In an emergency can cruise ships be evacuated rapidly?

Bequia

Don't know how true it is but the travel channel from time to time airs a show called cruise secrets. The capt. of the Elation talks a little about that and says that the ship can be evacuated in 30 minutes. I too hope I never have to find out.

I agree that IF everybody goes to muster drill and knows exactly where they are supposed to be - should go off without a hitch. Hope I never have to find out first hand.:rolleyes:

Most passengers leave quickly in an emergency. But there is always that last group of "large" people in the Lido who just cannot tear them selves away from one more sandwich or ice cream cone. The crew normally need to use Tasers and pepper spray to force them away from the food and off the ship.

Most passengers leave quickly in an emergency. But there is always that last group of "large" people in the Lido who just cannot tear them selves away from one more sandwich or ice cream cone. The crew normally need to use Tasers and pepper spray to force them away from the food and off the ship.

Don't know why that insensitive comment was needed, but if you want to play that game, I'd say the drinkers in the bars might be harder to pry loose than the so-called "large" people or maybe the gamblers who are having a good luck streak.

Thanks a bunch, people!

Last night, I dreamed I was on the Westerdam and we got hit by a rogue wave. I saw it coming off to starboard and said to everyone within range, "Get down on the floor and against something away from the windows!" One old guy was standing in a doorway and just stayed there. The wave hit and I thought, "I wonder what it's like to die on an overturned, submerged cruise ship?" There was no time to evacuate; the wave just started and I watched it build up to this massive rogue wave.

Of course, it didn't help that Jon Stewart, on "The Daily Show," had the logo from the Poseidon Adventure movie as part of a political riff he was doing.

I don't think any of us survived, btw.

Archived