Laptop : tagged luggage or carry on ?

woody2108

My boss decided to check his laptop once. He put it in his suitcase wrapped and surrounded very carefully with clothing. When he got to his destination he called and asked me why the screen looked the way it did...must be a computer malfunction he insisted. Black circle in the middle of the screen with what looked like spider cracks coming out to the edges of the screen. I immediately knew that he had checked it, the handlers handled the luggage like they always to and heaved something heavy on top of it.

Unless you want a hefty repair bill (his was approx $600) of your screen (no mfg warranty covers carelessness) you will definitely want to carry it on yourself.

Why anyone would ask if they should check their laptop is beyond me. This is something that is known for almost all travel - never check something that is more expensive than the trip itself (or close to anyway). Spend one day at an airport or cruise ship terminal and watch how the baggage handlers "handle" you bags and you'll understand why. Also, customs could open the bag and what stopping them from carefully packaging it up again?

I cannot imagine NOT carrying it with me at all times. A word of caution...as you go through airport security and place it through the Xray machine keep a CLOSE eye on it. Many laptops are stolen in airport security. Hard to believe but true. My collegue recently had his laptop bag, includiing laptop, stolen from beside his booth as he was eating in a restaurant!

Archived