QM2 July T/A Debarkation in Hamburg

Texwell

I would appreciate any input regarding debarkation in Hamburg. We arrive there at 5 a.m. and will board a train departing for Berlin at 11:00 a.m. Would you advise self-debarkation to ensure that we have plenty of time to make the train? I ask because I've read so much about the seeming chaos with immigration, lack of porters, etc.

If you leave the ship as late as 10h00 in Hamburg (some 5 hours after arriving) and take a taxi to the HAUPTBAHNHOF in Hamburg (main railway station), you should be able still to make the train to Berlin. Be sure to tell the taxi driver HAUPTBAHNHOF, since there are several train stations in Hamburg but you want the main one.

Even if you miss your train at just after 11h00, there are trains every hour to Berlin so you will not wait long for the next one. If you have a reservation on the ICE train and miss it, go to the ticket office either to get your reservation changes -- or else, just take the EC (EuroCity) train that leaves at 13h40 (1:40 PM) for which you do NOT need a reservation (even in First Class).

The 11h00 train has a dining car, the 12h00 train does NOT but the EuroCity train at 13h40 does have a dining car. So if you are pressed for time, consider having lunch on board the train. Otherwise, if you have some time at the station in Hamburg, there are some lovely deli-type places there where you can get a lunch "to go" and have a picnic on the train.

On the ICE trains, I always try to sit in one of the enclosed compartments but not all First Class cars have these. In any event, these trains are very nice (in case you have not been on them before) and you'll have a pleasant journey from Hamburg to Berlin.

For luggage, you should be able to get a push-cart at Hamburg station (most European stations have these, certainly the main ones). But if you happen to arrive at the station early and have some time to kill, consider putting your luggage into a locker, head across the street from the station (sorry, I know which side to exit but difficult to explain in words) to the Hotel Europa where there is a lovely terrace -- to have a coffee or tea. Or if you arrive much earlier than your train -- try taking an earlier train to Berlin. There is an EuroCity at 09h38 that takes longer than the ICE (high speed train) but not too much longer and First Class on the EuroCity trains is quite pleasant, I have found.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the information - it is very helpful. I do have two other questions:

• How far/how much travelling time from port to the Hauptbanhof?
  • Approximately how much is the cab fare?

Again, thanks for your helpful and thoughtful reply, Northern Neighbour!

Unfortunately, it has been some 20 years ago when I was in Hamburg. So I don't recall how far exactly it was. And of course any prices that I recall would not be of relevance now.

Hope someone else who has been there more recently can answer this question for you.

Archived