New Jersey accommodations

photobug

Could someone tell me if you take the ferry from the Sheraton Weehawken, where do you dock and what is there? We thought of taking it over the day before our cruise to see NY. Do we need to catch a taxi to get us to Central Park by the Plaza? I assume there are taxi's at this dock. Any suggestions on a safe sight seeing route? Any suggestions for a great restaurant on the Hudson with a wonderful view, possibly outside dining. We will have 2 children with us so keep this in mind.

You don't say how long you have in New York nor the ages of your kids but the following would be good for kids aged 8+. Anything younger, take the Grayline Double Decker Tour Bus. I really love the tour because it gives a great overview of Manhattan.

The ferry is pretty much right out the door of the hotel but keep in mind that it does not run on weekends. The ferry stop is Midtown around 39th Street so I'd suggest a cab to Times Square at 42nd Street and walk up Seventh Avenue to Central Park. Walk east on Central Park South and The Plaza is on the corner of Fifth Avenue and CPS. You will not be able to see much because The Plaza is under scafolding from such heavy renovations.

Walk South on Fifth Avenue. St. Patrick's Cathedral (go inside and check it out) is on 51st and Fifth Avenue and Rockefeller Center starts right across the street (Rock Center covers 22 acres of Midtown Manhattan so you can't see it all). I highly suggest going to the Top Of The Rock (http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/).

Afterward continue your trek down Fifth Avenue to Grand Central Terminal (http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/) and go inside. The constellations on the roof of the main concourse are amazing. Really mind blowing as is the building. While you are there, you might as well stop at world famous Juniors for the cheesecake and Two Boots for pizza.

From Grand Central, you can catch a cab back to the ferry station or all the way back to New Jersey.

I don't know of any great restaurants on the Hudson but keep in mind that restaurants with views, with the exception of a very few (One If By Land & Foley's Fish House), are very grossly overpriced for mediocre food.

Thanks Blueherons. Children are only 4 and 7. We thought we would possibly do the carriage ride through Central Park. I understand they form outside the Plaza. Is this true? We are only in NY for one day, a Wednesday, before our cruise on Thursday. I know we won't see much but thought it would be nice to at least set foot in NY for a few hours. I'm most excited about sailing past the Statue of Liberty.

Thanks Blueherons. Children are only 4 and 7. We thought we would possibly do the carriage ride through Central Park. I understand they form outside the Plaza. Is this true? We are only in NY for one day, a Wednesday, before our cruise on Thursday. I know we won't see much but thought it would be nice to at least set foot in NY for a few hours. I'm most excited about sailing past the Statue of Liberty.

Gotcha! Can you take an umbrella stroller for the four year old? The seven year old would probably be okay for the walk. From 42nd Street to Central Park, it is 17 block walk, almost a mile. If not I do suggest the Grayline Tour Bus.

The horses are right across the street from the Plaza on the Central Park side of the road. Don't worry, you'll smell them long before you see them!

One really great thing to do is to head to Battery Park and jump on the (free) Staten Island Ferry. It has the BEST water views of the Statue of Liberty, the Brooklyn Bridge, and Lower Manhattan and the Financial District. You could probably do this first then cab it up to Central Park and pick up either the Grayline (which also picks up in front of the horse buggies) or my ideas.

Archived