New Jersey accommodations

photobug

We are sailing on the Spirit October 29th this year and are driving from Pittsburgh and do not wish to park at the pier. Can anyone suggest a hotel for Oct 28th on the Jersey side close to the New York Port where we can leave our car for the length of our cruise.

Also would like some info on car service/limo/cab to and from cruise.

Thanks so much.

Hey photobug!

We also are sailing on the Spirit out of NYC on 10/29 and driving there from Pittsburgh. Small world... We're looking at Jersey options also, spending a couple nights before the cruise and taking the train into town. My daughter (age 15) has never seen Manhattan and is very eager to do so.

Come visit us at the Roll Call board!

I found $175.00 including 14 nights Parking @ Best Western Newark Airport and I think about 15 miles to city. Would like something closer to cut down on the car service charge.

The Four Points by Sheraton Newark Airport also offers parking. I thinks it's $135 including 7 nights parking and a additional $8 for each additional night.

(I've been searching).

901 Spring Street Elizabeth, New Jersey 07201 United States

Phone (908) 527-1600

JudiinMt...thanks for the headsup on a limo service. I need that info! Can you give me an idea of the cost???

SandyBeach...does the Sheraton provide parking? I'll check it out myself later today.

Wow. I really appreciate the info. Maybe I'll visit you all on the roll call board.

Thanks a million.

I've posted this before but please think again before staying at the Best Western Newark.

Can you tell us what happened to you there, and when was the last time you stayed at this hotel? We are booked there the night before our cruise. I even called the hotel manager, who has told me that everything is fine there and even the rooms were renovated. Parking lot security has been beefed up, too.

We are staying at the Sheraton, Weehawken. This hotel is right on the Hudson across from New York. Looks like a great view of the New York skyline.

I called the above Sheraton this morning and they do not have extended stay parking for cruise passengers. She said we would have to use the ferry parking lot (pay) across the street. The view and location looks great though. I'll probably choose a hotel closer to Newark Airport for when we drive in.

Can you tell us what happened to you there, and when was the last time you stayed at this hotel? We are booked there the night before our cruise. I even called the hotel manager, who has told me that everything is fine there and even the rooms were renovated. Parking lot security has been beefed up, too.

Yes, I stayed there in March of 2003 and someone tried to break into my room. After being up all night with the Newark New Jersey Police, the hotel left me on my own and never followed up with me. Not that the hotel had anything to do with the break in but what about a phone call? Or sending hotel security to my room WHEN I CALLED?

The 'beefed up' security for the parking lot is a chain link fence. Why do you think the hotel has 10 foot chain link fence around it? Not the property but the hotel and parking lot.

Newark New Jersey has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country.

The area is completely crap. I've been by the hotel 100 times since my stay (I only stayed there because of a very early flight out of EWR) and there is no change. The fence has been there.

The turnover rate at the BW is very high. I've been in the hospitality business for years. It is common knowledge just like the Riese Bros run crappy restaurants out of NYC.

I bet money the same GM isn't at the hotel by the time your cruise rolls around.

Honestly johnjen, I don't care if you stay there. I've tried to warn you when you asked about the hotel but you don't care. I'm trying to help out others.

Since you have not stayed there yet, how about holding off on your comments about how great the Best Western Newark Airport is?

Yes, I stayed there in March of 2003 and someone tried to break into my room. After being up all night with the Newark New Jersey Police, the hotel left me on my own and never followed up with me. Not that the hotel had anything to do with the break in but what about a phone call? Or sending hotel security to my room WHEN I CALLED?

The 'beefed up' security for the parking lot is a chain link fence. Why do you think the hotel has 10 foot chain link fence around it? Not the property but the hotel and parking lot.

Newark New Jersey has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country.

The area is completely crap. I've been by the hotel 100 times since my stay (I only stayed there because of a very early flight out of EWR) and there is no change. The fence has been there.

The turnover rate at the BW is very high. I've been in the hospitality business for years. It is common knowledge just like the Riese Bros run crappy restaurants out of NYC.

I bet money the same GM isn't at the hotel by the time your cruise rolls around.

Honestly johnjen, I don't care if you stay there. I've tried to warn you when you asked about the hotel but you don't care. I'm trying to help out others.

Since you have not stayed there yet, how about holding off on your comments about how great the Best Western Newark Airport is?

It's the first time that I have heard this from you, Blue Heron, and I am listening, believe me, but BACK OFF FROM YOUR PATRONIZING. I never said that the Best Western was great. I only stated what was told to me, and was even invited up there for a free stay (I haven't taken her up on that yet).

So, please tell us, where is there a decent hotel that has a park and cruise program?

Yes...please do tell us.

how about

The Four Points by Sheraton Newark Airport also offers parking. It's $126 plus tax including 7 nights parking and $8 for each additional night.

Is this one decent. Thanks.

Yes...please do tell us.

how about

The Four Points by Sheraton Newark Airport also offers parking. It's $126 plus tax including 7 nights parking and $8 for each additional night.

Is this one decent. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check into it. Meanwhile, I passed on Blue Heron's info to another thread for further assessment, plus I will be calling the BW again. Someone else had told me to check into the Secaucus and Lyndhurst area hotels to see what they have to offer but I have no idea how far they are from the pier.

The Four Points gets bad reviews in terms of quality, it's "acceptable" but "not nice".

For those looking to visit Manhattan i would NOT recommend staying near the airport as getting to the city is not that easy, convenient, or cheap via mass transit.

Secaucus, Lyndhurst (and add East Rutherford to the list too) are only 20 minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel so figure 30 minutes from the pier, but all of this is traffic dependent, which is a big variable and unknown in this area... could take you 30 minutes, could take you 90 minutes (not usually, but certainly possible)

Do look at the Sheraton in Weehawken.... if visiting Manhattan beforehand the ferry is a nice (but expensive!) way to go, but there is also a bus that stops virtually infront of the hotel that goes into NYC for cheap (~$2.xx)

This NCL cruise out of NYC is stressing me out. Finding a hotel, limo cost, getting across the river, etc., etc. is too much of a hassel.

We have always drived to our cruise port destinations for the past 25 years whether Boston, Florida, Maryland, or South Carolina. So I guess you can call me an experienced cruiser. We do not fly.

So I've made a decision. I cancelled the NCL Spirit and booked RCCL Explorer Of The Seas 9 night cruise out of Bayonne. I've always wanted to do this ship anyway.

Yes I'm going to stay at the Best Western and take their $175 room/shuttle to and from the port. Leaving our car here can't be any worse than were we parked our car in Baltimore last year.

So thanks everyone for your help and enjoy your cruise out of NYC.

This NCL cruise out of NYC is stressing me out. Finding a hotel, limo cost, getting across the river, etc., etc. is too much of a hassel.

We have always drived to our cruise port destinations for the past 25 years whether Boston, Florida, Maryland, or South Carolina. So I guess you can call me an experienced cruiser. We do not fly.

So I've made a decision. I cancelled the NCL Spirit and booked RCCL Explorer Of The Seas 9 night cruise out of Bayonne. I've always wanted to do this ship anyway.

Yes I'm going to stay at the Best Western and take their $175 room/shuttle to and from the port. Leaving our car here can't be any worse than were we parked our car in Baltimore last year.

So thanks everyone for your help and enjoy your cruise out of NYC.

What is the date of your cruise? We're on Explorer 16 June and there is quite a few of us over at the M&M board that will be staying there the night before!

What is the date of your cruise? We're on Explorer 16 June and there is quite a few of us over at the M&M board that will be staying there the night before!

We try to do 2 cruises a year. We are leaving home on May 8th for the drive to Florida to pickup daughter and grandson on May 13th at midnight at the Orlando Airport...whoa. Then heading to the Raddison at Port Canaveral for hopefully 6 hours sleep before the 5night cruise on the Fantasy. This should be fun.

We are sailing on the Explorer on October 20th this year. Would liked to have gone earlier in October but I have to shoot my nephews wedding on October 14th. Really looking forward to the Explorer. We did the Jewel for 10nights last year out of Boston...loved every minute. Hope you have fun on yours john.

Two cruises a year? Good for you! We'd love to plan that, but I only get three weeks of vacation a year! Have a safe and fun-filled trip.

I did some more checking on the Best Western in Newark. It's getting a bad rap. I won't deny something might have happened to the blue heron guy there, but then again, it could happen in ANY hotel. The hotel parking lot is gated and has cameras. We have a few families that will be staying there and leaving their cars for the duration of the cruise.

Two cruises a year? Good for you! We'd love to plan that, but I only get three weeks of vacation a year! Have a safe and fun-filled trip.

I did some more checking on the Best Western in Newark. It's getting a bad rap. I won't deny something might have happened to the blue heron guy there, but then again, it could happen in ANY hotel. The hotel parking lot is gated and has cameras. We have a few families that will be staying there and leaving their cars for the duration of the cruise.

Thanks for the update John I really appreciate the info on the BW.

Yes hubby and I can now cruise 2 times a year...I retired from the railroad 1 year ago yesterday and no longer am I tied down to vacation. WooHoo!

It's the first time that I have heard this from you, Blue Heron, and I am listening, believe me, but BACK OFF FROM YOUR PATRONIZING. I never said that the Best Western was great. I only stated what was told to me, and was even invited up there for a free stay (I haven't taken her up on that yet).

So, please tell us, where is there a decent hotel that has a park and cruise program?

Quite honestly I don't care where you stay but stop suggesting this hotel to other people when you've never stayed there.

Other great hotels, Doubletree and Hyatt in Jersey City and the Sheraton Weehawken but I'm not sure they have park and stay. One thing to keep in mind that in that area, parking is a premium and expensive. Hotels that give away parking do so because they have a hard time getting guests otherwise.

By the way johnjen, I am not a male and I am filtering you so I no longer have to read your posts.

Quite honestly I don't care where you stay but stop suggesting this hotel to other people when you've never stayed there.

The "positives" have beat out your negatives on the hotel, simply put. With your attitude, it's no wonder someone tried breaking into your room!

We stayed at the Sheraton Weehawken in Dec of 05 before we sailed on the Spirit and the hotel is wonderful and it does have a great view of the NY Skyline. Not sure about the parking as we flew in to NJ and used a car service from the hotel to the port. Hope you have a great stay at the Sheraton and a great cruise on the Spirit.

gina

• 2 weeks later...
Any thoughts on the Marriott at EWR (Newark Airport) for 2-3 nights pre-cruise out of Cape Liberty?

Is there a reason you want to stay by the airport? The Marriott is the nicest of the Newark Airport hotels but I don't recommend staying in that area unless you have an early flight out as the area is dismal.

Transportation into New York from there isn't that easy either.

I do suggest either the Doubletree or Hyatt Jersey City or the Sheraton Weehauken.

Could someone tell me if you take the ferry from the Sheraton Weehawken, where do you dock and what is there? We thought of taking it over the day before our cruise to see NY. Do we need to catch a taxi to get us to Central Park by the Plaza? I assume there are taxi's at this dock. Any suggestions on a safe sight seeing route? Any suggestions for a great restaurant on the Hudson with a wonderful view, possibly outside dining. We will have 2 children with us so keep this in mind.

Archived