This is my 1st cruise......help

Jen_ny

HI! This is my first cruise is on september 24 on the adventure of the seas, im going with my boyfriend. Ive looked at the pictures and read some reviews about the ship and the islands. But im not sure what would be the best things to do in the islands we are stopping . im going to, we leave from puerto rico (sail) aruba, then curacao. I would love to go snorkeling, jetskin' and party, but also (if i got time) see the city.

I really hope someone got some tips for me :)

Hey-

We just got back from a cruise that stopped here. We went on a "country Drive" This is a very poor island, and for us was quite sad. It really made us realize what we take for granted in the States. Our tour guide was extremely proud of her island and we did have a nice time with her. There isn't a whole lot to see. Miles and miles of cactus growing everywhere. The north side of the island was interesting although there is absolutely nothing there. The winds are too strong and the coast is made of coral. It's very odd getting out to nothing. The other side of the island is more appealing with a couple of nice beaches to see. I'm glad we took took the tour while we were there, but next time would probably try snorkling or something at that stop.

Debbie

I spent a week in Curacao last August. I was not on a cruise so I don't what shore excursion options you have. I would recommend that you either spend the day in the city or go scuba diving. The city is beautiful with a few excellent museums, shops, restaurants, etc. Don't miss a tour of the synagogue, one of the oldest in the world.

Curacao is known for its diving and if you scuba dive a diving trip should not be missed. I would have to guess that there are some excursions for snorklers only. I would not visit the sea aquarium as it is "dumpy" and not very interesting. The ostrich farm is interesting but not worth the visit. The same hold true for the herbal garden.

Bottom line is that Curacao is a very European city with excellent diving opportunities. If you have half a day or so walk around the city. Driving around the island is not worth the time or trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a little late when we finally got off the ship in Curacao. But getting a taxi was a breeze. He dropped us off at KonTiki Beach at my request. There was a small admission fee ($3 ??) which got you a beach chair and umbrella. I noticed that all the taxi drivers sign in so I imagine they get some sort of compensation. The beach was very nice and had a bar where we got fresh fruit smoothies for about $5. Also had a small gift shop. All in all we really enjoyed the time we spent there. Also, had no trouble getting a taxi back to the ship as it seems to be a regular stop.

• 3 months later...

Wow, I am surprised at the comment of Curacao being a poor island.:eek:

We were to Curacao last year and as a port found it to be very beautiful. We only stayed in the city, saw the synagogue, the floating market, had a taxi drive around to the fancy hotels and along the industrial way and went to the Seaquarium. It was a wonderful day!

As far as poor goes, I'm sure it's not the richest island but it was richer than say Costa Rica or Puerto Plata.

It is beautifully colourful and we can't wait to go back there to try the snorkeling!

hello centralmom 263,

I also would like to read what you have to say after you return from Curacao. We will be going there in Februay and wanted to rent a jetski someplace. If you have a chance, let me know if you get any information.

Have a great time on the cruise.

Thanks,

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Archived