruise by herself w/ her children - leave the kids on the boat and that way if you miss the ferry, she can freak out in Playa and they will work their butts off getting you back to the ship ~!!!

Not to make light of it all - but this happened to me.... I was in Playa, my kids were on the boat (with 25 other family members, but I didn't tell the coastal police nor the captain that) and I missed the ferry back to the port. Luckily for me - the port security called the ferry to rush them back and the Princess Captain and asked them to wait... and they did.....and I owe the captain eternally - but that's a different point.

Some inside info - the ferry runs every hour until about 6 or 7. It takes about 45 minutes to cross the channel between mainland and Cozumel.

I would say - meet your sister - just be very concious of time.....

Enjoy your cruise - and the extra money you save...~!!!

Archived