A couple singles questions

Princess311

Hi there:)

A Single Supplement is $$$ the cruiseline asks for when you are traveling solo.

In other words, they want money for 2 people...even if there is only one person in the cabin. Depending on the cruiseline there are different amounts of supplements. Usually it is a %....some are 110% and others run up to double--200%.

I cruise solo all the time and I love it:D . Can go when I please, where I please, you meet the nicest people on cruiseships too! If I feel like doing something, I do it, if not, a good book and a drink by the pool is very inviting as well!

I have been on 4 cruises since May 2003.......all 4 solo...I LOVE IT!

Advice....request a large table for dinner...I always do that! Great way to meet people:) and I usually book 1 or 2 excurisons through the cruiseline. Sometimes they might be a bit more money but its a great way to meet others as well.

I also participate in Trivia...they usually offer that during the day! I love it!

But, I also enjoy chatting to a nice bartender at the pool!

Cruising solo is a FANTASTIC VACATION!

Not going on the Golden, but go with a positive attitude and have a wonderful time:)

One way to get some really good deals (not all of them, but many) is through yourowncabin.com. I have a friend who has sent me some of their deals for singles and they are much better than the normal 175-200% "extra" we would usually pay to have a cabin solo. Some are relatively short notice but others are 4-8 months out including some holidays. NCL also discounts single supplements for some cruises.. you have to watch their website.

• 3 years later...

Hi Lois,

Nice to meet you. I am cruising this Thursday, 8/23/07 out of NY, the Carnival Miracle. I am going on vacation with my two daughters, 16 & 17. I am a single mom. I am starting to freak out, LOL. I really wish I had a friend coming along. I know I will not see the girls, and I am nervous about being alone. I am a very friendly person, so you think I should be ok? You wrote how you love it, so I hope I will too! Any advice is welcome. Have a great day. Dori

Dori, check out the "Solo Board":) ....it is the other board with

solo questions.....there are ALOT of threads over there too.:)

That post was from 2004;) in the last 3 years I have been on 11 cruises...9 of them solo:D

And I am going again in October!

Hope you have a great time!:)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been cruising as a single Mom for 8 years now. It's a perfect and safe getaway for me and my daughter. As she grew older, her interests and friends changed, but I always knew she'd be safe off on her own on our ships. I so much enjoy my time alone on a cruise as well that I am planning my first solo. I am very disappointed to report that Royal Caribbean charges 200% for a single, despite the fact (and I tried to argue this point with them) that I would only be having one meal each time. But they are concerned about "lost opportunities" and that's why they discriminate in this manner. I will heed the advice of others in this string and will try other lines. My loyalty to RCCL only goes as far as my diamond membership, but I'm not willing to pay twice as much for my freedom.

I'll let you all know how I make out in my shopping.

PS I was a travel agent for many years. I know what I can get away with!

Archived