Vancouver Info if needed

Just by comparison, downtown parking can run over $20 per day. It often costs me over $10 just for a couple of hours in an office building. The other thing about Granville Is. is that you would save dodging all of the construction that is going on downtown.

After reading through this thread wanted to say thanks for all the helpful hints. I have booked a room at the Pan Pacific per your suggestions. Found they are running a summer special through tomorrow. Which works with our pre cruise arrival.

I would like to ask one question:

We will be arriving at hotel approximately 2:30ish on a Tuesday and will be cruising out the next day. So with that time frame in mind what two must activities would you do? One afternoon and one next morning prior to boarding ship.

There are lots of activities but your time is kind of limited. My suggestion for the afternoon would be to go over to Stanley Park, grab the free shuttle and see the park, perhaps in the eveining you might want to walk into Gastown or have a stroll on Robson St. For the morning I would book the pre-cruise tour offered by LandSea tours.

vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/

www.vancouvertours.com/

PD - those last two links aren't live - aren't working - missing a tag somewhere.

Cheers

Dennis

I am coming into the city tomorrow....after I have been to the Eye Institute at VGH and Costco downtown do you think I should just leave or what?;)

"after I have been to the Eye Institute at VGH and Costco downtown do you think I should just leave or what?"

How about staying overnight at your old stomping grounds - provided they have any rooms not occupied by one of the triathlon teams that are staying there and then spend an hour or so walking through the entertainment district in the evening etc and see if it isn't a lot better than it was when you had your business there.

Cheers

Dennis

"after I have been to the Eye Institute at VGH and Costco downtown do you think I should just leave or what?"

How about staying overnight at your old stomping grounds - provided they have any rooms not occupied by one of the triathlon teams that are staying there and then spend an hour or so walking through the entertainment district in the evening etc and see if it isn't a lot better than it was when you had your business there.

Too late I am back!;)

Do you happen to know the best and most cost effective way to get from the Vancouver airport to Canada Place on a Saturday morning?

Thanks

JoyceC

Good morning;

The least expensive way would transit but it isn't very effective, in the next 18 mos it will be because and ELS system is being constructed to connect the airport with downtown-Canada Place. Then there is the Airporter at $13.75 pp or $21.50 pp rtn. A taxi is the most effective and your fare will be about $35/40., maybe closer to $35 on a Sunday morning.

http://www.yvrairporter.com/

Joyce;

In a post on another board you have indicated that you are going to the Ballantyne terminal, if that is the case then your only effective option is a cab and your fare will be likely be closer to the $40 number. The Airporter does not go to Ballantyne and the neighbourhood is not one to be walking thru if you were to try transit.

Sorry Joyce; I realize now that it was a "JC in CA" who had made the post and the question was so close to your I just wanted to be sure that I had provided the correct information...my error. Yes Princess does depart from Canada Place and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

I think you meant to say WHERE does it dock in Victoria - you will dock at Ogden Point about 1.5 miles from the main downtown core - not a lot of coffee shops etc near the port - better to grab a shuttle if their is one or a taxi into the downtown core - once there everything is fairly compact and easily accessible on foot - you will need an early lunch because you have to be back onboard ship at least 30 minutes before sailaway and you have to get back to the ship from downtown - allow 10 -15 minutes if you are taxiing it.

I will let some of the Victoria natives suggest coffee or lunch places if your friends don't already have one picked our for you.

Cheers

Dennis

Has anyone ever stayed at this hotel?

It seems really reasonably priced for what is offered. They have full kitchen and living area. The photos look really nice. The description says that it is in the downtown area with everything in walking distance. I am just a little leary because it sounds too good to be true.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

What you have here is building that was built as and apartment building and converted into a long stay hotel. It cliental is likley family members from out of town who have a relative in St. Pauls Hospital which is only a block or two away. Urban trecker only lives a few blocks away and he could probably tell you more. But as you likely know it has very high reviews, it is in a good and quiet neighbourhood and you certainly don't have to be afraid of it because of its rate...it is kind of a sleeper. Its only downside is that it is a bit out of the swim of things in the sense that it is about 12/14 blocks to Canada Place 7/8 to Robson St and Pacific Centre but if that isn't a concern for you then you will be hard pressed to do much better unless you caught a promo at one of the mainstream hotels. So good value, good location, good reviews....go for it.:)

our last port of call on the way home to San Francisco is a day stop in Victoria. I am meeting a friend for coffee at 7am & another friend for lunch before we have to head back to sail at 2pm. We will be on the Dawn Princess, Does it dock in Victoria? Thank you

Ut has pretty much got it nailed and I won't bother with the restaurant thing because likely your friends know where they want to eat. If your friends are not going to pick you up or deliver you back to the ship, from recent personal experience your taxi fare will be about $10 either way.

our last port of call on the way home to San Francisco is a day stop in Victoria. I am meeting a friend for coffee at 7am & another friend for lunch before we have to head back to sail at 2pm. We will be on the Dawn Princess, Does it dock in Victoria? Thank you

Ther is a restarant/bar right at the pier. The food isn't bad. It gets really busy. I like it services breakfast as well. :)

Re the Sunset Inn - PD has pretty much described the place for you - it's one very short block to Davie Street village and it's excellent family fare type of restaurants - Stepho's for Greek food - there's a Denny's for breakfast - Kam's for Singapore food and their portions are large - KFC, Subway, and Quinzos for fast food fare - Moxies in the Sandman for more intimate dining.

You are close to the little ferries to get to Granville Island and while Stanley Park is a little ways away you can always take the bus down Davie to English Bay and access the Park that way or take the bus the other way and access Yaletown.

Davie and Denman Streets have more of a neighbourhood feel to them unlike Robson street which is Rodeo Drive north.

Check out this link for more info on the West End and English Bay area of our city.

http://www.englishbay.com

Cheers

Dennis

Ther is a restarant/bar right at the pier. The food isn't bad. It gets really busy. I like it services breakfast as well. :)

I 2nd this also. Off to the right side of the dock area as you leave the Port.

Hi there..I live in Vancouver and have worked at several of the hotels in the city..and have also worked on cruise ships before, so I've done more Alaska cruises than I care to admit..I'll gladly answer any questions about the city, cruising or what have you! :)

Shoppie:

We have booked a Princess 3-day pre-cruise package in Vancouver, BC in July. It includes a trip from the Pan Pacific hotel to Butchart Gardens in Victoria and an overnight stay at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, then back to Vancouver to board ship the next day.

Our question: Does ALL our luggage stay with us during our trip to and overnight in Victoria or must we leave our major luggage back in Vancouver, and just have an overnight bag with us?

Packing will be much easier if we knew this answer.

Thanks,

REDTOY

I believe that you have asked this question on another thread and while I suspect that all of your luggage will accompany you to Victoria, I really think to really get a difinative answer you would be better off asking Princess or having your TA ask Princess on your behalf. Unless you can connect with someone who has booked this tour in the past any answer is going to be a guess and even if you do, Princess's policy re luggage may have changed since they did the tour.