RoundTrip Airfare Fare Versus OneWay Strategy

wrahn2002

I'm thinking about taking a cruise across the Altantic and then flying back to the USA. The fare for the oneway back is twice as much as a roundtrip from overseas. What is the result of booking a roundtrip back and not using the return ticket? Is this a good strategy? Are there any legal reasons why I can't do it?

Thanks for any input.

Have you tried calling an airline consolidator to find a good international fare? Rules may be different international as to whether you can even buy a ticket that begins in a foreign country w/o it actually being the return portion going to your permanent residence. Another option might be to return to the airport you came into. I've read that there are flights on Ryan air for one that are making it inexpensive to fly within Europe much cheaper than it used to be. I guess it's fare wars within Europe!

I'm thinking about taking a cruise across the Altantic and then flying back to the USA. The fare for the oneway back is twice as much as a roundtrip from overseas. What is the result of booking a roundtrip back and not using the return ticket? Is this a good strategy? Are there any legal reasons why I can't do it?

Thanks for any input.

Obviousley the airline doesn't like anyone doing that. But if your are not a frequent flyer (with miles to lose) then go for it!

A method some people use to get around the red flags raised when someone from North America buys a round trip air ticket from Europe is to book the return part several months down the road so that it coincides with another transatlantic cruise. For example, you cruise from NY-Southampton and fly home, then, say, 6 months later, you fly back to London to sail back to NY. They don't have to know you don't really have that second cruise booked. Then you call them up 4 months from now and cancel the flight. You can even try asking for a future credit for it LOL.

Or you could do something really wacky like actually booking a second transatlantic cruise in the opposite direction and book the round trip air from Europe to service both cruises LOL. Most airlines give you up to a year to use th return portion of a ticket anyway.

A method some people use to get around the red flags raised when someone from North America buys a round trip air ticket from Europe is to book the return part several months down the road so that it coincides with another transatlantic cruise. For example, you cruise from NY-Southampton and fly home, then, say, 6 months later, you fly back to London to sail back to NY. They don't have to know you don't really have that second cruise booked. Then you call them up 4 months from now and cancel the flight. You can even try asking for a future credit for it LOL.

Or you could do something really wacky like actually booking a second transatlantic cruise in the opposite direction and book the round trip air from Europe to service both cruises LOL. Most airlines give you up to a year to use th return portion of a ticket anyway.

This is exactly what we are doing. Our flight is from Europe in late May after our cruise and return flight to Europe in late October to coincide with another transatlantic if we choose to go.

....The fare for the oneway back is twice as much as a roundtrip from overseas....

For my upcoming October cruise from Barcelona I am faced with one of those multi-city flights. My home airport is not a gateway so I would be routed LAX-BCN, MIA-LAX by the cruiseline at a respectable $870.00, but then I needed R/T from my home to LAX which kicked it up a notch to $1300+. :eek:

I got lucky :confused:with a one-way Priceline fare of $500 (after the added fee for a paper ticket, tax, and handling) from JFK to BCN on Swiss Air. Travelocity pitched in with a multi-city fare from my home airport to JFK then MIA to home on American for $550.00. With ‘only’ six months until sailing I’ve got my flights and seats :cool:

So now I've got an 'extra' $250 for Barcelona paella and tapas or wine on board Century :D

Archived