Vancouver Info if needed

Hello, I have enjoyed reading the boards for a couple of months now and hope you can help me with a few questions. I will be in Vancouver with my dad on the 31st prior to our cruise (leaving the 2nd). We will arrive at the Westin Bayshore early afternoon. I feel pretty good about our plan for sightseeing and have found several appealing restaurant options in Gastown and Yaletown. However, I did not feel as sucessful when it came to finding restaurants near our hotel.

Does anyone have suggestions for restaurants near the Westin Bayshore? We are not huge seafood fans (but it is not completely out of the question). My dad is also not super fond of Asian (even though I love it all). We both like pub and gastro pub type food as well as Greek and Italian. The restaurant must have beer or wine!

I have purused the link to the BC liquor stores, so I am certain I will find wine to bring on the ship. However, I tried looking at the various restaurant menus to see if there was a good place to sample several glasses of BC wine. While most had a couple of options, do you have any suggestions for a place that might have a more extensive list where I would be able to sample more than one or two? I am sure I will enjoy whatever I find to bring on board, but I do like trying different wines.

I love grocery stores (I once spent over 3 hours in one when I was in Germany). I know some will say the stores in Canada are probably not that different than the ones here, but since I know ther are variances even between the midwest and other parts of the US, I do want to take a look around. I believe I found a Whole Foods and Safeway near our hotel, but are there any other independent stores or chains that I might not be familiar with?

What would the approximate cab fare be from Gastown to our hotel? It appears to be about 1.5 km and while I am willing to walk, I am not certain my dad will be up to it after a day of exploring. Also, would the restaurant call a cab for us or will we be able to find one on the street? We will not have cell service while in Vancouver.

I appreciate your input and can hardly wait for the six days I have left here!!

Restaurants near the Bayshore: I would consider Lift and Carderos. There's also a new pub on the West side expansion of the convention centre, who's name escapes me at the moment (just west of Canada Place)

Taxi: it will be inexpensive, $7-9 I would guess; and yes, the restaurant will call you a taxi

Grocery Stores: Urban Fare at the corner of Bute and W.Hastings is an upscale chain owned by the Overwaite food group

Hello, I have enjoyed reading the boards for a couple of months now and hope you can help me with a few questions. I will be in Vancouver with my dad on the 31st prior to our cruise (leaving the 2nd). We will arrive at the Westin Bayshore early afternoon. I feel pretty good about our plan for sightseeing and have found several appealing restaurant options in Gastown and Yaletown. However, I did not feel as sucessful when it came to finding restaurants near our hotel.

Does anyone have suggestions for restaurants near the Westin Bayshore? We are not huge seafood fans (but it is not completely out of the question). My dad is also not super fond of Asian (even though I love it all). We both like pub and gastro pub type food as well as Greek and Italian. The restaurant must have beer or wine!

I have purused the link to the BC liquor stores, so I am certain I will find wine to bring on the ship. However, I tried looking at the various restaurant menus to see if there was a good place to sample several glasses of BC wine. While most had a couple of options, do you have any suggestions for a place that might have a more extensive list where I would be able to sample more than one or two? I am sure I will enjoy whatever I find to bring on board, but I do like trying different wines.

I love grocery stores (I once spent over 3 hours in one when I was in Germany). I know some will say the stores in Canada are probably not that different than the ones here, but since I know ther are variances even between the midwest and other parts of the US, I do want to take a look around. I believe I found a Whole Foods and Safeway near our hotel, but are there any other independent stores or chains that I might not be familiar with?

What would the approximate cab fare be from Gastown to our hotel? It appears to be about 1.5 km and while I am willing to walk, I am not certain my dad will be up to it after a day of exploring. Also, would the restaurant call a cab for us or will we be able to find one on the street? We will not have cell service while in Vancouver.

I appreciate your input and can hardly wait for the six days I have left here!!

Italian Restaurants close to the Bayshore are on the link below, I can vouch for Cin Cin & Ciao Bella. Cardero's and the Lift which are extremely close to the the hotel both have non-seafood items and are excellent. A cab fare from Gastown would be about $15 and any restaurant would be happy to call a cab for you.

You sound like a grocer on a busman's holiday. Urban Fare which an upscale market of the locally owned Overwaitea Food Group is about a 4 block walk to the east of the Bayshore, on Bute St.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/nf/14/1319/1335/Vancouver/Robson-Street-West-End/Italian-Restaurants

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos

http://liftbarandgrill.com/

http://www.urbanfare.com/store/coal-harbour

... Does anyone have suggestions for restaurants near the Westin Bayshore? We are not huge seafood fans (but it is not completely out of the question). My dad is also not super fond of Asian (even though I love it all). We both like pub and gastro pub type food as well as Greek and Italian. The restaurant must have beer or wine! <snip>

However, I tried looking at the various restaurant menus to see if there was a good place to sample several glasses of BC wine. While most had a couple of options, do you have any suggestions for a place that might have a more extensive list where I would be able to sample more than one or two?

Lift as already mentioned fits your food req; they have several local wines by the glass - I don't think you'll find a better selection in a more convenient location for the Westin. If you're willing to go a bit further for your wine sampling there are a couple of good by-the-glass lists in Yaletown - George (better-known for cocktails, but a lengthy wine list with high proportion of locals by the glass), Hamilton Street Grill (a very good value steakhouse with a surprisingly large local by-the-glass list), or Hidden (inside the Westin at Robson & Homer - not very well-hidden at all actually...) for example. I especially enjoy ending the evening in Hidden as the clientele mostly disappears after 7pm - it's extremely 'hotel business guest' focused - so you can easily get a comfy seat, interesting nibbles and very well-priced port.

You also mention beer above - personally I think the craft beer scene in BC is significantly better than the wine (not that we don't make good wines, but our beer is truly world-class). Almost every bar in Vancouver has at least a couple of 'micro-macros' on draft - like Granville Island or Whistler breweries - and both Rogue and Steamworks, conveniently located downtown, have a wide variety available (both owned by same folks, but the latter is brewed in-house where the former brings in other breweries products from all over BC, WA & OR). I would eat in Rogue but not in Steamworks - too inconsistent.

You could also consider one of our Izakayas - Hapa West End and Guu Robson are close to the Westin. Order for your dad - despite the Japanese names you can get pork chops, chicken wings, sausages and other acceptable-to-unadventurous-western-guys food. If he eats rare steak, try beef tataki - and if he likes that, order tuna tataki. It worked on my dad;)

Hope this helps!

Five ways to get there from your hotel and since I live nearby I think I can help you.

1. Drive - if you have a rental car but parking is always a challenge at this popular tourist attraction

2. Walk - out the from door of the hotel - around the corner and walk over the Granville Bridge - then 4th Ave ramp and follow the signs.

3. Bike - if you are bike friendly - up Drake to Burrard - over Burrard bridge and follow signs

4. Transit Bus - out the door of the hotel on Granville - there is a bus stop - take the #50 - False Creek south

5. Ferry - ***** - this is the one I recommend and probably the other locals as well - out the hotel - up two blocks to Hornby - turn left - waving at me as you do - and go down about 3 blocks to the Aqua Ferries dock - it's a short 3 minute ride across and you are right at the market.

As for eating - there is a food court in the Market and a number of upscale restaurants - including the Keg and Sandpiper - there are others - PD will add to the list later.

Hope this helps

Dennis

...Also any suggestions on eateries on Granville Island?

I usually avoid recommending anywhere I haven't eaten personally, but Edible Canada have a long history of excellent event dining and I've heard nothing but good about their recently-opened bistro. It's the only place downtown that only uses duck fat for their fries (if anyone knows different, please correct me!). They're all about local & organic produce.

I think UT meant the Sandbar rather than -piper; there's also Cats Social House (comfort/pub cuisine but with quite a West Coasty focus) as a cheaper alternative. My personal fave in terms of bang-for-your-buck is the student kitchen at PICA, Bistro101 - quality food and service from well-supervised students.

Vancouver's downtown is quite compact so all of the downtown hotels are pretty much within a mile of Canada Place. But here is a list of some:

The Pan Pacific (part of Canada Place)

Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Canada Place

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Marriott Pinnacle

Renaissance

Hyatt Regency

Fairmont Vancouver

Tower at the Terminal City Club

Metropolitan

Four Seasons

Rosewood Georgia

Sutton Place

Sheraton at the Wall Centre

le Soleil

The Wedgewood

(I know I have left the Coast Coal Harbour out, Ut:))

Yes that is what I meant - at my age the typing of words in relation to what my mind is thinking can be a challenge - usually catch them but was in a hurry to get out and enjoy the sunshine here today that I missed it.

Cheers

Dennis

Five ways to get there from your hotel and since I live nearby I think I can help you.

1. Drive - if you have a rental car but parking is always a challenge at this popular tourist attraction

2. Walk - out the from door of the hotel - around the corner and walk over the Granville Bridge - then 4th Ave ramp and follow the signs.

3. Bike - if you are bike friendly - up Drake to Burrard - over Burrard bridge and follow signs

4. Transit Bus - out the door of the hotel on Granville - there is a bus stop - take the #50 - False

5. Ferry - ***** - this is the one I recommend and probably the other locals as well - out the hotel - up two blocks to Hornby - turn left - waving at me as you do - and go down about 3 blocks to the Aqua Ferries dock - it's a short 3 minute ride across and you are right at the market.

As for eating - there is a food court in the Market and a number of upscale restaurants - including the Keg and Sandpiper - there are others - PD will add to the list later.

Hope this helps

Dennis

Thanks Guys! I will do the ferry.

I have one more question, what is the best way to get to Stanley Park from Granville Island? Also, would it be worth my time if I didn't get there until 5:30-6:00pm?

Thanks Again

Linda

Thanks Guys! I will do the ferry.

I have one more question, what is the best way to get to Stanley Park from Granville Island? Also, would it be worth my time if I didn't get there until 5:30-6:00pm?

Thanks Again

Linda

Getting you there is the easy part but sadly all tours of the park are finished at 6:30 pm so at 1,000 acres you really are not going to see much as the transit bus only makes one stop in Stanley Park. However if you still care to do it, then walk off the Island in a southern direction to 2nd Ave where you will catch a #50 bus to Granville and Pender and then transfer to a #19 bus to the Rose Gardens in the park.

I will be with a group of 7 staying 2 nights at the Sandman Downtown Vancou ver July 30 and 31. We are cruising on Aug. 1 northbound.

We booked our flights and hotel before realizing how far away the Butchard Gardens are. My question is are we crazy to try and visit these gardens and if not, how long and how much will it take us to get there. I know we could take bus to the ferry, the ferry to Victoria, and from there I am at a loss.We were told that these gardens were a must see.

Thanks for your time.

Maryellen Douches

I will be with a group of 7 staying 2 nights at the Sandman Downtown Vancou ver July 30 and 31. We are cruising on Aug. 1 northbound.

We booked our flights and hotel before realizing how far away the Butchard Gardens are. My question is are we crazy to try and visit these gardens and if not, how long and how much will it take us to get there. I know we could take bus to the ferry, the ferry to Victoria, and from there I am at a loss.We were told that these gardens were a must see.

Thanks for your time.

Maryellen Douches

If you were going to be in Vancouver for 3 full days or more then I would say .... go. But for what sounds like just a couple of days I would recommend against it. The gardens are going to take a full day and there is just so much to see in Vancouver. If gardens are a priority on you list of things to see then, while not of the same caliber as Butchart, we do have several in Vancouver that may interest you.

Dr Sun Yat Sen Gardens http://www.vancouverchinesegarden.com/

Van Dusen Gardens http://www.vandusengarden.org/

Stanely Park Gardens http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/gardens.htm

it makes for a long day, but it's a mini-cruise in itself. From downtown Vancouver (Sandman)

• Walk to Vancouver City Centre Skytrain station
  • Buy 3 zone ticket ($5) take any southbound train (YVR or Brighouse) to "Bridgeport Station",
  • board a #620 "Tsawwassen Ferry" bus at Bridgeport (same ticket as above)
  • Buy ferry ticket to "Swartz Bay" ($15), walk on ferry
  • Get off ferry, get on #81 bus for Butchart ($2.50)

The #81 bus only meets the odd hour ferries, so plan to leave downtown around say 07:30, gets you on the 9am ferry, 11am at Swartz Bay, noon at Butchart Gardens.

http://www.translink.ca/ - Metro Vancouver Transit

http://www.bcferries.com/ - The ferry system

http://www.bctransit.com/ - Metro Victoria Transit

However, there are lots of things to see in metro Vancouver itself.

Thanks for your time.

Maryellen Douches

Almost but not quite...;) I think maybe it would be a stretch but like Scot says it can be done... But I go along with PD more so and you can get a garden hit right in Vancouver.

Edited by LeftcoastBC

Don't foret there is also the Floral gardens in Queen Elizabeth Park and the botanical ones at UBC + Minter Gardens further east.

There is a faster way to Victoria - take the float planes from Canada Place to Victoria Harbour and then grab a bus to the Gardens.

Cheers

Dennis

You are quite correct Ut but the Minter gardens would require a rental car. I did know Brian Minter years ago as a florist and nurseryman out in Chilliwack. When he first proposed his gardens back in the late 70's I thought he was nuts...again I was wrong.:o

While ignored in the last few posts a great way to get to Butchart Gardens is via Pacific Coach Lines. While more expensive then transit it does save a lot of transferring.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

I will pass this info along to my group. It does seem like there are many things to see in Vancouver, so it is great to have other options. I am sure either way we will have a great time.

Maryellen

Lift as already mentioned fits your food req; they have several local wines by the glass - I don't think you'll find a better selection in a more convenient location for the Westin. If you're willing to go a bit further for your wine sampling there are a couple of good by-the-glass lists in Yaletown - George (better-known for cocktails, but a lengthy wine list with high proportion of locals by the glass), Hamilton Street Grill (a very good value steakhouse with a surprisingly large local by-the-glass list), or Hidden (inside the Westin at Robson & Homer - not very well-hidden at all actually...) for example. I especially enjoy ending the evening in Hidden as the clientele mostly disappears after 7pm - it's extremely 'hotel business guest' focused - so you can easily get a comfy seat, interesting nibbles and very well-priced port.

You also mention beer above - personally I think the craft beer scene in BC is significantly better than the wine (not that we don't make good wines, but our beer is truly world-class). Almost every bar in Vancouver has at least a couple of 'micro-macros' on draft - like Granville Island or Whistler breweries - and both Rogue and Steamworks, conveniently located downtown, have a wide variety available (both owned by same folks, but the latter is brewed in-house where the former brings in other breweries products from all over BC, WA & OR). I would eat in Rogue but not in Steamworks - too inconsistent.

You could also consider one of our Izakayas - Hapa West End and Guu Robson are close to the Westin. Order for your dad - despite the Japanese names you can get pork chops, chicken wings, sausages and other acceptable-to-unadventurous-western-guys food. If he eats rare steak, try beef tataki - and if he likes that, order tuna tataki. It worked on my dad;)

Hope this helps!

Restaurants near the Bayshore: I would consider Lift and Carderos. There's also a new pub on the West side expansion of the convention centre, who's name escapes me at the moment (just west of Canada Place)

Taxi: it will be inexpensive, $7-9 I would guess; and yes, the restaurant will call you a taxi

Grocery Stores: Urban Fare at the corner of Bute and W.Hastings is an upscale chain owned by the Overwaite food group

Italian Restaurants close to the Bayshore are on the link below, I can vouch for Cin Cin & Ciao Bella. Cardero's and the Lift which are extremely close to the the hotel both have non-seafood items and are excellent. A cab fare from Gastown would be about $15 and any restaurant would be happy to call a cab for you.

You sound like a grocer on a busman's holiday. Urban Fare which an upscale market of the locally owned Overwaitea Food Group is about a 4 block walk to the east of the Bayshore, on Bute St.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/nf/14/1319/1335/Vancouver/Robson-Street-West-End/Italian-Restaurants

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos

http://liftbarandgrill.com/

http://www.urbanfare.com/store/coal-harbour

Thank you everyone for all of the great suggestions!

I reviewed the website for Uban Fare and am very excited about it. It looks like my kind of place. Putterdude, I am not a grocer but perhaps I will be in my next career move :D

Martincath, Dad and I are planning on having plenty of beer and cocktails too - in fact our first stop will likely be the Granville Island brewery! However, I appreciate all of the additonal options for wine.

Now if only we can solve the "problem" of figuring out how to eat a dozen different meals in a day and a half! I am sure it will be a great visit.

Martincath, Dad and I are planning on having plenty of beer and cocktails too - in fact our first stop will likely be the Granville Island brewery! However, I appreciate all of the additonal options for wine.

While you're on Granville Island also consider Dockside in the G.I. Hotel. I find them much more focused on lagers which isn't my thing, but if you or your dad prefer lighter beer styles it might be right up your alley. And it's just a few minutes drunken stagger between here and GIB ;)

While you're on Granville Island also consider Dockside in the G.I. Hotel. I find them much more focused on lagers which isn't my thing, but if you or your dad prefer lighter beer styles it might be right up your alley. And it's just a few minutes drunken stagger between here and GIB ;)

I must have been reading your mind - just before I saw your post I happened upon the Dockside website (from the Granville Island eating section). My dad will LOVE the selections!!! I think we might even eat here since I am not sure where our last meal will have been. I am not a huge fan of lagers (I can't always distinguish between lagers and water - or am I confusing that with lite beer?), but I did see a selection or two that I am sure I could tolerate:p.

Again, your advice has been very helpful!!

I must have been reading your mind - just before I saw your post I happened upon the Dockside website (from the Granville Island eating section). My dad will LOVE the selections!!! I think we might even eat here since I am not sure where our last meal will have been. I am not a huge fan of lagers (I can't always distinguish between lagers and water - or am I confusing that with lite beer?), but I did see a selection or two that I am sure I could tolerate:p.

Again, your advice has been very helpful!!

For a good beer selection; I would recommend the Alibi Room http://www.alibi.ca/ or St Augustines http://staugustinesvancouver.com/

The former is a walk down (or cheap taxi ride) through not the best of neighbourhoods, the other is an easy trip on Skytrain

I concur (and heartily) with SBs recs of Alibi & St Augustines. The former has the best beer selection in the province, if not all of Canada; the latter can be too loud when busy but their food makes up for the volume...

Trying to tag photos as we departed from Vancouver and wondered if someone could tell me what the huge mountains of the yellow substance just beyond the Lion's Gate bridge is? Thanks

B. Cole