Lahaina- how to get back to the ship without renting a car?

kml1211

Okay...

I have seen several posts about how easy it is to rent and drive on Maui- but I am going to be on vacation and drinking (Old Lahaina Luau) and would prefer not to have to drive back with my children when I don't know what condition I will be in. ( I am very vocal to my kids about not drinking and driving)

We are planning on doing the Kaanapali beach day (through NCL) taking a bus from the Sheraton down to Lahaina and then going to the Luau. Besides the transporation back to the ship, I also need to figure out where we are going to change and freshen up!

Any ideas?

KML

Other than a taxi, I don't know of any transportation that would take you from Lahaina to Kahului at that time of night. A taxi would be quite expensive, but may be the best bet for you in this case.

Because you are doing the beach day (at the Sheraton) through NCL, you may be able to use Sheraton facilities to freshen up and change. Best to check with NCL.

beachchick

OKay... I know that I have seen many threads talking about car rental, but does anybody have one that they recommend HIGHLY in Maui? Preferably one that I don't have to go to the airport to pick up the car? Also, since there are six of us, we will need a van (UGH! renting a VAN in Hawaii!) It's not really the route I want to go but we are not giving up our Luau!

KML

Pretty much every car rental on Maui will be from the airport. I don't know of any that have off-airport rentals in Kahului, certainly none that have locations right at the pier (although most have shuttle service from the pier to their airport locations). The airport is really close. I have no preference for which company, I just go with whichever major one is cheapest (and I often cancel and rebook if prices change). Renting a van will probably be very nearly as much (if not more) than taking a taxi back from the luau. I'm not sure how many the taxis hold though; you might need two. Have you googled private transport on Maui? There might be companies that do that, but I don't know.

And I applaud (and concur with) you regarding drinking and not driving. It's a big thing with me as well. If you do want to imbibe, it would probably be best to check into the actual cost of a taxi, how many the largest taxi will hold, and whether there are taxi vans or private van transport on the island.

beachchick

and even better the rental companies are not on the airport grounds but rather on the road to the airport. in a little industrial area all grouped together. one couple we talked to got on the wrong bus (alamo vs thrifty) out of confusion and the guy dropped them off at the correct place as , they are almost all in a row.

I have a related question about car rentals in the out islands in general, as well as a couple of specific questions about rentals in Maui. We're on POAm in early August.

I plan to rent cars in Hilo, Kahului for 2 days, and Lihue for 2 days (but not in Kona). Besides Enterprise, does any other rental company pick you up at the pier and take you to get the car (and vice-versa on the return)? In particular, I'd prefer to rent through Thrifty, if possible. If not, did you mention there are shuttles between the ship and the car rental places at the airport? How much time should I allow from the time I get off the ship until I get the car and, more importantly, from the time I return the car until I get back on the ship in each of the 3 ports?

For the 2-day rentals in Maui and Kauai, where do I leave the car at the cruise terminal overnight? Is there safe parking at the terminals? If not, what are the options?

I have read that the drive up Haleakala is pretty long and possibly difficult, depending on weather conditions and our body's reaction to the steep changes in elevation. Is that correct? We really want do drive up there, but I want to be fairly comfortable about possible physical problems because of the elevation and roads. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

FYI -- we also would like to do the Old Lahaina Luau the night we're in Maui, but I would prefer to use the rental car, since we'll have it the next day. Are the roads from Lahaina to Kahului difficult to negotiate/find at night?

Thanks for the input.

David

Most of the major rental companies do have shuttle service between the piers and the airports. Definitely reserve either by phone or on line. Make a note of the phone number of the local rental office you are using and give them a call before you disembark to ensure they are sending a shuttle. On both Maui and Kauai there is parking available at or near the piers. For the return of the car and to the ship, it's best to check with the rental company as to what time their last shuttle run will be. We always opted for one about an hour before the ship left.

The road for Haleakala has lots of curves and in spots a fairly steep grade. It is paved the entire way and does require the drivers strict attention. The only physical problems I can think of are the curvy road may cause motion sickness in some so if you are prone to car sickness, you may want to take something for it. The other problem is there is less oxygen in the air at the summit. For those with heart and/or breathing difficulty, you may want to limit your physical activity or maybe just stay in the car. Just remember that it does get cold at the summit, so long pants and maybe a jacket or sweater will be appreciated at the top.

Time to drive from Kahului to/from Lahaina is a minimum of 45 minutes. It can be more, depending on traffic/construction.

Driving at night on Maui: Piece of cake. Get a good map, and you will see that the major roads are pretty straight-forward. Even if you take the wrong one across the island, you will still be able to get where you are going. See if you can find the Maui Drive Guide when you get to the island. They might even have it onboard and/or at the car rental places. This is a really good, basic, easy to read map with some useful information.

Parking overnight on Maui and Kauai: Both have places nearby where you can park.

Time to get and return rentals: That's pretty much the same for Maui, Kauai, and Hilo. Allow about 1/2 hour to get the car, and the same on the return. It can be a bit more if there are many cruise pax trying to rent/return at the same time, but it's very efficient. Do be sure to leave yourself a bit of extra time for the return so you don't miss the ship.

beachchick

Thanks so much for the information. I've reserved rental cars for all 3 ports with Thrifty, and have the local rental office phone numbers. They gave me all the shuttle information for each port, as well.

I take it there is really no problem parking the car at the Kahului and Lihue piers? How about cost of parking?

Thanks again.

David

The road for Haleakala has lots of curves and in spots a fairly steep grade. It is paved the entire way and does require the drivers strict attention. The only physical problems I can think of are the curvy road may cause motion sickness in some so if you are prone to car sickness, you may want to take something for it. The other problem is there is less oxygen in the air at the summit. For those with heart and/or breathing difficulty, you may want to limit your physical activity or maybe just stay in the car. Just remember that it does get cold at the summit, so long pants and maybe a jacket or sweater will be appreciated at the top.

one other thing to look out for on that road are the worlds stupidest cows. they will just stand there and not give you a 2nd look. the problem is more prevelant as you attack hana from the "reverse way." we were stopped a couple of times by what we called "the cow police" but all kidding aside, if you were hauling around a corner and ran into one of these animals it would not be good for you or the cow.

Okay...

We are planning on doing the Kaanapali beach day (through NCL) taking a bus from the Sheraton down to Lahaina and then going to the Luau. Besides the transporation back to the ship, I also need to figure out where we are going to change and freshen up!

Any ideas?

KML

Avis has a rental location in Kaanapali. Make sure you call from Kahului. We have rented from them three times. Twice, everything was perfect. Once, we got to the hotel, called for the shuttle pick-up from Avis. Told us they were out of cars, even though we had a confirmed reservation. Had to find a way BACK to Kahului to get a car (the hotel shuttle took us, but it was $75.00). Could have been just one of those things, but it sure was inconvenient.

Kaanapali - JHM

10-3 Halawai St, Lahaina (Maui Island), HI 96761 , U S A

(1) 808-661-4588

Sun-Sat 07:00AM-05:00PM

I'm not sure why someone who is ported in Kahului would want to rent in Ka'anapali. Or are you suggesting a one-way rental (pick up in Ka'anapali after beach day, drive back to Kahului after luau, return car next day to the airport in Kahului)? Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea because transport from the ship to Ka'anapali is included in the excursion price.

beachchick

we will be cruising with Celebrity - with a scheduled overnight in Maui (Lahaina). This is a tendered port. Will this be closer to the Old Lahaina Luau? Or do we need to think about transportation - and how expensive are taxis? We are not going to drink and drive - we don't do it at home - and we are for sure not doing it somewhere we're not familiar with the roads.

This should bring you in pretty close. OLL is on front street in Lahaina. I would think a taxi should not be unreasonable, if even necessary( I don't know what the exact distances are.)

I'm JEALOUS! I wish were were tendered into Lahaina!

KML

I'm not sure why someone who is ported in Kahului would want to rent in Ka'anapali. Or are you suggesting a one-way rental (pick up in Ka'anapali after beach day, drive back to Kahului after luau, return car next day to the airport in Kahului)? Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea because transport from the ship to Ka'anapali is included in the excursion price.

beachchick

OP wanted to stay for the luau after the ship excursion returned to the ship. Needed one way transportation back to the ship. Didn't want to drink and drive, which I understand. Transport, other than hotel shuttle van, to Kahului is not readily available, to my knowledge. Avis is the only option I can think of.

we will be cruising with Celebrity - with a scheduled overnight in Maui (Lahaina). This is a tendered port. Will this be closer to the Old Lahaina Luau? Or do we need to think about transportation - and how expensive are taxis? We are not going to drink and drive - we don't do it at home - and we are for sure not doing it somewhere we're not familiar with the roads.

We too are crusing with Celebrity and will have an overnight in Lahaina (28 Sep 07 cruise ) and a second full day and want a rental car for both days. Is there a place in Lahaina or is the 45 minute shuttle to/from the airport the only option?

If you rent in Ka'anapali (as suggested by greatam) it would be much closer than the airport. And there is a shuttle that goes up and down the coast from Lahaina up to Ka'anapali (and farther)- I believe it has two stops in Lahaina and runs about every hour. If you check out the Lahaina city website it might show more details (couldn't tell you where I first heard of the shuttle). Or contact Avis directly to find out if they will pick you up.

Lahaina website:

www.visitlahaina.com

KML

OP wanted to stay for the luau after the ship excursion returned to the ship. Needed one way transportation back to the ship. Didn't want to drink and drive, which I understand. Transport, other than hotel shuttle van, to Kahului is not readily available, to my knowledge. Avis is the only option I can think of.

Yep, on reflection that's what I figured you must be suggesting. And it's a good idea, but Avis isn't the only option for a one-way rental.

atb: OLL is about 2 miles (max, might be a bit less) down Front St. from the tender pier. It is not, however, a nice night-time walk. The first part of the walk is great (and you should do it anyway) as it takes you along the waterfront and out to some residential neighborhoods, but then you are kind of in commercial/open/not-pedestrian friendly areas that are not well lit at night. A taxi is your best, and cheapest bet to get there and back.

You could walk down Front St. to the Lahaina Center (Hilo Hattie's is there if you are interested in that sort of thing) and pick up the shuttle (the one that goes to Ka'anapali). Get off at the Lahaina Cannery Mall stop. Walk toward the ocean and then cross Front St. to get over to OLL. After the luau, you could take a taxi back to the pier. (I don't think the shuttle runs that late.)

Street Party Rocker: Actually, there are two airports on Maui, so there is often confusion. The main airport in Kahului is, of course, the 45 minute drive away and no rental companies will shuttle to/from Lahaina. Luckily, they don't have to because almost all the rental companies have a west-side location to accomodate the West Maui Airport (commuter flights mostly). The car companies are all grouped together near the airport and about 10 minutes away from Lahaina. I believe they do shuttle to/from Lahaina (and I imagine Ka'anapali) to the west-side location. There is one company that has a location at one of the hotels on Ka'anapali.

For anyone considering a one-way rental (pick up west-side/drop at OGG): I don't know if any have a drop fee to pick up on the west and drop at Kahului airport, but I imagine it's done all the time. Best bet is to check the rental car websites and look for Kapalua or Ka'anapali locations on Maui.

beachchick

The airport code for West Maui Airport is JHM, use this code for pickup info if you are picking up car on Kaanapali side. OGG for Kahului airport locations. I tried Alamo online and when I asked for a 5 day rental I could pick up the car at JHM and return it at OGG without a dropoff fee, but if I used returning it the next day, it said they were out of cars. It would probably be best to call.

• 7 years later...

I am sailing on POA in June. Am I correct in understanding it is a short distance from the tender pier to Old Lahaina Luau in Maui and a cab would be reasonable?

Should we make our reservations early in order to get premium seating?

I will be with my ten year old granddaughter and would not be comfortable driving at night.

Thank you,

Joy

Edited by soubelle44

I am sailing on POA in June. Am I correct in understanding it is a short distance from the tender pier to Old Lahaina Luau in Maui and a cab would be reasonable?

Should we make our reservations early in order to get premium seating?

I will be with my ten year old granddaughter and would not be comfortable driving at night.

Thank you,

Joy

No, that is not correct. POA docks in Kahului, whereas the Old Lahaina Luau is in Lahaina - about 25 miles away, and approximately a $75 cab ride each way.

The tender pier that you are thinking of is for ships who use the port of Lahaina.