How do I try to get meal time changed?

Moogy

We booked late, so only the main (late) mealtime was available. I know that won't work for us, but I hate to eat at the alternative dining ALL the time. What is the proper way to request a change to early seating (or maybe the way most likely to be successful?) ?

Can I request it before the trip, or do I need to wait until I am on board?

Verbal request, written request, email? Do I ask my travel agent to handle this, or do I do it myself? I didn't think to ask her when I saw her today...

Should I give reasons (elderly father needs an early bedtime....) or skip the reasons because they don't care?

Thanks for any advice. I am new at this and don't know the ropes....

Moogy

Hi Moogy,

If your dad has a medical problem and needs to eat early you can get a doctor's letter for your TA to fax to HAL with a request for an early seating. Otherwise you will have to speak to the Maitre D' once you're onboard. He has hours on the day of boarding in one of the public rooms. The dining room staff will try very hard to accomodate you even if it doesn't happen on the first day, they will keep trying; at least this has been my experience.

GN

Moogy....I'd take that one step further even, and as soon as you board, find the Maitre'd, or go to the Front Desk to find out where the table-change station is - then be first in line.

On our recent Zui cruise in April, it was a full ship and there were very few table changes being made. I would make this the first priority stop once on board the ship, even before heading to the Lido!;)

We booked our recent cruise 3 months in advance and were waitlisted for early seating. Was no big surprise that we of course got late seating, but we decided to roll with it and it worked great. Of course, with your elderly father, that is different circumstances and I can certainly understand why you would need the early seating. My TA, great as she is, had absolutely no control over the situation, however, anything you can do pre-cruise can't hurt - i.e., having the TA call or fax your request.

Good luck and happy sailing!:)

Moogy,

Since I know from your other post you are now in an SA suite, immediately upon boarding go to the Neptune Lounge and ask the concierge's help in this matter. You can also do as grannynurse suggested and go to the Maitre d' but one of the perks of booking a deluxe suite is that you can get your dinner time that you request. So if there is a space available, you should go to the top of the list.

Enjoy. Once you've had a deluxe suite, it will be hard to go back.

I usually book ahead enough to get my desired dining time, but once instance where someone sailing with us didn't get our dining time. Her TA put her on a wait list with HAL, she did eventually get our dining time and at our table. Not sure if sitting at our table had anything to do with having their time confirmed before embarkation or not, but that's what we did. It wouldn't hurt to have your TA put in the request and then check with the Matre 'D once onboard.

We also booked late on the Westerdam last year - and went to the Neptune Lounge. We wanted late seating and were given early. For the first night, we were stuck with our early seating but they changed it for subsequent nights.

By all means get the note from your father's doctor stating he must eat earlier. Blame it on medication and regimented eatting and bedtimes. Have TA fax it ASAP. Have travelled with someone who needs to eat late and we were assigned early twice. Both RCCL and NCL switched us to late within days of faxing the doc's note.

Thanks, I know what to do now. First I try the doctor's note. If that doesn't work, I will check at the Neptune lounge as soon as possible.

Moogy

Y'all are very helpful! ;)

Archived