Best way to Galveston

agentJoey

We will be driving to Galveston to board the Conquest.

We will be coming from Mississippi. We will be driving I-55 to I-12 to I-10 to toll road that goes around Houston to I-45 into Galveston. Anyone know a better way. This of course is interstate the whole way and seems that it will be a fairly easy drive. Any info would be appreciated.

We will be driving to Galveston to board the Conquest...

You have the best route, and the toll road system beats all traffic patterns in Houston. Some might suggest turning off I-10 in Winnie and using the free ferry to cross over to Galveston Island from the Boliar pennisula, but I'd take the route you have in a heart beat. I've lived in the area for 47 years, and never been wrong with the toll system.

You will have $3.50 in tolls, one on the bridge and one past Fairmont Parkway, but smooth sailing all the way to Galveston.

Be sure to exit Harborside Drive and go left from I-45 and then parking options are many. The new causeway bridge is under construction, and the posted speed drops from 65 to 50...

We've had the best luck driving right up to the terminal, unloading the car and then I get the fun job of returning to park.

Note, Sundays are busy in Galveston, you have two ships doing a change over, so arrive early. We've boarded as early as 11:30am.

Your route looks good. Just time the toll loop around Houston at a non-peak time because it can get really ugly. Of course, Houston can get ugly in non-peak times. Once youa re south of Houston, your'e home free. Galveston is a hop, skip and a jump away. We'll be on the Conquest a couple weeks before you, so we'll leave her in good shape.

We will be driving to Galveston to board the Conquest.

We will be coming from Mississippi. We will be driving I-55 to I-12 to I-10 to toll road that goes around Houston to I-45 into Galveston. Anyone know a better way. This of course is interstate the whole way and seems that it will be a fairly easy drive. Any info would be appreciated.

Off the I-10 take hwy 146 S (towards LaPorte) down to Galveston or you can do the 610 instead of the Beltway(tollroad) to I-45

My dad likes to take the 146 route and make a lunch stop in Kemah, if you have the time. The Aquarium and Flying Dutchman are both really good for seafood.

I wouldn't take the 610 loop. That is always under construction and such a mess! YOu never know when they will have two or three lanes closed off.

My dad likes to take the 146 route and make a lunch stop in Kemah, if you have the time. The Aquarium and Flying Dutchman are both really good for seafood.

I wouldn't take the 610 loop. That is always under construction and such a mess! YOu never know when they will have two or three lanes closed off.

if you like burgers try Tookies just past Nasa Rd 1 .....YUM

Off the I-10 take hwy 146 S (towards LaPorte) down to Galveston or you can do the 610 instead of the Beltway(tollroad) to I-45

Sorry, but this route is full of trucks and has about 35 stops before you get to the port. Hwy. 146 does cross I-10, but the ride from there can be confusing to a visitor. 146 eventually links to I-45 South in Texas City, but that's a hour ride with little traffic.

As posted above, take the Beltway 8 Toll Road around the city, the traffic flows at 65 mph or better, and you will be just fine.

Kemah is nice, but crowded on a Saturday. You didn't say you'd be driving in the night before however...

The route you are taking is not under construction until the causway bridge over Galveston Bay. No traffic problems there.

Sorry, but this route is full of trucks and has about 35 stops before you get to the port. Hwy. 146 does cross I-10, but the ride from there can be confusing to a visitor. 146 eventually links to I-45 South in Texas City, but that's a hour ride with little traffic.

As posted above, take the Beltway 8 Toll Road around the city, the traffic flows at 65 mph or better, and you will be just fine.

Sorry ...we have been down 146 several times and it is much less stressful than the beltway(TOLL ROAD) we found the 610 and the Beltway congested at the best of times.

If the OP is not in a hurry 146 is a nice drive inspite of the trucks, you can stop along the way and see some sights without major hassle.

In life we have options!

we found the 610 and the Beltway congested at the best of times.

Let me get this straight... you post an address from Canada and you give advice to leave an interstate freeway and take a state highway full of stoplights. That makes sense to me :(

Second, you tell someone that the toll road system is congested when average speeds from the Harris County Toll Road Authority are above 65mph. These people have no need to go near the 610 freeway.

Also, the route (barely in the city limits of Houston) the original poster describes has light to moderate traffic on a Sunday morning, much less any other day.

I live in the Clear Lake area, spend $35.00 a week on the toll system in Houston and have 45k miles a year experience driving in Houston between my hospitals. I'd take the toll road in a second.

Anyone that drives from Miss and endures the I-10 traffic through Louisiana will do just fine on the non-stop freeway.

Let me get this straight... you post an address from Canada and you give advice to leave an interstate freeway and take a state highway full of stoplights. That makes sense to me :(

Second, you tell someone that the toll road system is congested when average speeds from the Harris County Toll Road Authority are above 65mph. These people have no need to go near the 610 freeway.

Yes I live in Canada that is why I posted from here.

We have spent time in Houston area and drive on the freeways and we did find it more congested compared to 146.

Maybe the OP likes to take the scenic road as compared to the freeways ...It was an option.

I prefer 146 but if you like the freeway that is fine.

Life is full of choices.

Be sure to check TXDOT for road closures for construction just before you leave home to see if your route on the east side of town is closed for construction so you can use a different one. Freeways are often closed here on the weekends for construction as they can not be closed during the week due to the high traffic.

Archived